Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creepy soundtracks

Creepy soundtracks

Got a favorite creepy, spooky, dark soundtrack? Maybe something appropriate for the upcoming 31 October holiday? I know there are more than a few by maestro Morricone that would fit the bill here. Maybe even something from the 20's or 30's?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Ah, so many possibilities. I'm going to have to think a bit on this one. I have lots of stuff that would work well as a creepy-ass soundtrack but isn't (for example, some of Lustmord's finest work).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Maybe obvious, but Krzysztof Komeda's soundtracks come to mind ("Fearless Vampire Killers" and "Rosemary's Baby").

The Berberian Sound Studio OST by Broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Maybe obvious, but Krzysztof Komeda's soundtracks come to mind ("Fearless Vampire Killers" and "Rosemary's Baby").
    Thanks guys. Nothing obvious - I'm hoping to hear a few new ones (for me) that I haven't yet come across.

Question: What is the story behind the AZ Nosferatu soundtrack? What happened to the original 1922 music?

The go-to Halloween music for me is Wendy Carlos’s “Clockwork Black.” Extremely creepy!

[Edit: it’s actually called “Tales of Heaven and Hell Featuring Clockwork Black.” Oops.]

[Edit 2: Nosferatu 1922 was a silent movie, wasn’t it? Didn’t Popol Vuh do a soundtrack for it too?]
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Zappa's The Return of The Son of Monster Magnet on Freak Out is pretty freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Question: What is the story behind the AZ Nosferatu soundtrack? What happened to the original 1922 music?
    The story has traditionally been that much of the original score was lost which partially explains why there have been so many various soundtracks recorded for the flim over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Mrs. Bram Stoker considered the original Nosferatu to be an unlicensed plagiarism of her late husband’s work, and sued the producers of the film. She collected and destroyed as many copies of the film as she could find. Fortunately, a copy was found in the 1960s, long after it was presumed lost forever. Apparently, the original music that was supposed to accompany the film has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    [Edit 2: Nosferatu 1922 was a silent movie, wasn’t it? Didn’t Popol Vuh do a soundtrack for it too?]
    That was the 1979 re-make starring Klaus Kinski. Werner Herzog was responsible for that one, he and Florian Fricke had something of a working relationship in the 70s and 80s, with many of Herzog’s films sporting Popol Vuh soundtracks (Aguirre: the Wrath of God, Heart of Glass and Fitzcarraldo as well). Fricke even turned up on screen (playing the piano, naturally) in Herzog’s Kaspar Hauser film.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If creepy-sounding Zappa music (not a soundtrack) is OK then Dio Fa is what you're looking for.

I'm a big fan of the synth/noise soundtrack stuff. A few quick ones:

Ben Frost - Super Dark Times
    Various Artists - The Void
    Tobe Hooper - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original one)
    Alan Splet - Eraserhead

Another nod to the Popul Vuh score for Herzog's Nosferatu as well as Broadcast's work on Berberian Sound Studio

In terms of alternate soundtracks (i.e. ones for silent films, etc.), two that spring to mind are Faust's wonderful, clangy take on Nosferatu, and the chilling dronework that KTL did for The Phantom Carriage (included on the Criterion Collection edition). It was never released, but a few years ago at Big Ears I saw Demdike Stare do a live soundtrack for Haxan: Witchcraft Throughout the Ages that worked very well.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Oddly enough, this is one I've used numerous times to scare the kiddies:

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have a Spotify playlist with suspense & Thriller soundtracls from b & cult movies. Here is the link:

https://open.spotify.com/user/jazzwh...1SkPPgI6WlVOEj

How about the John Carpenter's soundtrack albums. There are two volumes now.

Pyscho soundtrack is damn good - listened to it soup-to-nuts today......Good olde Herrmann.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzwhatever View Post
    I have a Spotify playlist with suspense & Thriller soundtracls from b & cult movies. Here is the link:

https://open.spotify.com/user/jazzwh...1SkPPgI6WlVOEj
    Excellent, cheers.

Nash The Slash has been my go to Halloween soundtrack for decades. RIP Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    The story has traditionally been that much of the original score was lost which partially explains why there have been so many various soundtracks recorded for the flim over the years.
    Last edited by Obscured; 10-10-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Here is one of my favorite covers by the 1980's band The Fibonaccis. Bernard Herrmann's theme from Psycho. The mellotron is to die for!

Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.