Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Be Bop deluxe story - What are your favorite BBd songs?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTull View Post
    The first two Ultravox albums also come before Drastic Plastic. Tracks like "My Sex," "Dangerous Rhythm," "Hiroshima Mon Amour," and "The Man Who Dies Everyday"... those are the first aesthetically '80s songs in the modernist sense. Then Be-Bop did "Electrical Language," "Blimps," "Futurist Manifesto," "Superenigmatix," "Autosexual," etc. Bowie gets too much credit. His Low sound was a lot rougher and less developed than these songs.
    Come to think of it, some of the tracks on Kraftwerk's Radioactivity album are the first links in the Ultravox/Be-Bop Deluxe/Tubeway Army train. Songs like "Radioactivity" and "Antenna" come to mind. After those, you could place the Ultravox songs you mentioned, then the futurist stuff from the Drastic Plastic sessions, then Numan. Don't forget, Be-Bop covered lots of other new ground on Drastic Plastic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Please tell!
    Setzer was the reason I picked up the guitar and I still love his playing. As do I Bill Nelson.
    Ironically enough, it was Rocket Cathedrals, from Axe Victim.
    Why 'ironic'? Well, it was the only BBD song NOT written by Mr. Nelson

Drastic Plastic, their last studio album, was the first I got and I fell in love with the songs on it, so I will always consider those my favorites.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    And the only BBD song with lead vocals not by Bill Nelson.

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    ...which is funny because "Rocket Cathedrals" sounds SO much like a Bill Nelson song title.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ...which is funny because "Rocket Cathedrals" sounds SO much like a Bill Nelson song title.
    true that

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    And the only BBD song with lead vocals not by Bill Nelson.

there's nothing *wrong* with that version...but he doesn't really do anything more that a faithful cover. i prefer when artists 'remake' the song, and get inventive with it. see, for example, annette peacock covering elvis' "don't be cruel" - hopefully i have this linking a video thing figured out: