Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Genesis - Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thank you so much. Funny you believe it was possibly from the 2007 Remixes by Nick Davis because I am not a fan of those remixes at all. I have them from Trespass through Calling on Stations on cd(bought individually), and recently purchased the 1983-1998 on vinyl, but never got the Seconds Out version...
    but the debate on those mixes continues.........lol

thanks again
    I have to own up here, I forgot to ask Simon about this!

I'll find out, and let you know...

Thanks!
    Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I have to own up here, I forgot to ask Simon about this!

I'll find out, and let you know...

Thanks!
    Mike
    Oh, that's ok, we pulled the Seconds Out CD(Definitive Edition Remaster) on Sunday and cranked it up and it sounds wonderful.
    I want to thank you for posting this podcast with Seconds Out as the topic. I hadn't listened to it in ages and have since upgraded my audio set up to a dedicated cd player(Onkyo) and Wharfsdale Diamond 10.1 speakers and it sounds great on the new system.

This tour was the first live show my wife and I attended together, April 20, 1976 at Ford Auditorium in Detroit Michigan.
    I had seen The Lamb and Selling England tours, but we weren't together yet, but listening to this on Sunday took us back in time. My wife commented to me, I still remember what outfit I wore that night... Genesis has that affect on people I guess.

Thanks again.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

For those of you who are interested, the long awaited Tony Banks interview has been posted.
    Don't know why it wasn't posted here, but it showed up in my FB feed the other day.
    http://tabletopgenesis.com/
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Good news, I’ll queue it up for my Monday commute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

yeah I enjoyed the Tony Banks interview quite a bit. The only thing I hoped is he might comment about Fish's vocal duties on some of his music.

Great interview! Enjoyed all the discussion about his three orchestral albums. Thanks for posting!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Good news, I’ll queue it up for my Monday commute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    yeah I enjoyed the Tony Banks interview quite a bit. The only thing I hoped is he might comment about Fish's vocal duties on some of his music.
    I was looking for the Fish comments as well, since he discussed Toyah from the Soundtracks album(which coincidentally I had found an old cassette version of and burned it to CD last weekend), and Fish sang on that as well as on Still.
    It's been decades since we've listened to it, and my wife really enjoyed it and even commented..."THAT'S TONY???" lol
    We listen to Genesis around here as much as we eat Pizza, and that's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Great interview! Enjoyed all the discussion about his three orchestral albums. Thanks for posting!
    Yes, I felt a little too much time frankly, but Tony can get a bit prickly if you discuss the past too much, so I felt the interview had to be more about his present solo work, besides most of the Genesis stuff has been pretty much covered.
    I found it interesting he spoke honestly and said he thought 7 was the best of the 3 orchestral works.

Don't know why zorknapp skipped Progressive Ears and hasn't posted, I'm going to give him a heads up on FB.

I wasn't at work on Friday, and that's where I do most of my Progressive Ears posting from (shhhh, don't tell my boss!)

Yesterday and today have been a bit busy, so I'm just popping in here now, I'm glad to see the interview found its way to you all, even without my poking and prodding...

I really wanted to talk a lot about the orchestral albums, mainly because I think that they're good pieces of work, and the most recent of his music that's available to all of us. I also wanted to make the connection about perhaps *how* to listen to this music, as it may not be in all of our wheelhouses, to know what to listen for. I think Tony did a great job talking about the tracks.

We also had a 'hard out' for when the interview had to end, or else I would have also covered Strictly Inc. (which we really missed entirely), and Bankstatement (which we touched on, but I would have loved to discuss 'The Border' a bit with him).

As it was, Tony was really giving of his time in the interview, and really talked in depth about all of this music. I made a point of not asking direct questions about Genesis, but of course it comes up anyway...

Any questions about the interview? I'd be happy to discuss...

Thanks again to you all for listening!
    Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

No need to explain where you've been, we value your work and your posts here.

One did get the sense you were under time restraint and with so much to ask in so little time, I think you did a great job.
    He seems very happy with 7, which is good to hear, and I think it fulfills something within him the group thing never could.
    And yes, he does sound disappointed on how his solo career had gone as compared to PC and MR, but then again as a fan I love his solo albums, but his composition style does not lend itself to reaching the masses.

Thanks again Mike, you all are doing a great job..

I made a point of not asking direct questions about Genesis, but of course it comes up anyway...
    It's often like that, I find. These things are such a huge part of these musicans' pasts, and they are so used to being asked about them anyway, it just comes out naturally. Last week I interviewed Martin Barre about his new album and I went through all eleven tracks with him in detail - and he still brought up Tull on numerous occasions... how could he not I suppose? It was the same with Steve Hackett who spoke of Genesis a lot, Don Airey brought up Rainbow several times, etc. etc... I've learned to wait for those moments and then casually ask a question or two about them - a sort of "Since you brought it up" kind of thing. I find I get the best interviews when I begin by focusing heavily on a musician's latest work - they are always appreciative of that.

Anyway, again, great interview and I will be listening to it again. I'm a huge fan of Tony and I'd love to interview him one day. To my huge disappointment, we didn't get him when Five was released (I would have had a field day with that as I love the album) and there isn't a lot on the horizon for him, but I remain hopeful.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

not related to the latest podcast, but if some might be interested, a quick quiz online was setup about The Lamb
    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/quizz...broadway-quiz/

not related to the latest podcast, but if some might be interested, a quick quiz online was setup about The Lamb
    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/quizz...broadway-quiz/
    10/10. Although I sort of half-guessed at #10, had to think back to my bootleg tape trading days and got lucky there. The rest were no-brainers.

No need to explain where you've been, we value your work and your posts here.

One did get the sense you were under time restraint and with so much to ask in so little time, I think you did a great job.
    He seems very happy with 7, which is good to hear, and I think it fulfills something within him the group thing never could.
    And yes, he does sound disappointed on how his solo career had gone as compared to PC and MR, but then again as a fan I love his solo albums, but his composition style does not lend itself to reaching the masses.

Thanks again Mike, you all are doing a great job..
    Thanks, we appreciate that you all appreciate it.

We discuss this a bit in our wrap up at the end, but I think Tony is really okay with how things turned out. He would have liked more solo success, but he also realizes that he had such huge success with Genesis that complaining about the lack of solo success isn't really necessary. And, he does know that there are fans out there who really enjoy his solo work.

Tony arrived at The Farm at 10am, and we had till 11am to talk. So, after setting up, and explaining podcasts to him (which he generally knew about, but not in detail), we jumped right into it.

As I was saving the audio files at the end, he was kind enough to sign a whole bunch of stuff for me, and we had a nice casual chat. I found him to be warm and charming, and also very direct and honest.

Thanks again for listening...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's often like that, I find. These things are such a huge part of these musicans' pasts, and they are so used to being asked about them anyway, it just comes out naturally. Last week I interviewed Martin Barre about his new album and I went through all eleven tracks with him in detail - and he still brought up Tull on numerous occasions... how could he not I suppose? It was the same with Steve Hackett who spoke of Genesis a lot, Don Airey brought up Rainbow several times, etc. etc... I've learned to wait for those moments and then casually ask a question or two about them - a sort of "Since you brought it up" kind of thing. I find I get the best interviews when I begin by focusing heavily on a musician's latest work - they are always appreciative of that.

Anyway, again, great interview and I will be listening to it again. I'm a huge fan of Tony and I'd love to interview him one day. To my huge disappointment, we didn't get him when Five was released (I would have had a field day with that as I love the album) and there isn't a lot on the horizon for him, but I remain hopeful.
    It's true, Genesis will come up as a context marker, if nothing else. I knew it might come up when I asked the lyric writing question, and I would have loved to get a bit more detail about what he wrote on FGTR.

One thing I was able to do, that I don't know if it's obvious in listening to it, is that when I felt that Tony would get onto 'autopilot,' talking about A Curious Feeling, for example, answers I had heard him say elsewhere, I was able to ask a quick additional question, that got him into an area that I hadn't really heard him talk about. For instance, when he brought up the song "You," I was able to dive into some of my own quick thoughts about it, that got him to go off on songs about 'love gone wrong' which was a fun aside.

I'd love to be able to talk with him at length, to really go through *everything* from his solo and Genesis career, but I know that's most likely not in the cards. This was great though, and was one of my goals when we first started the podcast, to get a sit down interview with Tony.

Mike

One thing I was able to do, that I don't know if it's obvious in listening to it, is that when I felt that Tony would get onto 'autopilot,' talking about A Curious Feeling, for example, answers I had heard him say elsewhere, I was able to ask a quick additional question, that got him into an area that I hadn't really heard him talk about. For instance, when he brought up the song "You," I was able to dive into some of my own quick thoughts about it, that got him to go off on songs about 'love gone wrong' which was a fun aside.
    I know exactly what you mean. With guys like this, I have heard so many interviews over the years and heard the same old ground covered numerous times so I always try and fit in some oddball questions (not stupid ones, mind you, just things I don't think have been asked before - like asking Martin Barre about his Robin Hood suit which got a huge laugh) - and perhaps my favourite thing about interviewing is getting to ask about things I've always wanted to hear about, but that never get asked. Like Seven Stones or Time Table, for example, two songs I'd be asking Tony about for sure (I did ask Steve about Seven Stones.) Or the song Say You'll Never Leave Me from The Fugitive - a song I've never heard him mention, and was not part of the A Chord Too Far boxed set, so I'm wondering how he views that song now (I've always liked it.)

The newest episode of the podcast is out, where we cover From Genesis to Revelation! Available at I-Tunes, and directly on our site at: http://tabletopgenesis.com/tabletop-...to-revelation/

Enjoy!
    Mike

thanks for finally doing a podcast on the 1 Genesis album I own but sadly, never had listened to.

I now feel I don't think I've been missing much.

I do appreciate Stacey's comments about THE MONKEES and my wife rolled-her-eyes (she is a Monkees/Nesmith Superfan, but only cares for the Duke-We Can't Dance Genesis)

thanks for finally doing a podcast on the 1 Genesis album I own but sadly, never had listened to.

I now feel I don't think I've been missing much.

I do appreciate Stacey's comments about THE MONKEES and my wife rolled-her-eyes (she is a Monkees/Nesmith Superfan, but only cares for the Duke-We Can't Dance Genesis)
    It is worth at least a listen, mainly as a historical curio, because there are glimmers and hints of the band they would become in the songs...

Thanks for listening!
    Mike

Thank you for this great podcast. Not my favorite album, but a couple of songs sounded better than I remember.
    I've been listening to music since the 50's and I don't think I can recall one record as drenched in reverb as this album was.
    Thanks again.
    Any hints what your next exciting podcast adventure will be?

Thank you for this great podcast. Not my favorite album, but a couple of songs sounded better than I remember.
    I've been listening to music since the 50's and I don't think I can recall one record as drenched in reverb as this album was.
    Thanks again.
    Any hints what your next exciting podcast adventure will be?
    We've got three episodes recorded, and once they're edited, they'll be ready to go. I *think* our next episode will be our interview with Richard Macphail, but not 100% sure about that.

Our next recording, we'll be tackling The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and probably making a 2 parter out of it...

Mike

been waiting on The Lamb...nice!

Mike one question for you and the Tabletop;

There is a Foundation that used to run PSA/Spots on Television, largely in the 1980's called "Make a Wish" if you may know.

Ever since hearing "Horizons" I was convinced the Make a Wish Spots with the THEME song was more or less identical to "Horizons"

I spent maybe more time than I should looking for a clip of 1 of those Make a Wish spots on YouTube and other spots online, but I have never found it.

And then do a comparisons just to point out my suspicion online.

The Make A Wish spot had a woman singing "Young Child....." at the beginning, but the acoustic guitar part sounds like Horizons to me. Maybe you or other Genesis fans recall and have come to this same conclusion?

I might try bringing this up on 1 of the Facebook groups too I suppose.

been waiting on The Lamb...nice!

Mike one question for you and the Tabletop;

There is a Foundation that used to run PSA/Spots on Television, largely in the 1980's called "Make a Wish" if you may know.

Ever since hearing "Horizons" I was convinced the Make a Wish Spots with the THEME song was more or less identical to "Horizons"

I spent maybe more time than I should looking for a clip of 1 of those Make a Wish spots on YouTube and other spots online, but I have never found it.

And then do a comparisons just to point out my suspicion online.

The Make A Wish spot had a woman singing "Young Child....." at the beginning, but the acoustic guitar part sounds like Horizons to me. Maybe you or other Genesis fans recall and have come to this same conclusion?

I might try bringing this up on 1 of the Facebook groups too I suppose.
    I do know of the Make a Wish foundation, but honestly have no recollection of their commercials, or of them using Horizons, which if I had seen it, and they had used the track, would have jumped out at me...

So, I can't say no, but I can't say yes either.

I will say, that hearing more Bach pieces played on guitar, it's obvious that Steve listened to a lot of Bach too, while writing Horizons!

See if anyone else out there knows anything, but I have to say, sorry I can't help more...

Mike

We're recording our episode/episodes for THE LAMB next weekend... If you want to vote in our poll for your favorite track, head on over to tabletopgenesis.com.

We still have a number of episodes in the bag, it's just that Simon's been busy with music and life stuff, so hasn't been able to get around to finishing off the production on the episodes. Next episode out will be our interview with Richard MacPhail (very fun!), and if I remember correctly, we have episodes for "So" and "Genesis Live" recorded...

Much happening soon on the TG front!

Thanks for listening.

Mike

Hi all!

Quick update! We actually weren't able to record this past weekend, as Tabletopper Tom was ill. We'll figure out a date for February for our LAMB recording.

But, tomorrow morning (Eastern US time), our interview with Richard MacPhail should be going live! He's a really good guy to talk with, and it should make for an entertaining episode.

Enjoy!
    Mike

Hi all!

So, we're FINALLY going to sit down this weekend and record our LAMB episode. It's been tough to schedule a time when we can get together to do this.

Also, we'll be at the Musical Box show at the Keswick on Saturday, if anyone is attending. If you see us, feel free to say hi!

Our SO episode (that's Gabriel's SO, not Seconds Out) is nearing completion, and should be out soonish...

More to come!
    Mike