Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Tree - New advert from Wilson on Twitter

Porcupine Tree - New advert from Wilson on Twitter

Steven Wilson posted a tweet with a strange 10-second video and link to sign up for more Porcupine Tree news.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 094814.jpg

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/s...09701951205378

I guess it's just to get us interested in an as yet unknown event (album, concert, or both?). Okay, I'm interested!
    Last edited by jefftiger; 10-28-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Hopefully this is the new PT album.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Can't imagine that it involves any sort of "reunion." Probably some sort of new compilation or release of an archived show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Can't imagine that it involves any sort of "reunion." Probably some sort of new compilation or release of an archived show.
    I agree. A reunion is still far more likely than a reformation though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

They've already put a lot of live stuff on Bandcamp, my bet is a new album but without Colin.

Some are worried it's just another reissues campaign.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    They've already put a lot of live stuff on Bandcamp, my bet is a new album but without Colin.
    This seems most likely to me, given the things we've already seen, like the registration of the PorcupineThree entity. A major campaign, including a new mailing list, for some reissues, boxed sets, or NFTs (as some Twitter fans are suggesting!) seems like overkill.

Some fans on Twitter (seemingly with lots of free time) have reversed the audio on the 10-second video and sped it up. It does indeed sound like a song, but I can't really get anything beyond that!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree. A reunion is still far more likely than a reformation though.
    Wots…uh…the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wots…uh…the difference?
    A reunion would be a one shot thing while reformation would be more permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    A reunion would be a one shot thing while reformation would be more permanent.
    I understood a "reunion" to mean 4 of the members of Porcupine Tree getting together to do....something, where a "reformation" would be Steven Wilson and a few guys calling themselves "Porcupine Tree."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    So why not Colin?

P ÷ T, carry the C = One White Duck On The Wall. The old math is new again.

Five years ago I would have said "eh new PT album who cares, his solo stuff isn't that far off stylistically" but given the style of the last couple solo albums I'd appreciate some new band material.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Five years ago I would have said "eh new PT album who cares, his solo stuff isn't that far off stylistically" but given the style of the last couple solo albums I'd appreciate some new band material.
    I agree. I don't think his new solo "stuff" has done what he thought it would. I don't think he found his faithful followers following him so much. He's been wheeling out a lot of PT material during his last tour and now all the live material etc. Theres been a lot of PT news after he made it pretty clear that wasnt in the cards before these last two albums.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I agree. I don't think his new solo "stuff" has done what he thought it would. I don't think he found his faithful followers following him so much.
    His faithful followers have followed. His followers that want more music that sounds like PT rather than wanting to hear what he's inspired to create have not.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    His followers that want more music that sounds like PT rather than wanting to hear what he's inspired to create have not.
    Agreed. And if there is a suggestion that SW would resurrect PT for commercial reasons then, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SW is on record saying that his solo releases have been considerably more successful than those of PT. Certainly the scale of his solo shows would suggest this is true.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Agreed. And if there is a suggestion that SW would resurrect PT for commercial reasons then, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SW is on record saying that his solo releases have been considerably more successful than those of PT. Certainly the scale of his solo shows would suggest this is true.
    This. ^^^^

But I sure wouldn't mind some new PT.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This. ^^^^

But I sure wouldn't mind some new PT.
    I'm totally down for more PT. Just dreading the inevitable "Wilson realized making music we don't like was a mistake and reunited PT because we demanded it" nonsense that we're going to hear ad nauseam from the No PT No Wilson sect when it happens.

^Add the cash grab nonsense we’re bound to hear, too. If this a PT reunion, then maybe they just felt like the time was right and there was music to be made, perhaps even fun to be had.

Or, shit, maybe it’s some kind of ego trip bullshit.

I suppose it likely doesn’t matter one way or the other.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I have no doubt there will be much Venn diagram crossover between the people grousing for a PT reunion and people who will call a PT reunion a cash grab.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I have no doubt there will be much Venn diagram crossover between the people grousing for a PT reunion and people who will call a PT reunion a cash grab.
    They're going to need a whole fleet of Brink's trucks to hold all the cash they're going to rake in from this Porcupine Tree cash grab.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They're going to need a whole fleet of Brink's trucks to hold all the cash they're going to rake in from this Porcupine Tree cash grab.
    They better reserve them now, before Carl Palmer rents them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    That is true but Porcupine Tree's fame has grown alongside Wilson's own and I believe that new Porcupine Tree album/tour has potential to make much more money than new Wilson solo album. But I could of course be wrong. Whatever... I welcome Porcupine Tree comeback.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

There was a new company registered in the UK a few months called Porcupine Three with company directors Wilson, Harrison and Barbieri listed;

https://find-and-update.company-info...VEB8C-V9WQJoQg

I think this is what we are getting.

Wilson's mysterious Twitter campaign for Porcupine Tree now features a tweet with the date "01.11.21". So, I suspect all will be revealed on Monday. #PTCC