Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins And Genesis Sell Publishing And Masters

Phil Collins And Genesis Sell Publishing And Masters

Info from UMusic.com-

Phil Collins and his bandmates in Genesis have sold both their publishing rights and master recordings to Concord Music for $300 million.

The purchase covers Collins’ solo career, solo recordings from keyboardist Tony Banks and guitarist Mike Rutherford, and music they made together in Genesis.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Concord President Bob Valentine said he hopes to introduce Collins’ music to a wider audience. “In the world we live in today with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, all these things that drive consumption of older music,” he said, “there are definitely ways for us as a record company to bring some of this music back to life.”

Back in March, Phil Collins, Tony Banks, and Mike Rutherford played together on stage as Genesis for the last time at an emotionally-charged O2 Arena . Former frontman Peter Gabriel was in the audience as The Last Domino? tour came to its final show.

“Tonight is a very special night,” Collins told the audience. “It’s the last stop of our tour, and it’s the last show for Genesis. After tonight, we’ll all have to get real jobs.” Revealing that Gabriel was in the crowd, he joked: “Maybe he’s the one shouting for ‘Supper’s Ready,’ I don’t know.” The official Twitter page for the WorldofGenesis.com fan site posted a backstage photo featuring Gabriel, Collins, and longtime friend and former Genesis tour manager Richard McPhail.

Phil’s daughter, actor Lily Collins, wrote on Instagram: “Tonite marks the end of an era. To have witnessed this last show was truly the memory of a lifetime and an event I shall hold in my heart forever. Endlessly grateful doesn’t begin to do it justice. So much love was left on that O2 stage and an even bigger amount shared between an audience who didn’t want it to end.

Just found out a similar piece on this topic was posted on the Music & Arts page. My Mistake.

This amused me. How BBC News summed up the band's entire career in under 50 words:

Originally fronted by Peter Gabriel, Genesis were formed in 1969 and became leading lights of the progressive rock scene.
    The band survived Gabriel's departure in 1975, with drummer Collins taking over lead vocals and eventually steering the band in a more pop-rock direction alongside Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Happy for the guys, but not the music...what's next, Genesis and Collins' classic songs used in a commercial for butt cream?

Remember when Jackson bought the Beatle's catalog? All You Need Is Love was used in a diaper commercial for Luv's Nappies..unbelievable.
    I hope every day Jackson has to watch and listen to that commercial on loop.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    This amused me. How BBC News summed up the band's entire career in under 50 words:
    So, the BBC confirm the 'Phil Collins ruined Genesis' rumours.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Happy for the guys, but not the music...what's next, Genesis and Collins' classic songs used in a commercial for butt cream?

Remember when Jackson bought the Beatle's catalog? All You Need Is Love was used in a diaper commercial for Luv's Nappies..unbelievable.
    I hope every day Jackson has to watch and listen to that commercial on loop.
    With McCartney sitting beside him.

...and then there was licensing...
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    With McCartney sitting beside him.
    ummm, not sure what you're implying here..all the interviews I've seen with Paul, he says he advised Jackson a good investment was to buy the rights to music. He was blindsided when he took his advise and used it to buy the Beatle's rights.
    It would be nuts for him to be happy about it, unless I've missed something.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Maybe we'll finally see hi res downloads of Genesis albums. Tony Banks apparently had no interested in this and only did the SACDs for the surround capabilities.

On the positive side, perhaps this gives impetus to better remasters. One can hope.

Other than them being $300 million richer, and hoping that a more fan-friendly approach to releases will be forthcoming, I’ve no idea what this actually means for the fans.

Basically, it means the band has lost any ability to control how their music is used- whether for, as noted above, butt cream, or for political purposes or whatever. That is now owned by those they sold it to. The music will be heard more frequently- as this i show the new owners make money, but it will also become ubiquitous. I think the members of the band realize they won't live forever and this way makes life easier for them- no succession planning, no need to fight over who can license what, etc.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    ...and then there was licensing...
    lol brilliant, thx for that hearty chuckle

maybe we'll get some 50th-anniversary box sets?? I fear it won't be the albums I really want a box set of though....
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

To be fair, thinking most of the I don't think we will hear Tresspass -> Wind & Wuthering in many commercials... even ATTW3, probly only FYFM will be exploited...
    I will be surprised If I hear "The Lamia" in a commercial!

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    To be fair, thinking most of the I don't think we will hear Tresspass -> Wind & Wuthering in many commercials... even ATTW3, probly only FYFM will be exploited...
    I will be surprised If I hear "The Lamia" in a commercial!

v
    The Lamia would be a cool name for a car!

(sarcasm on) Good move for them, I'm sure they desperately needed the money. (sarcasm off)

I'm glad this doesn't include the older Genesis songs with Gabriel and Hackett or Hackett might find that he would no longer be able to play the early Genesis material live and record it for release.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Concord President Bob Valentine said he hopes to introduce Collins’ music to a wider audience. “In the world we live in today with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, all these things that drive consumption of older music,” he said, “there are definitely ways for us as a record company to bring some of this music back to life.”
    Say what?!...back to *life*??! Coming from someone in the music industry, what a foolish thing to say...All those vinyl records, CDs, etc in people's homes for decades...all those memories of those Genesis albums...

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Say what?!...back to *life*??! Coming from someone in the music industry, what a foolish thing to say...All those vinyl records, CDs, etc in people's homes for decades...all those memories of those Genesis albums...
    Sadly that is the attitude of most of the mainstream music biz these days. Music is just content to be monetised with advertising.

I am guessing that Concorde's objective was solely the Collins output, but someone told them it was a package deal. And I am pretty sure that the guys have excluded themselves for having to pay when they want to play their own songs. Or else Rutherford's having a major problem on his upcoming Mechanics tour.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

Why does it matter to some fans that Genesis music might be used in commercials again??

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Why does it matter to some fans that Genesis music might be used in commercials again??
    No skin off my nose, I haven't watched a commercial in about 15 years! Thank god for the DVR.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If "Me and Sarah Jane" ends up in a commercial for some maybe-you'll-add-six-minutes-to-your-life cancer drug, I'll be annoyed. At least use it for an ad featuring an attractive woman dancing in the street because her psoriasis cleared up.
    Last edited by Splicer; 10-03-2022 at 02:59 PM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    ummm, not sure what you're implying here..all the interviews I've seen with Paul, he says he advised Jackson a good investment was to buy the rights to music. He was blindsided when he took his advise and used it to buy the Beatle's rights.
    It would be nuts for him to be happy about it, unless I've missed something.
    The post I'm replying to was wanting Jackson to suffer. Macca supposedly had the chance to buy the rights before Jackson but passed on it. So it's partly his fault and he should suffer too. Although the man who wrote the Frog Chorus is probably immune to suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    If "Me and Sarah Jane" ends up in a commercial for some maybe-you'll-add-six-minutes-to-your-life cancer drug, I'll be annoyed. At least use it for an add featuring an attractive woman dancing in the street because her psoriasis cleared up.
    Energy company fodder so it doesn't cost "too much money to keep them on."

In fact, co-ownership rights on Beatles songs are gradually returning to McCartney. I heard a podcast with Mark Lewisohn which delved into this- I was previously unaware of it.