Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instrumental songs that you love and can't possibly imagine having vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyMan View Post
    Often when they are only instrumental rock and roll but I like it, I mean cut off just the lyrics on Bicycle Race and you get a helluva 'instrumental' track , even if it sounds like a crime of the century against those 'bohemian rhapsody'-like voices and chorus hahah

Harmony Man,

I think the lyrics on bicycle race makes the track more memorable, "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike... "
    That for me is a great example how lyrics and vocals work with a track, they are an extension of the instrumentals, same rhythm or tune not just some singer singing over the top of it.
    Here you go

Also you gotta love the music video, it's certainly most memorable too!

I tend to follow instrumentals but when vocals are a great extension of the moozik, it can be most memorable, emotionally grabbing too, not necessary the context of it, but for instance, Uriah Heep with The Wizard, I connect with that song, I love that song so much, the lyrics obviously a fantasy but not necessary they still feel real to me, as a metaphor, I love that song. The way a vocalist delivers his vocals strong with great balance to the music. Freddie Mercury did this often.
    Here is the Wizard by Uriah Heep sang by David Byron, one of the only little few vocalists I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post

Also you gotta love the music video, it's certainly most memorable too!
    You'd think these nasty little wenches would've barren it all for this video...

Not that I'm a foot fetishist but none have taken their shoes off

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You'd think these nasty little wenches would've barren it all for this video...

Not that I'm a foot fetishist but none have taken their shoes off

ha! I never noticed this before!

I can imagine Colin Blunstone singing on this...

'There's a Red House over yonder'

Zorro Rides Again - Les Dudek

Anything jazz/fusion.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

An odd premise for a thread, to me. I never imagine instrumental music having vocals.

I guess that for some listeners there is an expectation of vocals as the default, so if there are none there is a sense of something missing. If I was ever that way it must have worn off a long time ago. On the other hand, I can think of quite a lot of pieces with vocals that I'd like better if they didn't.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    An odd premise for a thread, to me. I never imagine instrumental music having vocals.

I guess that for some listeners there is an expectation of vocals as the default, so if there are none there is a sense of something missing. If I was ever that way it must have worn off a long time ago. On the other hand, I can think of quite a lot of pieces with vocals that I'd like better if they didn't.
    Actually, I agree!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Anything jazz/fusion.
    I can't imagine Birdland having vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Having said above that I never do this...I could imagine a version with Theo Bleckmann's wordless vocals being good. But for purposes of this thread I guess wordless vocals / voice as instrument is not what was meant.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Camel - Ice is another instrumental song that I often play, so stunning beautiful, very special and I can't imagine vocals on them.
    I think this is the ultimate example. A lot of others in this thread I can imagine having vocals. With Ice, it really feels like Latimer's guitar is singing.

A few more:
    Blue Oyster Cult: Buck's Boogie

Rainbow Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal

Grateful Dead King Solomon's Marbles

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Well start imagining.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I can think of quite a lot of pieces with vocals that I'd like better if they didn't.
    heh... unless it is straight up Rock or Funk, I generally despise most (though not all) vocals in music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Well start imagining.
    I've heard it, but I still can't imagine it.

I don't necessarily love it, but I do think its a pretty inventive and kick-ass arrangement vocally. Whether they should gave done it is another discussion altogether but a big E for effort from my POV. Not easy by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh... unless it is straight up Rock or Funk, I generally despise most (though not all) vocals in music
    Me too!

The word Musician is derived from the word MUSIC and I like music made by skilled MUSICIANS.

Rap, Hip-Hop and Pop rarely contain good musicianship.

I'll take 3 or 4 obscure skilled Norwegian musicians jamming, over watching a sexy woman lip-syncing while dancing with 14 other perfectly choreographed dancers anyday...
    Last edited by Mythos; 07-06-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I'll take 3 or 4 obscure skilled Norwegian musicians jamming, over watching a sexy woman lip-syncing while dancing with 14 other perfectly choreographed dancers...
    I'd add Jon Anderson's inane drivel!

but then I suppose some bands need a vocalist if they can not hold the listeners attention with just their music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'd add Jon Anderson's inane drivel!

but then I suppose some bands need a vocalist if they can not hold the listeners attention with just their music
    I suppose people just love to hear vocals, even if they don't understand what is sung.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I suppose people just love to hear vocals, even if they don't understand what is sung.
    I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head with that one Renate

Personally, if you played me a vocal song with the vocals removed, I'd likely think it superior

I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head with that one Renate

Personally, if you played me a vocal song with the vocals removed, I'd likely think it superior
    What did you think of Pendragon’s latest (Love Over Fear) where they give you both?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    What did you think of Pendragon’s latest (Love Over Fear) where they give you both?
    sounds like an interesting idea for all bands in the future!

Spectral Mornings

Can you name one or more instrumental songs that you love and can't possibly imagine having vocals?

I would have said "Spectral Mornings" until I heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49cwM7b1Wk