Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Arc Of Life, new band featuring Davison, Schellen, Sherwood, Kerzner and Haun

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    It had a rotary phone with push buttons.
    Hmmm...I'd check it out to see what I missed, but then I'd have to watch the video again.

Let's hope this isn't representative of the whole album.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    The 80s called...They want their video back.

Who is the target audience for that?
    I'm assuming it was intentional to do a retro 80s video as a tongue-in-cheek sort of endeavor.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

BB.jpg

All I can say is, when you unbelievers open the lid, you'll get what you deserve!

Bs.jpg
    Last edited by Sean; 12-09-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Some of you be like....

"A fresh excuse to break out the whip! YAY!"

Ever notice how these same gripes pop up every time Billy does anything new? It's like the prog contingent is butthurt he didn't deliver a tried and true PROG OPUS and is bummed he wrote something more pop. Why are they looking to Billy for that anyway? Even Yes, the band he is in, does not always go there.

Don't you get it by now? That's his forte. Want that prog opus? Go play that new Wobbler or something.... You aren't getting it from Billy and are silly to look to him for it and to treat him like shit because it didn't happen. Just saying. I see a pattern here over the years.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-09-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Some of you be like....

Attachment 14647

Ever notice how these same gripes pop up every time Billy does anything new? It's like the prog contingent is butthurt he didn't deliver a tried and true PROG OPUS and is bummed he wrote something more pop. Why are they looking to Billy for that anyway? Even Yes, the band he is in, does not always go there.

Don't you get it by now? That's forte. Want that prog opus? Go play that new Wobbler or something.... You aren't getting it from Billy and are silly to look to him for it and to treat him like shit because it didn't happen. Just saying. I see a pattern here over the years.
    What if people listened to this track and the other sound samples and made their decision that it was not good for their own earst? Good is good and bad is bad no matter what genre one attempts to throw a track into. I didn't need to listen to the entire track to make my mind up.

This song/band is getting creamed across the 'net from the few prog-related places I can see.

I think therein lies the issue. The prog association sets up certain musical expectations that that are unfulfilled. It's like they are making an album for a different audience, but only the prog one really knows them.

Just my take.....

I think therein lies the issue. The prog association sets up expectations that that are unfulfilled. It's like they are making an album for a different audience, but only the prog one really knows them.
    What audience are they going for?

You'd have to ask them.

Or maybe there's a "Heart of the Sunrise" tucked in there we haven't run across yet? <shrugs>

I can only tell you MY reaction. And that's "Fuck, I'd hoped we'd get ONE Sherwood-helmed project where he DOESN'T SING LEAD!!!"

Seriously... when I heard of this, I thought, "Awesome. I don't mind Sherwood's songwriting or production abilities, and with JD singing, this ought to be a lot of fun." And what we get is Sherwood's strained "vocals" up front AGAIN, like with Circa and his myriad solo albums. I mean, what the hell? It's like having Freddie Mercury* and Lee "The Nice" Jackson in the same band and having Jackson sing half the material.

I'm glad Henry sorted out which songs JD is singing lead on, so I know which tracks to get when it's available on Amazon. I'm sorry. I just couldn't believe this. I used to think Sherwood sang lead on all his solo and band efforts because he was the only one available who'd do it for free. Now I think he actually believes he's lead singer material. It finally broke me and now I'm another music critic asshole. Sue me.

---

*Mercury used as an example for analogy purposes only. JD is very good, but obviously not a scratch upon Mercury in his prime.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'm assuming it was intentional to do a retro 80s video as a tongue-in-cheek sort of endeavor.
    I wouldn’t assume anything..

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    The 80s called...They want their video back.

Who is the target audience for that?
    Geezer creepsters! Trying the Asia vibe.....40 years later.
    Aaaand......using a High School video story line sung by guys that could biologically be her Grandfathers! Sorry... but “Marketing Miss!” Wish them all the best tho.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

You clearly explained why you feel the way do. Thanks for that, Thomas.

Don't you get it by now? That's his forte. Want that prog opus? Go play that new Wobbler or something.... You aren't getting it from Billy and are silly to look to him for it and to treat him like shit because it didn't happen. Just saying. I see a pattern here over the years.
    Two things. First, this new song is just not very good IMO. I like a lot of pop. I like a lot of AOR. This song doesn't cut it in either of those domains. The main riff is anemic. The chorus is cliche, both in terms of melody and lyrics. For me, it has nothing to do with Sherwood or his voice. It wouldn't be any better if JD were singing it.

