Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush song "Running Up That Hill" hits #1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I was pleased with the inclusion of Running Up That Hill (its a recurring presence) in the Stranger Things soundtrack but boy is season 4 turning out to be tedious. I dig the reworked Journey song though. The show's score is heavily slanted towards electronic music like Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno.
    Yeah I actually got the soundtrack to season 1 a few years back
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I've really enjoyed Season 4, especially ep 7. All of the multiple storylines were engaging, I thought, and anything but tedious.

Looking forward to the two add'l episodes in July.

with David Gilmour and the king of the mullet:

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I don’t really understand how season 4 is tedious. It doesn’t feel like it wastes any time moving the story forward. Oh well.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    the king of the mullet
    The guy from The Firm, I think.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I used to listen to The Secret Policeman’s Third Ball all the time, and love this rendition of RUTH!

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was expecting to see PF saxophonist Scott Page
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    While we're on the subject... why is Kate Bush so highly regarded in prog circles? Is it because she was quirky? I have to admit that she wasn't even on my (admittedly limited) radar until the video Don't Give Up by PG. I had a two-disc compellation in the 90s. I knew so few people in the 80s that had any Kate Bush albums; I heard what I think was her debut (the one with Wuthering Heights) I liked her well enough but never felt I was hearing something unusual or avant-garde. But then again I never knew that Alan Parsons Project was supposed to be prog either. I saw KB music videos from time to time and liked her quirkiness. I hear a lot of Kate Bush in some Lady Gaga.

While we're on the subject... why is Kate Bush so highly regarded in prog circles? Is it because she was quirky? I have to admit that she wasn't even on my (admittedly limited) radar until the video Don't Give Up by PG. I had a two-disc compellation in the 90s. I knew so few people in the 80s that had any Kate Bush albums; I heard what I think was her debut (the one with Wuthering Heights) I liked her well enough but never felt I was hearing something unusual or avant-garde. But then again I never knew that Alan Parsons Project was supposed to be prog either. I saw KB music videos from time to time and liked her quirkiness. I hear a lot of Kate Bush in some Lady Gaga.
    I'd say that overall she's as prog as Gabriel's solo output, so if you consider Gabriel to be prog (and not just quirky), then why not Kate? IMO, anyway. The first KB album I bought was "The Dreaming," and I'd say that album goes pretty far beyond quirky. It was the song "Sat In Your Lap" that first caught my ear, and the reason I even bought a KB album is because I saw Gilmour's name on the back. Remember, "If it says David Gilmour on the tin, it's Prog."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd say that overall she's as prog as Gabriel's solo output, so if you consider Gabriel to be prog (and not just quirky), then why not Kate? IMO, anyway. The first KB album I bought was "The Dreaming," and I'd say that album goes pretty far beyond quirky. It was the song "Sat In Your Lap" that first caught my ear, and the reason I even bought a KB album is because I saw Gilmour's name on the back. Remember, "If it says David Gilmour on the tin, it's Prog."
    The Dreaming was the first Kate Bush album I ever got, and “Sat In Your Lap” is a great tune IMO. “Suspended in Gaffa” is really good too. And “Get Out Of My House” indeed goes beyond “quirky”.

Kate is great.

I never knew Gabriel was prog back in the day. I remember him being referred to as art rock which is what I would have said about 70s Bowie or even Kate Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The Dreaming was the first Kate Bush album I ever got, and “Sat In Your Lap” is a great tune IMO. “Suspended in Gaffa” is really good too. And “Get Out Of My House” indeed goes beyond “quirky”.

Kate is great.
    I goofed - the song that first grabbed me was Suspended in Gaffa, not Sat in Your Lap!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Kate is great.
    Easily my favourite Kate Bush album but I have them all.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I goofed - the song that first grabbed me was Suspended in Gaffa, not Sat in Your Lap!
    Well they’re both great songs!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Easily my favourite Kate Bush album but I have them all.
    It’s probably my fave as well. The Fairlight is all over that one.

I've read elsewhere that other KB tunes are receiving bumps in downloads, especially Wuthering Heights. I hadn't listened that song in years. I remember a show on HBO called video jukebox that showed music videos (we didn't have MTV) and they showed some rather obscure videos from the 70s like I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You (APP) Butterfly Ball (Roger Glover) and Wuthering Heights, among others. I have to admit I was transfixed by that Wuthering Heights video.

I never knew Gabriel was prog back in the day. I remember him being referred to as art rock which is what I would have said about 70s Bowie or even Kate Bush.
    And you would be correct.

