Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tom Verlaine

RIP Tom Verlaine

I am sure we all appreciate his work in Television...

Oh not another one, this has been a terrible year so far. I’ve been playing the first two albums a lot recently, and I’ve never tired of Marquee Moon, they created some mesmerising music that will stand the test of time. RIP.

Oh…my!

Thanks for the sad news.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, darn it...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Sad news. I saw Television several years ago and they were really great. RIP Tom.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-29-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

very sad.

Marquee Moon is a classic.

That’s sad news - saw them back in the day - opening act was Blondie who were practically booed off the stage. Television were amazing.

6E27AF41-20C9-43CE-844C-E10C51F7F4B2.jpg

Oh shit.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Oh shit.
    I bought the very awesome red vinyl 12" single Foxhole when it was released in 78. All on the experience of seeing the video on the Old Grey W. T.

Loved the Guitar playing and sound.
    RIP Tom.I will be listening later today

RIP to a trail-blazing pioneer. I'll be playing Marquee Moon a few times this weekend.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great guitar player, and great innovator - his albums sound completely contemporary even in our days. Everybody appreciates Marquee Moon, but I believe Adventure is also a very cool record, with it's more American flavor. On the other hand, I am not in the least familiar with anything he did outside Television. I had the feeling that the well dried quickly there, but maybe only due to my own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Great guitar player, and great innovator - his albums sound completely contemporary even in our days. Everybody appreciates Marquee Moon, but I believe Adventure is also a very cool record, with it's more American flavor. On the other hand, I am not in the least familiar with anything he did outside Television. I had the feeling that the well dried quickly there, but maybe only due to my own ignorance.
    Praise here for Adventure and Television's third album, which I hadn't heard until listening to it on Spotify today.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-punk-guessing
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

On the other hand, I am not in the least familiar with anything he did outside Television. I had the feeling that the well dried quickly there, but maybe only due to my own ignorance.
    I never owned anything, but I saw him several times with his band in the early mid 80s, and they were excellent.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I never gave Television a chance bitd, because they were one of the darlings of music critics whom I despised due to their disdain for Prog-Rock. In retrospect, I wish I had given them a chance, or at least attended a concert. However, I don't recall having an opportunity to see them. If they came to my area, I didn't know about it.

Amazing songwriter and a guitarist with a unique sound. Both Television albums and his "Dreamtime" solo are classics.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

On the other hand, I am not in the least familiar with anything he did outside Television. I had the feeling that the well dried quickly there, but maybe only due to my own ignorance.
    Dreamtime is as good as Marquee Moon. Amazing record. And with one of the best productions I ever heard on a new wave album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RIP, of course

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I never gave Television a chance bitd, because they were one of the darlings of music critics whom I despised due to their disdain for Prog-Rock. In retrospect, I wish I had given them a chance, or at least attended a concert. However, I don't recall having an opportunity to see them. If they came to my area, I didn't know about it.

I hate it when you agree with me (in this case 95%)... I feel like I went wrong somewhere down the line

Actually I have given Marquee Moon a chance a few times throughout different decades (starting in 77/8 until some 4 years ago), but it never clicked with me, but if they had come around my area, I'd have gone to see Verlaine & co.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I hate it when you agree with me (in this case 95%)... I feel like I went wrong somewhere down the line

You needn't worry. The Powerball has better odds.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Dreamtime is as good as Marquee Moon. Amazing record. And with one of the best productions I ever heard on a new wave album.
    thanks for the tip, will check it out

I bought TV's first album and never could get into it until recently. I think the vocals were a turn off to me reminding me a bit of Talking Heads. I'm curious about some of their other output now. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I bought TV's first album and never could get into it until recently. I think the vocals were a turn off to me reminding me a bit of Talking Heads. I'm curious about some of their other output now. RIP
    Television were absolutely a Talking Heads-adjacent band, but so much more interesting instrumentally! IMHO Television and Discipline-era KC were the two bands that took that particular "new wave" sound and made the most substantively enduring music with it.

I think all three TV albums are worthy of extensive listening. I need to check out Verlaine solo. A friend's band used to cover some of his solo material and I remember liking it a lot.

RIP.

Patti Smith’s tribute to her friend:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...s-tom-verlaine
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

No, not another one! Death just doesn't stop.

Love Marquee Moon.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Great guitarist, singer and lyricist.

Always loved Moon, and it was great to see the 'visions at Roskilde sometime in the early 90s when their entire encore consisted of old garage-psych classics by The Standells, Chocolate Watchband etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Patti Smith’s tribute to her friend:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...s-tom-verlaine
    Unfortunately I can't read that without subscribing. Oh well.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)