Second, just go back and listen to the Circa Windmill album. Some totally credible "prog opuses" on that one. Sherwood can and does write them, and when he does, I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    First, this new song is just not very good IMO. I like a lot of pop. I like a lot of AOR. This song doesn't cut it in either of those domains. The main riff is anemic. The chorus is cliche, both in terms of melody and lyrics. For me, it has nothing to do with Sherwood or his voice. It wouldn't be any better if JD were singing it.
    That's really the material point, I'm afraid. That said, the riff was in my head while I was making lunch today, but I couldn't hum it to you now.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I meant you aren't getting it from Billy THIS TIME. Though even those Circa epics aren't enough to satisfy many here.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    https://goldenrobotrecords.com/alumni/ava/

And then, there’s this.

Maybe Squids can comment.
    Wow that's a public page? Weird. Well, from what I understand it was going to be called that and possibly with that label I think but it evolved into Arc of Life with me and it's now on Frontiers record label. I prefer Games Without Frontiers!
    Last edited by Squids; 12-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.

I wasn't sure what I expected from this lineup. I did not expect a prog masterpiece - Frontiers is not known for that. They are a label that specializes in '80s rock and rockers from that era with a strong slant on melodic rock or melodic metal. They obviously released records also from Asia and Alan Parsons - two proggy-pop bands that I adore and was kinda thinking that AOL might fall in that realm. This song kinda leaves me baffled. The vocals (as have been mentioned) are clearly not a strong suit on this song. I see Squids playing keys, but darned if I can hear what he is playing. It is also sounds like it is missing something - not sure what - keyboards maybe? - but it feels "demo-ish" to me. It sounds like it might have fit on a Conspiracy record? As a fan of bands like Asia/APP/GTR/World Trade, I was looking forward to this a lot.

The press blurb that they threw out there says:

"The concept behind Arc Of Life is, in keeping with the progressive rock philosophy, to craft creative, challenging and ear-pleasing music that pushes boundaries.

Sherwood describes the music as, “interesting, with well-crafted songs, performed with precision and grace. All songs feature memorable melodies and lyrics that take the listener on a sonic adventure. Dynamic arrangements with peaks and valleys ... it's all there.”
    The other idea behind the band is that YES would be a clear point of influence. But while YES is clearly the main point of comparison, a lot of musical similarities can be drawn to describe Arc Of Life’s grandiose and epic approach to music.
    In Davison’s words, “Each YES member understands and supports when others may desire to explore and thrive along new artistic avenues. We then each find further inspiration to bring back to the YES fold.”
    But all the descriptions are best left to the listeners to discern for themselves as repeat listens will reveal more layers.
    A press release said, “Arc Of Life is a true garden of delight for progressive rock fans, and the band is looking forward to performing live.”
    “Once the world gets over the COVID hump, Arc Of Life will be planning as much touring as we can fit in between YES and our other projects. Quite honestly, we’re all chomping at the bit to be out performing again!” Davison said."

I don't know. I am looking forward to hearing a well-crafted song that features memorable melodies from this band.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 12-09-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I scanned through all of the songs on iTunes. It seems like Sherwood is singing lead on most of them.

It also looks like Kerzner was recorded elsewhere and added into the video.

Makes me wonder if the Ava project-that I linked to on previous page-morphed into Arc of Life:
    You guys are way too clever! Especially Henry! haha. But he is the YES expert so...

I didn't even know the Ava project was made public at all but I heard about it. I'm not the authority on that subject or the story behind it but I CAN tell you that I was added into the mix after the songs were already written and I wasn't asked to co-produce, engineer or sing. Just keyboards for now but on the next album the idea is that I will at least co-write with the band. The songs are mostly written by Billy and Jon so naturally it would predominantly be their style... which tbh you either like or you don't.

Would I do songs differently? Well, yeah I mean I already do. I linked to some In Continuum tracks a few pages ago that happen to have Jon. I've released things I've done with Billy and if you haven't heard my solo albums or Sound of Contact, that'll give you an idea of my songwriting and production style if you don't already know. BUT... I am also a keyboard player and it's fun to join these guys on this adventure.

I did expect there to be the typical Pop vs. Prog and "will the real Yes please stand up" controversies and endless debates. I'm not stupid. I know what I signed up for regarding that! However, man, I just love these guys. They have a lot of talent and experience. Much to learn from them I have (say that in Yoda's voice for full effect). And if they want more from me down the line then that would be really cool! In the meantime, I'm still writing my own albums regardless so... the idea of touring with Arc of Life, a band of great people I admire and enjoy hanging with (and hopefully playing some cool Yes tunes too in the set! I'm practicing my Yes keys just in case!!!) is quite simply FUN! Can't wait till that can happen safely and I'm sure the shows will be full of energy and all kinds of surprises.