I hear a lot of Kate Bush in some Lady Gaga.
    Hmm...I don't listen to a lot of GaGa, but Tori Amos is pretty transparently influenced by Kate. And with a statement that will probably be considered blasphemous around here...Tori is better than Kate, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Tori Amos is pretty transparently influenced by Kate. And with a statement that will probably be considered blasphemous around here...Tori is better than Kate, imo.
    Good call... maybe Bjork too.

I don't know if I think Tori is better than Kate or vice versa. Tori's God (song and video) is straight up Kate Bush. In fact Tori played a cover of KB's Running Up That Hill with God in concert

I've read elsewhere that other KB tunes are receiving bumps in downloads, especially Wuthering Heights.
    Not surprising. Given the youth of today's sense of alienation (do I have to know if you want to referred to as "Mr", "Ms", or "Mx"?), an artist like Kate Bush and her over the top brand of quirky pop is a time capsule waiting to go off with a tremendous BANG!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And you would be correct.

Hmm...I don't listen to a lot of GaGa, but Tori Amos is pretty transparently influenced by Kate. And with a statement that will probably be considered blasphemous around here...Tori is better than Kate, imo.
    I haven’t listened to a lot of Tori, but based on what I’ve heard, KB is a lot proggier, or more Art Rock if you prefer. IMO.

I don't know that I've ever thought of her as prog so much as prog-adjacent, in the sense of being someone who interacted with the prog rockers and shared an audience. The album with Wuthering Heights (The Kick Inside) is more like a very good pop-rock album with some quirky elements. But she's always struck me as being progressive in the small-P sense of the word, in that she was working to find new sounds and production approaches and make music which, at the time, didn't sound like anything anyone had made before. She also worked hard to incorporate lyrical subjects which had never previously appeared in a song with a pop structure (or any song at all, in some cases).

Hounds of Love and The Dreaming get the most attention but the real breakthrough was Never for Ever. She goes from using fairly standard instrumentation and themes on her first two albums (though in very skilled and articulate ways) to employing new technology and production techniques to evoke totally different sonic and imaginative worlds, with lyrics you can't imagine anyone else writing, ever. And unlike a lot of albums from the 80s which were using pioneering production techniques, she has enough craft and variety and organic textures that they don't sound dated. I suppose she was quirky but she was also relentlessly driven as an innovator of sound and texture, and her best albums would sound otherworldly and unique even with a much more conventional singer atop the instrumentals.
    Last edited by EBES; 06-14-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I don't know that I've ever thought of her as prog so much as prog-adjacent, in the sense of being someone who interacted with the prog rockers and shared an audience. The album with Wuthering Heights (The Kick Inside) is more like a very good pop-rock album with some quirky elements. But she's always struck me as being progressive in the small-P sense of the word, in that she was working to find new sounds and production approaches and make music which, at the time, didn't sound like anything anyone had made before. She also worked hard to incorporate lyrical subjects which had never previously appeared in a song with a pop structure (or any song at all, in some cases).

Hounds of Love and The Dreaming get the most attention but the reao breakthrough was Never for Ever. She goes from using fairly standard instrumentation and themes on her first two albums (though in very skilled and articulate ways) to employing new technology and production techniques to evoke totally different sonic and imaginative worlds, with lyrics you can't imagine anyone else writing, ever. And unlike a lot of albums from the 80s which were using pioneering production techniques, she has enough craft and variety and organic textures that they don't sound dated. I suppose she was quirky but she was also relentlessly driven as an innovator of sound and texture, and her best albums would sound otherworldly and unique even with a much more conventional singer atop the instrumentals.
    Good point that it was partly that she hung with a proggy or near-Prog crowd. Roy Harper is another progish person she worked with, and of course people like Ian Bairnson of APP. But I will admit she was not really full-on Prog, and more as you say, “Prog-adjacent.”

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post

Hounds of Love and The Dreaming get the most attention but the reao breakthrough was Never for Ever. She goes from using fairly standard instrumentation and themes on her first two albums (though in very skilled and articulate ways) to employing new technology and production techniques to evoke totally different sonic and imaginative worlds, with lyrics you can't imagine anyone else writing, ever. And unlike a lot of albums from the 80s which were using pioneering production techniques, she has enough craft and variety and organic textures that they don't sound dated. I suppose she was quirky but she was also relentlessly driven as an innovator of sound and texture, and her best albums would sound otherworldly and unique even with a much more conventional singer atop the instrumentals.
    That's very well presented/written.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

There were many prog musicians on Kate's albums: Ian Bairnson, Stuart Elliott, Andrew Powell, Francis Monkman, John Williams, Duncan Mackay, David Paton, David Rhodes, Omar Hakim, Morris Pert, Larry Fast, John Giblin, Max Middleton, Jeff Beck, Eberhard Weber, Peter Erskine, Steve Gadd, Gary Brooker and Dave Gilmour.