Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Episode 6 (or 7, not sure) of Season 1 of the ultra-funny TV series You're The Worst

The characters are playing Sunday Funday, with a bunch of inhabitual things to do, one of which is pick out a vinyl in a B&M store

The main chick picks a Genesis compilation (a fake one... all white sort of like Three Sides Live)... Her English dude looks at it considers it non-valid because it contains both PG and PC tracks. He asks her to either choose PG or PC, and she says both, not wanting to xchoose. Calls the choice lame and starts sulking until she chooses. Sensing a trap, but not knowing why or how, she refuses to do so...

He finally explains how Collins is lame and mushy (like the mainstream crowds they both loathe) while mentionning Against All Odds and how Gabriel is so experimental and adventurous (which they both claim to be) while mentionning Solsburry hill... no real discussion on Genesis' music per se, but the subject lingers throughout most of the episode
    Last edited by Trane; 08-20-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

At this moment I often see a promo for a Dutch televisionseries, which features Locomotive breath by Jethro Tull.

I remember an episode of "Barnaby Jones", where Buddy Ebsen played Jethro Tull's, WIND-UP. Iirc, he found some clues in the sheet music.

On early 90's TV, during NFL 1/2-times, there was a short film recap of the previous weeks' hardest tackles and sacks. The accompanying music was Gentle Giant's, SPOOKY BOOGIE.

Suspended
    It probably doesn't really qualify as prog, but today in the city there was a busking jazz trumpeter playing what I eventually decided was a heavily tweaked version of "Against All Odds".

Not prog, but still Virgin in the 70s.

Too bad Ivor wasn't still around for his big payday - all they did is change 'doughnut' to 'bucket':

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I need to dig out some of my old Cutler, was the oddest thing I owned at the time

from Ians phone
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I once heard a muzak version of "Solsbury Hill" at an Olde Country Buffet.

PBS showed this documentary on the lives of insects once, and the promo had music by Ashra. Something off of Correlations, but I forget which track (either “Morgana da capo” or “Phantasus”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Latin pop star Shakira wearing a Relayer t-shirt

http://progarchy.com/2014/11/13/shak...f-yes-relayer/

President Obama saying that Trout mask replica is the basis of his political views!

http://the-fresh-aphorism.tumblr.com...ns-debt-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    President Obama saying that Trout mask replica is the basis of his political views!

http://the-fresh-aphorism.tumblr.com...ns-debt-crisis

maaaan, if this isn't a hoax, it looks like the Democrats have so much better musical tastes than the reps (Clinton was a sax player and played a few songs with Fleetwood Mac)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    I'm pretty sure it was Bill Clinton who praised to the skies the compilation album "Colors of the Day" by Judy Collins.

If you look at the political map of the USA showing which are the "red" states and which are the "blue" states, it's not surprising that musical tastes would differ. I would think - and hope - that it's just correlation, rather than cause and effect.

Listening to the radio a few days ago, I heard a rap song with the DJ scratching "Traveling Lady" by Manfred Mann's Chapter III.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I heard the beginning of 'Roundabout" on radio a few days ago, right before I stopped the car.

Well, not sure if this counts but I recently met someone at something that was not prog or music related who turned out to be a big music and prog fan. We both agreed it was rare and agreed to stay in touch. I need to tutor him on the newer stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    looks like the Democrats have so much better musical tastes than the reps (Clinton was a sax player and played a few songs with Fleetwood Mac)
    Republican Huckabee is notoriously taken by Yaz' Kris McGuire.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Maybe not quite prog, but I did hear Television's See No Evil at Walgreen's last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    Latin pop star Shakira wearing a Relayer t-shirt

http://progarchy.com/2014/11/13/shak...f-yes-relayer/
    Roger Dean never looked so good!

BTW, I saw the original painting for sale in a San Francisco music related art store. I forgot how much it was, but it wasn't cheap (duh)!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe not quite prog, but I did hear Television's See No Evil at Walgreen's last night.
    I heard the unplugged "swing" version of "Roundabout" at Walgreen's a few months ago.

I heard something by David Gilmour, probably from his second album, several years ago at a Walgreens(at least I'm pretty sure it was a Walgreens).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This morning, at the end of a piece about Obama being in Cuba, NPR closed with the first few bars of Have a Cigar, which I thought was cute.

^ Later that same morning, when Obama's assistant secretary went to the toilet at Raul Castro's house, there were samples off of Waters/Geesin's Music from the Body coming from down the loodrain. It was progressive, and therefore it can to some degree naturally be expected that Obama's secretary might dig Ayreon, Pekka Pohjola and the Third Ear Band as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A few years ago there was a young guy who was working at a t shirt store in the mall once who had Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Inner Mounting Flame" playing. I thought that was cool.

Also, I remember probably at least ten years ago I was in a bar and overheard a conversation a guy had with two friends(one male and one female). He was telling them he liked "progressive music." The other guy said something like "I never heard of that. I know of progressive house though." The guy responded by saying something "oh, bands like Rush." For some reason I didn't say anything but probably should have(I was sitting real close to them).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-22-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

If nobody mentioned it yet Erogenous Ed used to play prog at his dildo store.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

We used prog (and Black Sabbath) at closing time at an ice rink I used to work at to clear it out ...Ozzy worked better...LOL !
    Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, didn't seem too popular with the country crowd.....