Some of you be like....

Really a bit of what I was expecting it would sound like. Vocals & harmonies are excellent and it sounds well mixed without me putting on headphones yet. Perhaps other songs on this album will sound different and perhaps Jon will sing lead on some of them. What are the chances of that happening. ;-)

Spot on, Sean. At soon to be fifty-six (though with Covid I 'm going back in time to growing out my hair a bit, only getting younger so I will say forty-something ;-) ) YES-fan, fan of All Things YES, and Billy and the rest of "the boys", I still consider myself a younger YES-fan. And as you most of you all know, the older YES-fans are, well, DAMN OLD.

Most take a full minute to piss out a meager steam, let alone do most things that pass for acceptable from when they were actually younger. Okay, certainly not all of you. Bitching is something my wife does well, along with many folks who could probably hold off and say nothing at all after hearing the first song, probably just once. I love P.E. where there are also a lot of so-called YES-fans who do the most polite versions of dissing YES, or Jon Davison. My favorite rather recently here was when someone wrote, I live Jon Davison's singing, but not with YES. Life us too short to bitch and moan; and yes, even be grumpy. ;-)
    That being said, there are so many good oeople on here with a wealth of music knowledge and information, but prog is such a limited group genre, that it matters little to the masses. Perhaps like the god-awful Owner, this group may be a gateway to future fans and musicians for those whi really aren't versed in prog, yet. ;-)

Thank goodness some of my favorite's are still making music and will be touring, again, sometime in the future. Warts, old age and all despite old grinches. :-)

I think therein lies the issue. The prog association sets up certain musical expectations that that are unfulfilled. It's like they are making an album for a different audience, but only the prog one really knows them.

Just my take.....
    I don't think that is a problem. I believe that most people are open to other kinds of music than prog if the music is good. This new song from Sherwood and the company clearly is not very good effort on any level.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

it just feels like a bit of cruel joke to have billy on lead vocals when jon is in the band lol

Some of you be like....

Ever notice how these same gripes pop up every time Billy does anything new?
    Possibly because he often doesn't do anything new? That's one problem with what I've heard so far: it all sounds a lot like CIRCA:, Yoso, Citizen etc. I think the most-loved musicians show development and change from album to album.

Consider Steve Howe's most recent 3 solo/trio releases: Love Is, New Frontier, Time. A track from any one of those would stand out on either of the other albums. They're all recognisably Steve Howe albums, but they each bring something new.

Also, this is meant to be a band with 5 musicians in it. We didn't know, until now, that it would sound so Sherwood heavy. I was hoping that Davison and Squids would bring more variation from the CIRCA: mould. The best bands sound like more than the sum of their parts: that single sounds like less than the sum of the parts. I remember when Squackett came out: you could hear the Squire elements and the Hackett elements, but the collaboration brought something extra as well.

It's like the prog contingent is butthurt he didn't deliver a tried and true PROG OPUS and is bummed he wrote something more pop. Why are they looking to Billy for that anyway? Even Yes, the band he is in, does not always go there.

I don't think that's fair to Sherwood or the fans. (I'm picking a fight in order to add some exciting tension to our SOAL chat on Saturday!) Sherwood has a range: this single, like Yoso, is at the poppier end of that range. But he's also done albums like Valley of the Windmill or songs like "Homeworld". Arc of Life's promo hypes up their Yes connection and says things like "The concept behind Arc of Life is, in keeping with the progressive rock philosophy, to craft creative, challenging, and ear-pleasing music that pushes boundaries." If that's your pitch, I suggest you pick a first single that delivers on that.

Also, I love a PROG OPUS, but I also love pop. I've spent most of the last month listening to the new Dua Lipa album. I'm happy to get pop, but make it good pop, make it pop that sounds like the musicians have noticed the last 30 years of other pop music. I threw up a quick Twitter poll comparing "You Make It Real" to the new DBA single. DBA are ahead 11:1.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Maybe it'll grow on me, but I'd say it's weaker than the last thing I got [...] with Kerzner on it (In Continuum's Acceleration Theory Special Edition Parts One & Two)!
    Correction: the last thing I got with Squids on it was The New Empire's Second Lifetime, which I would also recommend.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Some of you be like....

Ever notice how these same gripes pop up every time Billy does anything new? It's like the prog contingent is butthurt he didn't deliver a tried and true PROG OPUS and is bummed he wrote something more pop.
    He's not owed kudos - no one is for any reason. I do agree that people who think Sherwood is going to deliver anything except a third-rate watered-down wannabe Rabin sound are mistaken.
    Last edited by Splicer; 12-10-2020 at 07:32 AM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet