Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone-Neil Peart; Rush Drummer's Bold Life & Brave Final Years

Rolling Stone-Neil Peart; Rush Drummer's Bold Life & Brave Final Years

Rush’s virtuoso drum hero lived by his own rules, to the very end. For the first time since Peart’s passing, his bandmates and widow discuss his legacy and his final years.

Neil Peart made it only 10 months into his hard-won retirement before he started to feel like something was wrong. Words were, for once, the problem. Peart, one-third of the Toronto band Rush, was one of the world’s most worshipped drummers, unleashing his unearthly skills upon rotating drum kits that grew to encompass what seemed like every percussive possibility within human invention. Before band rehearsals for Rush tours, he’d practice on his own for weeks to ensure he could replicate his parts. His forearms bulged with muscle; his huge hands were calloused. But he was also the self-educated intellect behind Rush’s singularly cerebral and philosophical lyrics, and the author of numerous books, specializing in memoir intertwined with motorcycle travelogues, all of it rendered in luminous detail.

Peart took constant notes, kept journals, sent emails that were more like Victorian-era correspondence, wrote pieces for drum magazines, and posted essays and book reviews on his website. Despite ending his formal education at age 17, he never stopped working toward a lifelong goal of reading “every great book ever written.” He tended to use friends’ birthdays as an excuse to send “a whole fucking story about his own life,” as Rush singer-bassist Geddy Lee puts it, with a laugh.

Read More Here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...story-1110496/

Thanks for posting that, lost for words.

Paywall. No thanks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Paywall. No thanks.
    I was able to read the whole thing without paying..

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

The eons are closing
    Thnx for the link.
    Was my lunchtime read.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I was able to read the whole thing without paying..

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
    Myself as well

Ahh man, what a beautiful article. Bon voyage maestro....

No paywall for me either. But yeah, a great and beautiful article.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Emotional read and surprisingly in-depth, considering the source. A pleasant surprise, if a somber reminder...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Jon Neudorf
    Near speechless. This one still hits hard.

I've been putting off listening to the final RUSH album for the longest time... maybe it's time to finally get a copy of Clockwork Angels.

I never did get the DVD/CD off the last tour. I didn't think I could handle the vocals on the older tunes. But now I'm in a sentimental mood and reconsidering it. But while doing that, I took the set list off that tour and made a playlist on my PC, sometimes using studio tracks and sometimes using live ones. I added a couple tunes, especially at the end where I attached a live Strangiato and ended with The Garden.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    I've been putting off listening to the final RUSH album for the longest time... maybe it's time to finally get a copy of Clockwork Angels.
    You should. It has three of the finest tunes they did in the second half of their career IMO: the title track, Headlong Flight, and The Garden.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You should. It has three of the finest tunes they did in the second half of their career IMO: the title track, Headlong Flight, and The Garden.
    Agreed.

I guess I need to clear my cookies to read it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Agreed.
    Ditto. Best album they made (as a complete statement) since Signals. IMHO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This is a long awaited message from the boys. I still mourn over Neils death. Such brilliant lyrics... Such a loss, tragic that he had such a short retirement. Its weird how retirement seems to bring these things on. Once you've served your time in the grindmill. You finally have the time you want and it is snatched away. I guess I'm glad I dont have a great retirement waiting for me. I'll likely die in my chair staring at a screen trying to figure out a failure of some obscure process...

I have a friend who retired, and promptly (3 months) had a heart attack and now is severely hindered in what he can do. My dad was retired for almost 30 years. So it's not for a problem for everyone.

I wonder if we'll ever hear Olivia playing one of Neils songs... That would be delightful...

So sad! This was the beginning of the Year of Sh*t. I will never forget how devastated I was when I first heard the news of his passing. Of all the bands I have loved over the years not one has come close to the connection I had when I first heard Rush. Can't explain it but it was this feeling of needing MORE, like a drug, food, sex, whatever. The first time I saw them live in '76 just cemented that feeling. Now all these years later it is depressing tho think that it will never be again. I am greatly thankful that I got to see them as many times as I did, on every tour since that first one. As an added bonus I even got to meet Ged & Al in an informal setting & hang out for a while (never talked about Rush or music, just baseball, wine & what I was doing).
    Thank you for posting this article.
    RIP Pratt!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    So sad! This was the beginning of the Year of Sh*t. I will never forget how devastated I was when I first heard the news of his passing. Of all the bands I have loved over the years not one has come close to the connection I had when I first heard Rush. Can't explain it but it was this feeling of needing MORE, like a drug, food, sex, whatever. The first time I saw them live in '76 just cemented that feeling. Now all these years later it is depressing tho think that it will never be again. I am greatly thankful that I got to see them as many times as I did, on every tour since that first one. As an added bonus I even got to meet Ged & Al in an informal setting & hang out for a while (never talked about Rush or music, just baseball, wine & what I was doing).
    Thank you for posting this article.
    RIP Pratt!
    2112 Tour, right? That was my first one in Ottawa, Canada (near the band's hometown). I definitely miss Neil, such a tragedy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    2112 Tour, right? That was my first one in Ottawa, Canada (near the band's hometown).

That's correct. They weren't even headliners in my neck of the woods.
    Let me ask you this: My foggy memory recalls that they played the entire version of Bytor (like on ATWAS), did Alex use a cello bow during the middle guitar solo? I could have sworn he did. I remember turning to my stoner friends & saying, "Jimmy PAGE!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    That's correct. They weren't even headliners in my neck of the woods.
    Let me ask you this: My foggy memory recalls that they played the entire version of Bytor (like on ATWAS), did Alex use a cello bow during the middle guitar solo? I could have sworn he did. I remember turning to my stoner friends & saying, "Jimmy PAGE!"

I was just 14 years old and hanging out with my stoner high school friends. We were making fun of the radio personality who introduced the show. It's sad to say but the show was, um, foggy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I saw them open on that tour for BOC in a little hockey arena in Minot, North Dakota. It was a thermonuclear event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw them open on that tour for BOC in a little hockey arena in Minot, North Dakota. It was a thermonuclear event.
    Wore ice skates and ended up wishing they were hip waders?

Article was very tasteful.