Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Beatles Fab Faves!

22 Beatles Fab Faves!

http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/22beatles2020.html

Another fun list to peruse & provoke!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

All good songs. Not all great, but good. Love of all those early songs from 63-65.

Banned
    Another fun and interesting list to peruse. Of those listed here, "Here, There & Everywhere", "I'll Follow The Sun" and "Only Sleeping" register with me. However, here are ten of the Fab Four songs that rise to the top of their catalogue from my perspective:

"Fool On The Hill"
    "Here Comes The Sun"
    "Something"
    "My Guitar Gently Weeps"
    "The Long And Winding Road"
    "Fixing A Hole"
    "Let It Be"
    "A Day In The Life"
    "Here, There And Everywhere"
    "Blackbird"

No list that doesn't include "Tomorrow Never Knows" is worthy of my respect. Best thing Maclen ever wrote.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    No list that doesn't include "Tomorrow Never Knows" is worthy of my respect. Best thing Maclen ever wrote.
    Probably more like LenMac;

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles, written primarily by John Lennon and credited to Lennon–McCartney... Wiki

He wrote it in 1966 after reading a book on "The Psychedelic Experience".

It's all a matter of perspective, but I respect your opinion on that song and it's importance in your (and many others) view.

Never been a big fan of "Girl", but otherwise I love or like everything on the list!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Do keep in mind that as far as the Beatles go with me, most of the list could change every 10 minutes! Those were my choices as I put keystroke to notepad!

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Probably more like LenMac;

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles, written primarily by John Lennon and credited to Lennon–McCartney... Wiki

He wrote it in 1966 after reading a book on "The Psychedelic Experience".

It's all a matter of perspective, but I respect your opinion on that song and it's importance in your (and many others) view.
    Indeed. In fact, Timothy Leary should get more writing credit than McCartney.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Indeed. In fact, Timothy Leary should get more writing credit than McCartney.
    Ain't that the truth:

“Leary was the one going round saying, ‘take it, take it, take it,’” Lennon remembered in 1980, “and we followed his instructions in his ‘how to take a trip’ book. I did it just like he said in the book, and then I wrote ‘Tomorrow Never Knows,’ which was almost the first acid song: ‘Lay down all thought, surrender to the void,’ and all that sh*t which Leary had pinched from ‘The Book Of The Dead.’”

Ain't that the truth:

“Leary was the one going round saying, ‘take it, take it, take it,’” Lennon remembered in 1980, “and we followed his instructions in his ‘how to take a trip’ book. I did it just like he said in the book, and then I wrote ‘Tomorrow Never Knows,’ which was almost the first acid song: ‘Lay down all thought, surrender to the void,’ and all that sh*t which Leary had pinched from ‘The Book Of The Dead.’”
    Then I guess I'd say credit the book of the dead.

With the recent death of Beatles photographer Astrid Kirchherr, I've drifted back to my youth and my undying love for The Beatles, a love that instantly started when I viewed them on the American TV show, The Ed Sullivan Show, in February 1964. I was only 9 years old, and they changed my life, and a zillion more, forever. Here are my personal "Fab" favorites. Sorry, many more than 22:

PLEASE PLEASE ME
    ALL MY LOVING
    A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
    AND I LOVE HER
    ANY TIME AT ALL
    THINGS WE SAID TODAY
    EIGHT DAYS A WEEK
    WHAT YOU'RE DOING
    HELP!
    THE NIGHT BEFORE
    YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY
    I NEED YOU
    YOU'RE GOING LOSE THAT GIRL
    TICKET TO RIDE
    IT'S ONLY LOVE
    YESTERDAY
    NORWEGIAN WOOD
    MICHELLE
    IN MY LIFE
    IF I NEEDED SOMEONE
    PAPERBACK WRITER
    TAXMAN
    I'M ONLY SLEEPING
    SHE SAID SHE SAID
    DOCTOR ROBERT
    I WANT TO TELL YOU
    TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS
    STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
    THE ENTIRE SGT. PEPPER'S ALBUM
    I AM THE WALRUS
    DEAR PRUDENCE
    JULIA
    CRY BABY CRY
    ONLY A NORTHERN SONG
    HEY BULLDOG
    SOMETHING
    HERE COMES THE SUN
    ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
    GET BACK
    TWO OF US
    LET IT BE

There are so many more, but these are essentials. Every lyric of these songs will stay with me until the end.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I saw them on Ed Sullivan too. I was 6 years old. It changed our lives. Then we saw A Hard Days Night. We screamed until our heads exploded. Unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I saw them on Ed Sullivan too. I was 6 years old. It changed our lives. Then we saw A Hard Days Night. We screamed until our heads exploded. Unforgettable.
    Yes witnessing real Beatlemania was surreal. I'll never forget being a little kid viewing both A Hard Day's Night and Help! in my local town theater. It was like the fab four were playing live. But the girls were all going mucho loco just watching those films. Of course I was still in pre-puberty. But I wonder now how many of those young teen girls actually wet their seats, and I don't mean peeing?!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Never been a big fan of "Girl"
    One of my all-time favorites. Even when I was a kid, hearing that song on the Beatles cartoon show, those lyrics hit me like a ton of bricks.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    One of my all-time favorites. Even when I was a kid, hearing that song on the Beatles cartoon show, those lyrics hit me like a ton of bricks.
    "She's the kind of girl you want so much, it makes you sorry. Still you don't regret a single day."

