Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yes have played covers and interpreted them in their own way since the beginning. Nothing new here, really... America is practically an original since the only thing that really is lifted from the original is the lyrics. But is still a cover. Yes...
    I remember when I saw them on the 2nd leg of the “90125” tour they did “Gimme Some Loving” as one of their encores. It sort of worked, but I thought it was odd at the time. I probably would have rather heard another Yes original.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Do you really need that answered? I assume you know that song's history with the band - it is hardly like playing Imagine, or something like Gimme Some Loving from the past.....But, while it is technically accurate to call America a cover, it is also ridiculous given its history...
    What is ridiculous is for a cover to suddenly not be a cover simply because it is a staple. I did mention at Yesfans that "Imagine" is somewhat different because the other two covers had been on an album and a live album and part of Yes' history for a long time. Both song covers are so different from the originals that they are half Yes originals whereas "Imagine" is not.

However, "Imagine" was a third song that doesn't showcase Yes' original song writing of which they have a lot of material.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    What is ridiculous is for a cover to suddenly not be a cover simply because it is a staple. I did mention at Yesfans that "Imagine" is somewhat different because the other two covers had been on an album and a live album and part of Yes' history for a long time. Both song covers are so different from the originals that they are half Yes originals whereas "Imagine" is not.

However, "Imagine" was a third song that doesn't showcase Yes' original song writing of which they have a lot of material.
    Part of me is suspecting that "Imagine" is a tribute to Alan because this will be his last tour.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

You guys are like the Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey of PE.
    Laura

Do you really need that answered? I assume you know that song's history with the band - it is hardly like playing Imagine, or something like Gimme Some Loving from the past. If you want to throw No Opportunity in the mix, I guess I can see that as it hasn't been a staple (though jamesmanzi is right - who would associate that with Yes?). But, while it is technically accurate to call America a cover, it is also ridiculous given its history and the fact that it is very much a Yes staple (and nobody is going to mix up their version with the original).

When someone complains of a band playing covers, that doesn't usually include something that is as much a part of their catalog as America. Kinda playing lawyer-ball using that term for it.
    I completely understand your point and it was what l figured it would be, l was only stating a diffefent point of view, and as you even said, technically it is accurate that it is a cover, so l think the rest is just a matter of opinion or point of view. I go back far enough to remember the original America and No Opportunity before the Yes versions so l always did and always will see them as covers, and excellent covers at that!

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    I completely understand your point and it was what l figured it would be, l was only stating a diffefent point of view, and as you even said, technically it is accurate that it is a cover, so l think the rest is just a matter of opinion or point of view. I go back far enough to remember the original America and No Opportunity before the Yes versions so l always did and always will see them as covers, and excellent covers at that!
    Cool, but I balk at someone talking about Yes playing covers in a dismissive manner and including those two - particularly America. That song, done the way they do it, is definitely their own (and I grew up on Simon and Garfunkel).

Cool, but I balk at someone talking about Yes playing covers in a dismissive manner and including those two - particularly America. That song, done the way they do it, is definitely their own (and I grew up on Simon and Garfunkel).
    Also: Yes's cover of America is a cover of Clouds' cover of America!

https://youtu.be/LD0pfXypFUI

I always thought it would've been interesting if Yes had done an unplugged version of the song, kind of like a CSN style....just for the heck of it!

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Also: Yes's cover of America is a cover of Clouds' cover of America!

https://youtu.be/LD0pfXypFUI
    Wow, now this changes everything! Actually l forgot about that, wasn't this mentioned here awhile ago? At first I didn't think this was true, how could it have been recorded before the original in 1968? Besides it (the Clouds version) wasn't actually released until 1970 so maybe they did copy it from Yes.... but no, there's an interesting story behind it, Paul Simon wrote it in 1964 and recorded a demo in 1965 and somehow the Clouds got a hold of the demo and recorded their version in 1967
    Last edited by doneg; 06-29-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Well, I finally broke down and purchased tickets for tomorrow night's show in Cary, NC. I used to attend several concerts a year, but I haven't been to one in far too long. I'm very much looking forward to it!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Well, I finally broke down and purchased tickets for tomorrow night's show in Cary, NC. I used to attend several concerts a year, but I haven't been to one in far too long. I'm very much looking forward to it!
    I'm a little late, you're probably at the show already, but l wanted to say you made the right decision, enjoy the show and let us know what you thought. This thread needs some new activity, there was a lot of interest and discussion for the first few shows but that was it, there hasn't been any reviews or discussion of the tour in at least a couple weeks

I'm a little late, you're probably at the show already, but l wanted to say you made the right decision, enjoy the show and let us know what you thought. This thread needs some new activity, there was a lot of interest and discussion for the first few shows but that was it, there hasn't been any reviews or discussion of the tour in at least a couple weeks
    Just got home from the show in Cary.. Great show.. well worth the effort to catch 4+ hours of music..

I enjoyed it! I'm glad I went. I'll give a few thoughts on the performances...

Carl Palmer's set was high energy and very impressive. Carl himself doesn't seem to have lost one iota of energy or skill, and he powered through the songs with ferocity. His musicians are excellent as well, especially the young guitar player. Arthur Brown is an enigma...A very strange guy, but with a kind of captivating stage presence and some very strange costumes. His voice couldn't be farther from Greg Lake's, which took some getting used to, but in an odd sort of way it kind of fits the intensity and drama of the songs he was singing. I briefly spoke with Carl later at the merch table, and he was a polite, friendly, soft spoken gentleman.

Next up was John Lodge. A very pleasant set of mostly Moody Blues tunes, with one nice surprise from the Blue Jays album. They seemed to be having a good time up there, and John still sounds good, although Justin was missed, especially on songs like "Gemini Dream," where the shared vocal was so prominent. But all in all, an enjoyable set that flew by. Jon D from Yes came out and sang the final song with them, which was a nice surprise.

Then came Asia. Although I wasn't sure what to expect without Wetton, they did put on an enjoyable show. I've seen them before with Wetton, and his voice really is the centerpiece of the show. To this day I remember the goose bumps I got when hearing him sing live for the first time. Thal's voice is lower in timbre, but apart from that his delivery isn't that far from Wetton's, and I think he did an admirable job of covering the parts. I told him so later at the merch table, and he seemed genuinely humbled and thankful for the comment.

Yes closed out the show. Although this was my 9th or 10th Yes show, I hadn't seen this lineup yet, but I went in optimistically, and they didn't let me down. This wasn't the Masterworks tour of course, but everyone played well and the band was tight. Alan played on I believe 4 and a half songs, including a couple of longer ones, and he held his own, so I was glad to see that. Jay of course powered through the rest like a machine. Billy's bass was as close to Squire as we are going to get, and his backup vocals were strong. Geoff impressed me several times on the keys...no complaints there. Jon D sang with power and conviction...again, not Jon A but as close as possible without being him. And of course Steve Howe is the same old quirky and unique Steve Howe that was one of the reasons I got into music in the first place...Maybe the energy was diminished a bit, but give the man a break...Considering his age and how many times he's played these songs, I think he's doing just fine. I was going to list some specific high points, but I don't want to spoil the setlist for anyone. Let's just say I teared up once or twice at some of the heartbreakingly beautiful moments that are one of the reasons that Yes is still my all time favorite band.

So all in all, it was a good show. If you're on the fence about going, I'd say expect these bands to be where they are in 2019 and go for it. It sure beat spending an evening at home watching Netflix.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I enjoyed it! I'm glad I went. I'll give a few thoughts on the performances...
    Thanks for the review! Seeing them in 2 1/2 weeks in Saratoga and this has made me excited again.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

What did Lodge sing from "Blue Jays"?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The couple shows l seen he did Saved by the Music so I'd assume he's doing the same set through the whole tour

The couple shows l seen he did Saved by the Music so I'd assume he's doing the same set through the whole tour
    NNNIIICCCEEE!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Setlist:
    01 Steppin' in a Slide Zone
    02 Saved by the Music
    03 Legend of a Mind
    04 Gemini Dream
    05 Isn't Life Strange
    06 I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)
    07 Ride My See-Saw - with Jon Davison (Yes)
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

That's the one!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

YES Present An Alternate Reality of Prog Rock Prowess in Nashville >>> http://www.musiccitynashville.net/fi...-07-13-yes.php

I know that the NOLA concert was cancelled due to Barry. I am going to the Dallas show on Saturday starting at 6:30. Anyone who saw a recent show, could you give me an idea of the segment timings?

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    I know that the NOLA concert was cancelled due to Barry. I am going to the Dallas show on Saturday starting at 6:30. Anyone who saw a recent show, could you give me an idea of the segment timings?
    I was at the show in Sugar Land TX.

CP started at a little after 7:00 and was done by 7:30

Lodge started around 7:35 and was done just after 8:00

Asia started just a couple of minutes later and was done just after 9:00

Yes came out around 9:25 and played until 11:20 isn

I may be off a minute or two here and there.

^ Thanks, bud. Appreciate the info as I will be arriving late to the show. Don't want to miss Asia.

I too was at that Sugar Land, TX show. Some thoughts on the evening:

Carl Palmer is still in excellent shape at 69 years old and was genuinely fun to watch for both the ELP legacy performance and Asia. The man still has drive, energy and just a damn good drummer.

Asia stole the show. I didn’t know what to expect with Bumblefoot singing and playing guitar. A man I am well familiar with from Sons of Apollo. But boy did he put some fire in that band and pulled off an excellent rocking version of Asia. Border-line hard rock on some songs. I know, a contradiction with a few exceptions like Wildest Dreams. For example, the song Go suffers from a horrible 80’s production. But live last night, it was a real rocker. I’ve seen the reunion Asia several times with Wetton and thought at times they were getting a little tired in their performance. Going through the motions but a little sluggish. By contrast, the Bumblefoot Asia, Wow! They were tight and he sang remarkably well. As someone else pointed out on the board, he has a deeper voice but similar enough to Wetton to pull it off. And with a strong voice. They were the only band that evening to get the audience on their feet … during a song. I say this not as slight to Wetton, I loved his voice and many of his songs. I also liked (still like) Asia, even though some their albums were a little weak.

Yes is definitely Steve Howe’s band. It was obvious he was in charge and set the tempo for the night. In general, I was disappointed. As much as Asia was energetic and tight, Yes was very laid back and were half-a-beat behind on many of the songs. I’m an Yes fan with all of the 60’s and 70’s albums as well as the Wilson remixes. And I’ve seen the last two or three tours with Chris Squire as well as the Billy Sherwood CTTE show early this year. While not always perfect they were much tighter than what I saw on Tuesday. Even songs with some dynamics were lacking, like Tempus Fugit and Siberian Khatru. All the notes were there but it was a sluggish performance. I liked Billy Sherwood’s performance but sadly his bass had a lower tone roar that was a distraction for most of the night. They did come alive during parts of The Gates of Delirium as well as the encore.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I was at the show in Sugar Land TX.

CP started at a little after 7:00 and was done by 7:30

Lodge started around 7:35 and was done just after 8:00

Asia started just a couple of minutes later and was done just after 9:00

Yes came out around 9:25 and played until 11:20 isn

I may be off a minute or two here and there.
    What was the official start time on the ticket? The two shows l seen and as far as l know most of the shows had a 630 start time and Carl Palmer came on at exactly the starting time or within a few minutes of the ticketed start time, so for anyone going to any of the shows just a heads up to check your starting time, Also a reminder, there is no more than a couple minutes for a break between CP and John Lodge and the same between John Lodge and Asia. There's a longer break between Asia and Yes