Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magma _ Inedits

Magma _ Inedits

Sorry, no accent from this type of keyboard...

I am listening to this for the first time and I am loving it. The sound is not that clear, but I don't mind at all. Excellent compositions and playing, as expected. Janik is a monster on the bass.

What is the source of these songs? I understand that they are not to be found in any studio recording. Were they regularly played live? Except from Live/Hhai I am not very familiar with Magma's live output.

So, how do you rate this? Magma never cease to amaze me.

You can get the same crazy Janik playing on the legit and excellent sounding Radio Bremen show, released as: "Zühn Wöhl Ünsai : February 6, 1974, Sendesaal, Bremen, Germany"

I rate Inedits as a very failed opportunity. Bad sound. Much better archival stuff has since been made available from all the same periods.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Sorry, no accent from this type of keyboard...

I am listening to this for the first time and I am loving it. The sound is not that clear, but I don't mind at all. Excellent compositions and playing, as expected. Janik is a monster on the bass.

What is the source of these songs? I understand that they are not to be found in any studio recording. Were they regularly played live? Except from Live/Hhai I am not very familiar with Magma's live output.

So, how do you rate this? Magma never cease to amaze me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

AFAIK, they are mostly soundboard live recordings or rehearsals practically taped on cassette. For completists, I'd say - although for a long time it was the only place where you'd get to hear "Sowïloï" and that umpalumpart of "K.A.".

And bad sound notwithstanding, they still cook like no captain!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The tracks Sowiloi/kmx, Om zanka and Gamma anteria are absolutely fantastic! Mediocre sound or not, it doesnt matter.

Sendt fra min BLA-L29 med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And bad sound notwithstanding, they still cook like no captain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Mediocre sound or not, it doesnt matter.
    Apparently for these two - who I often agree with about many things - mileage varies as well!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Sound quality ain't great. I am a completist, for sure. But I do not often play this one, as better versions exist. But KMX-B12, that is never bad.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Yeah, the sound quality is a bit rough, but I happen to like it.

I remember back in the late 90's, on AOL, I guess it must have been on the general purpose "Progressive Rock" board, there was a guy who put forth the theory that most of the tracks were excerpted from various live performances of MDK, because of the way some of them began and ended with fades. I think his theory was that they'd rotate through different things in place of the big jam that we know from side four of Live/Hhai. Or something like that, I'm talking about stuff that I read like 20 years ago, but I think that was the general gist of what this guy was suggesting.

But yeah, I suppose in a way, it's more for "completists", but I find the performances of the bits that we now know as KA III being played all the way back then. Yeah, I know the story about KA, about how it dates back to 73-74. But I think it's interesting that a piece that they ended up being abandoned was played, at least in piece meal fashion, at the time.

And of course, as we learned when the BBC recording of Kohntarkosz surfaced (which I actually had on cassette for a few years before the official release), some of those stuff was also in the rough draft arrangement of that piece, so it seems like Zebehn Strain De Geustaah was playing around with a lot of those bits and trying them out in different combinations to see which ones "worked" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Zebehn Strain De Geustaah
    his pals call him Zebby!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    his pals call him Zebby!
    I've told you the story about sneaking intot he soundcheck at the House Of Blues show in LA in 1999 (holy frejoles, that was 20 years and one month ago!), haven't I? After the band soundchecked, Stella came out and into the audience area, and I asked her to sign the records I brought, and I talked to her a bit. Then Christian comes out, and I say here, "Here comes Zebehn Strain De Geustaah!", and Stella turns around corrects my Kobaian pronunciation!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Stella turns around corrects my Kobaian pronunciation!

If you told it, I had forgotten.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

BBC recording of Kohntarkosz surfaced (which I actually had on cassette for a few years before the official release)
    I also have this recording, also on cassette. And BTW, you can find the HOB show on youtube, easily enough. Some of it has disappeared over time, but still.

For those interested, just FYI, the Tour De France has one ride this year end in Colmar..... maybe the lost recording will surface as a result....

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post

For those interested, just FYI, the Tour De France has one ride this year end in Colmar..... maybe the lost recording will surface as a result....
    There's no way that Colmar can live up to the 40 years of hype. Better it stay hidden so it doesn't disappoint the fans.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Apparently for these two - who I often agree with about many things - mileage varies as well!
    Call me a fanboy

Sowiloy/Kmx: The suspense is insane, the brutal bass is on the edge most of the time, but never loosing it.
    Om Zanka: The suspense, the violin + the drumming in the background
    Gamma Anteria: The most insane oddmeter hooks you will ever hear. Try counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I also have this recording, also on cassette. And BTW, you can find the HOB show on youtube, easily enough. Some of it has disappeared over time, but still.
    Gotverdammter! Now, why didn't I think to search on Youtube?! I mean, sheisse! Thank you for posting that!

I'm thinking about buying Köhnzert Zünd
    Any opinions?

Buy it. Worth having. Play it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm thinking about buying Köhnzert Zünd
    Any opinions?
    I bought that box two weeks ago and since I got it I have wondered why I waited for this long. It is wonderful! Go for it!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

It looks interesting and it's a cheap way to get a lot of Magma.

Great stuff to put an end to a party

If anyone is left, you can start a new party with music nerds.

Damn. When I first saw Magma in 1999, I was in awe of Kohntarkosz, but seeing MDK live was earth shattering. No one could sing that hard and that fast for that long. It was only Antoine, Zab and Stella; Himiko had not yet joined. But holy moly, wow! All 3 times I saw them, they played this, and each time was more intense than the last. I still have 1999 Chicago show on CD- Martyr's in Chicago.

I bought this on German import back in the late 70s. The sound was so bad it was a huge turn off. I probably should go back and check it out one of these days. I think I played it once or twice and haven't touched it since.

I have to go with Zeuhlmate here: the record is great. Yes, the sound is rough, but it also puts you right in the middle of the action - Vander is like throwing bricks in your face from the kit. The guy is on fire, Om Zanka is incredible.

Also some flirting with more avant garde sounds in places - and some very tasty and rare use of the hammond organ in Gamma Anteria.

Did these pieces of music find place in other Magma works? Some of it sounds familiar.

I can't compare with other live recordings but Inedits holds its own for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Did these pieces of music find place in other Magma works? Some of it sounds familiar.
    Om Zanka, Gamma and Gamma Anteria basically became the last section of KA. There's recordings of an early rough draft arrangement of Kohntarkosz that also has Om Zanka in it.

Sowiloï was, I believed, incorporated into Theusz Hamtaahk.

^ ok, thanks! I still haven't traced the Theusz Hamtaahk part, anyone else to confirm this?

Another Magma binge just started in the premises.

I haven't recognized Sowiloï or kmx in any other pieces...

if someone has, please: which recording and wher/when.