That is one great lyric.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I remember "Tomorrow Never Knows" being played on the Beatles' cartoon show. Rather hilarious that my mom let me as a 7 year old listen to such subversive stuff. It starts at 3:24....

https://vimeo.com/370892618
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I too saw them on Ed Sim -- uh, Sullivan. That show was a family ritual with us, and my grandparents were there that night. As I recall my grandma and I were the only people who really got it that night.

I really didn't mean for TNK to hijack the thread...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I too saw them on Ed Sim -- uh, Sullivan. That show was a family ritual with us, and my grandparents were there that night. As I recall my grandma and I were the only people who really got it that night.

I really didn't mean for TNK to hijack the thread...
    It didn't "hijack" the thread, at least I don't see it that way. You are adamant that "Tomorrow Never Knows" is one of the best songs that the Beatles ever recorded and that admiration is shared by critics across the board. I just thought that it was interesting how John wrote the song, etc. It was a real stand out on the "Revolver" album, ending the whole affair in a mind expanding manner, following the sunny faced "Got To Get You Into My Life" ditty from Paul.

1964 will always be a year to remember for me, having seen them on Ed Sullivan during the winter and then being able to see them live, as my first rock concert in September.

ending the whole affair in a mind expanding manner, following the sunny faced "Got To Get You Into My Life" ditty from Paul.
    Well, Paul has always claimed that that was a drug song, though I'm not at all sure I believe him.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Well, Paul has always claimed that that was a drug song, though I'm not at all sure I believe him.
    It was his attempt at Motown.

I don't recall him every stating that it was anything else. I could certainly be mistaken here. Although the lyrics certainly can be taken that way. Or, at least, it could have been inspired by addiction in general.

^^^I'm not sure about this song, but even after the other Beatles stopped drugging, Paul continued smoking the green leaf. Do you remember when he got busted and tossed in jail in Japan, many years after the Beatles broke up? Does anyone know if he's still hitting the bong? And HEY WILCOX660! Why don't you start a new thread that alludes to drug use in songs? Of course the Beatles had many. Here's some I can remember:
    HELP!
    TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE
    I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU
    I'M ONLY SLEEPING
    SHE SAID SHE SAID
    DOCTOR ROBERT
    TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS
    STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
    LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS
    WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU
    A DAY IN THE LIFE
    MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
    BLUE JAY WAY
    HELTER SKELTER
    YELLOW SUBMARINE
    IT'S ALL TOO MUCH
    GET BACK

Did I miss any?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post

Did I miss any?
    Probably the most blatant example: "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Probably the most blatant example: "Happiness is a Warm Gun."
    Yeah you are correct. Another I forgot was Day Tripper. "...One-way ticket yeah" Once you swallowed, it was a one way ticket.

Banned
    I'm Looking Through You

McCartney wrote the song about English actress Jane Asher, his girlfriend for much of the 1960s,[2] and her refusal to give up her stage career and focus on his needs.[3] The line "You don't look different, but you have changed" reflects his dissatisfaction with their relationship. The lyrics also refer to his changing emotional state: "Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight".

Let's face it, just about any song from the 60's could be construed as a "drug use song". In this case, even if one of Pauls' needs was drug related it doesn't qualify the song as a drug use song.

Dave Crosby summed this whole drug song thing up nicely when he answered the question about "Eight Miles High": "Of course it was a drug song! We were stoned when we wrote it."

I'm Looking Through You

McCartney wrote the song about English actress Jane Asher, his girlfriend for much of the 1960s,[2] and her refusal to give up her stage career and focus on his needs.[3] The line "You don't look different, but you have changed" reflects his dissatisfaction with their relationship. The lyrics also refer to his changing emotional state: "Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight".

Let's face it, just about any song from the 60's could be construed as a "drug use song". In this case, even if one of Pauls' needs was drug related it doesn't qualify the song as a drug use song.

Dave Crosby summed this whole drug song thing up nicely when he answered the question about "Eight Miles High": "Of course it was a drug song! We were stoned when we wrote it."
    I agree. Most of the list above being considered drug songs is a bit of a stretch. Okay, more than a bit.