Thread: Gazpacho's new album - Soyuz

Gazpacho's new album - Soyuz

I had a quick look through recent threads but don't seem to have seen anything about Gazpacho's new album Soyuz?

If you're familiar with their music, then I think you'll find a lot to enjoy in this one too. It certainly surprised me, as I was beginning to drift a bit on their more recent albums, but this one is turning out to be a favourite.

If you haven't heard them before, or are wondering why the album won me over, I've posted a wee blog review for you:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....ho-soyuz-2018/

And if you're going to see them on their current tour, it looks like a great setlist.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Another nice review! I haven't listened to a lot of Gazpacho, but some. Recently I played a Marillion song on Spotify, and Spotify then went on to play other songs based on that choice. One song sounded very good, and enough like Marillion that I really liked it. I looked and was surprised to see it was Gazpacho. I think it was from their Night album. Anyway, that and this review make me want to listen to more of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Another nice review! I haven't listened to a lot of Gazpacho, but some. Recently I played a Marillion song on Spotify, and Spotify then went on to play other songs based on that choice. One song sounded very good, and enough like Marillion that I really liked it. I looked and was surprised to see it was Gazpacho. I think it was from their Night album. Anyway, that and this review make me want to listen to more of their music.
    Cheers for the feedback!

Night is definitely a high water mark in the band's catalogue, and well worth making that your kick-off point. They'd found their feet and started to shed the overt Marillionisms of their early albums.

"To suggest that we can learn anything about the simian nature from a study of Marillion is sheer nonsense"

I came on board a couple of albums later, once they'd signed to Kscope, and I did enjoy them, but once Kscope gained the rights to reissue Night and Tick Tock, those quickly became my favourites. And they're the albums that are consistently included in the live setlists.

But equally with the new one, I think it'll make an enjoyable entry point.

BTW, do you know if the song Soyuz Out is based on a real death in the Soyuz program? I'm looking at some of the Soyuz deaths but only finding ones with more violent tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    once Kscope gained the rights to reissue Night and Tick Tock, those quickly became my favourites. And they're the albums that are consistently included in the live setlists.

But equally with the new one, I think it'll make an enjoyable entry point.
    Somewhat agree. I rate Tick Tock as their best, partly because it's got a good mix of hooks and groove... i.e. they do some drifting but not for quite the long stretches of Night.

Soyuz seems like more of a sleeper than most. It seems like a strong entry in the catalogue, but so far I wouldn't recommend it before the (so to speak) classics.

You know, I never thought to look it up - I just let my imagination go with the lyrics and the mood, which seemed to suggest to me that the pilot had simply drifted away.

Turns out that he did indeed crash back to earth - it was the first Soyuz mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    You know, I never thought to look it up - I just let my imagination go with the lyrics and the mood, which seemed to suggest to me that the pilot had simply drifted away.

Turns out that he did indeed crash back to earth - it was the first Soyuz mission.
    Yeah, that's what I saw too. I guess that would have made for an even shorter album! I like the drifting off into space idea better...

I'm liking this better than the other Gazpacho LP's I've listened to. Subdued but with great sense of melody and atmosphere - two things that do not often coexist!!!
    The Prog Corner

Another grower. Each album i say they've jumped the shark and then end up liking it. i'm not sure where i would rate this as their 10th release...but better than Missa Atropos which i think is the weakest overall of their more current output.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Another grower. Each album i say they've jumped the shark and then end up liking it. i'm not sure where i would rate this as their 10th release...but better than Missa Atropos which i think is the weakest overall of their more current output.
    Wow! Missa Atropos is my favourite Gazpacho album.

This new album did not do much for me.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I like these guys, but I do find them a bit samey from album to album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I like these guys, but I do find them a bit samey from album to album.
    i find this comment strange...unless you're referring to the vocals or some of their chordal half-time feels...each album they've done at least SOME things differently in instrumentation (accordion, sounding stones, choirs, old clips, jazz feels, space)...to me they're one of the better current bands out there who aren't painting by the numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i find this comment strange...
    Yeah, I don't hear it either. You can hear a through line when following the albums in sequence, sure, but there's a definite (if gradual) progression. Each one's a shift from the last.

I think a bit part of it is indeed the vocals. Who knows, maybe I just haven't listened enough - although I do have seven of their CDs.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I agree with Progatron on this one, there is a groove that they have that tends to remain from cd to cd giving them a bit of a "samey" sound. Its a good sound nevertheless. (I have 5 or their CD's)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "