Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEEP PURPLE - New album "Whoosh!" late spring 2020

DEEP PURPLE - New album "Whoosh!" late spring 2020

... this, according to the German magazine Rocks who have just run a story with new band (and Ezrin) interviews. Alleged song titles:

Throw My Bones
    No Need to Shout
    Nothing At All
    The Long Way Round
    What the What!
    Man Alive
    The Power of the Moon

The album is said to be 'stylistically in the vein of Infinite', which suits me just fine as I love that album! (And Now What?! before it.) Rumour has it that the album is due around May. Here are some additional comments that were posted by a German fan who translated from the magazine article:

- Whoosh! will contain seven songs, most of them lengthy. The title is to allude to the world being eventually washed away due to climate change.

- Bob Ezrin is perceived as a hard taskmaster by the band, especially by Steve Morse, though it was Steve’s idea to use him in the first place (after having experienced him as a producer when Steve was with Kansas in the 80s).

- Bob sees Purple as “a genre of their own, not classic, not contemporary, if I had to give it a name I’d choose ‘rock grandeur'”. He also deems them as a quintessentially British band (and all the better for it, “only a Brit band could play the music as they do”) and Morse’s guitar style as “international and eclectic enough to fit in”. Improvisation — a dying art — is what makes Purple stand out, past, present, and future.

- Steve had a hard time adjusting from Jon to Don, Jon was telepathic, “with Don there were clashes during the recording of Bananas”, but that is now all water under the bridge. Everyone in the band is now in agreement that Don is the “mad professor” and the off-the-wall musical driving force.

- While Little Ian deems Purple’s 70s production work as “still sounding good today, they were products of their time and made for the audience we had back then”, he rates Bob Ezrin as creating productions that “sound like they stem from us, yet are made for today”.

- Roger hated the sound of Rapture of the Deep (the album) immediately.

- Back in the day Bob Ezrin was approached by Purple Records to produce Made in Japan, but he was busy with other things, so he turned the offer down only to see MiJ become the iconic live album of the 70s with huge sales making him think “Damned, I sure messed up that one!”

cd24.jpg

... so, yeah. Colour me EXCITED!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Now What..is an excellent, excellent record. Infinite, I didn't like quite as much. Kudos to these guys for putting out quality music at this time of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Now What..is an excellent, excellent record. Infinite, I didn't like quite as much. Kudos to these guys for putting out quality music at this time of their career.
    I agree. I thought Now What was nearly as great as Purpendicular. I liked Infinite at first but it grew away from me. It's still a good record even with that godawful Doors cover. But I hope that Whoosh finds the band going out with a bang instead of a "meh".

I wonder why Roger didn't like the recording of Rapture of the Deep. I really like that one a lot.

Great to see they're putting out another recording! I saw them late last year after many years, and they were terrific,
    though they only played 90 minutes. I'm also glad to hear the tracks are longer. I'd love to hear longer improv from
    Steve and Don and the rest. I hope they return to San Francisco some time. If not, it was a privilege to see them live
    again.

Great news, looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I agree. I thought Now What was nearly as great as Purpendicular. I liked Infinite at first but it grew away from me. It's still a good record even with that godawful Doors cover. But I hope that Whoosh finds the band going out with a bang instead of a "meh".

I wonder why Roger didn't like the recording of Rapture of the Deep. I really like that one a lot.
    I really love Infinite (I agree about Roadhouse Blues though). I had thought that if it was the last one, Birds Of Prey was a strong track to go out on. But I'm thrilled there is another one coming out, can't wait to hear it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ... this, according to the German magazine Rocks who have just run a story with new band (and Ezrin) interviews. Alleged song titles:

Throw My Bones
    No Need to Shout
    Nothing At All
    The Long Way Round
    What the What!
    Man Alive
    The Power of the Moon

The album is said to be 'stylistically in the vein of Infinite', which suits me just fine as I love that album! (And Now What?! before it.) Rumour has it that the album is due around May. Here are some additional comments that were posted by a German fan who translated from the magazine article:

- Whoosh! will contain seven songs, most of them lengthy. The title is to allude to the world being eventually washed away due to climate change.

- Bob Ezrin is perceived as a hard taskmaster by the band, especially by Steve Morse, though it was Steve’s idea to use him in the first place (after having experienced him as a producer when Steve was with Kansas in the 80s).

- Bob sees Purple as “a genre of their own, not classic, not contemporary, if I had to give it a name I’d choose ‘rock grandeur'”. He also deems them as a quintessentially British band (and all the better for it, “only a Brit band could play the music as they do”) and Morse’s guitar style as “international and eclectic enough to fit in”. Improvisation — a dying art — is what makes Purple stand out, past, present, and future.

- Steve had a hard time adjusting from Jon to Don, Jon was telepathic, “with Don there were clashes during the recording of Bananas”, but that is now all water under the bridge. Everyone in the band is now in agreement that Don is the “mad professor” and the off-the-wall musical driving force.

- While Little Ian deems Purple’s 70s production work as “still sounding good today, they were products of their time and made for the audience we had back then”, he rates Bob Ezrin as creating productions that “sound like they stem from us, yet are made for today”.

- Roger hated the sound of Rapture of the Deep (the album) immediately.

- Back in the day Bob Ezrin was approached by Purple Records to produce Made in Japan, but he was busy with other things, so he turned the offer down only to see MiJ become the iconic live album of the 70s with huge sales making him think “Damned, I sure messed up that one!”

cd24.jpg

... so, yeah. Colour me EXCITED!
    I too really liked the last album musically and of course Ezrin's production was top notch. My one caveat was the lyrics which I believe were written by Ezrin were absolutely cringe-worthy. I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics but unfortunately in this case they could not be ignored

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I too really liked the last album musically and of course Ezrin's production was top notch. My one caveat was the lyrics which I believe were written by Ezrin were absolutely cringe-worthy. I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics but unfortunately in this case they could not be ignored
    Ezrin made suggestions and contributions to the lyrics, but if you watch the documentary about the making of that album, you'll see they were largely written by Ian Gillan.

Hope they change the name of the album before it’s release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news. I hope it's more ambitious than InFinite, which had its merits, but felt a bit short and undercooked to my ears. There were some questionable fade-outs, and the Doors cover didn't make up for a much needed extra track and underlined the album's unfinished status IMHO.
    Beside the lyrics, I also had a gripe with the audio compression, which damaged the album's sonic qualities.
    The fact that there seem to be lengthy tracks on the forthcoming album may be a good sign.
    Anyway, kudos to them for remaining creative 50 years after In Rock.

Paradise Bar should have been on the album, and Roadhouse Blues could have been the bonus track on the CD single.

What is it with Roadhouse Blues? I've hated every iteration of it from the Doors to BOC to Deep Purple....
    Even more so when i had to play it in bar bands. Kill it already!
    So happy for another DP album. Digging the longer song format. Probably to give Ian a break playing live.
    Go DP!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Longer tracks with some extended solos would be a great thing. After all there’s not as much limitations on length like a 20 minute side on vinyl. These guys can still rock so why not do it on the studio recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    What is it with Roadhouse Blues? I've hated every iteration of it from the Doors to BOC to Deep Purple....
    Even more so when i had to play it in bar bands. Kill it already!
    So happy for another DP album. Digging the longer song format. Probably to give Ian a break playing live.
    Go DP!
    Well, it's gotta be the chorus. It appeals to both "rockers" and knuckle-draggers.

But the live version on "An American Prayer" is terrific.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I thought "Infinite" was great. Looking forward to a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post

I like it too, it starts off with a couple of rather average tracks IMO, but after that it's pretty solid.

https://www.deeppurple-whoosh.com/

Jun 12, 2020 - still three and a half months away!

Anyone remember several years ago we had a thread about bands who had released new studio albums every decade since the 60s? There ended up being a fair number that had released albums in each of the then-last six decades: I remember Caravan, Fairport, and Purple among them.

Well now Purple will have upped this to a new band album of studio material in each of the last seven decades. Quite an accomplishment. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Love the cover!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Love the cover!
    Me too. It kind of harkens back to the 70’s style covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. "Throw My Bones"
    2. "Drop the Weapon"
    3. "We're All the Same in the Dark"
    4. "Nothing at All"
    5. "No Need to Shout"
    6. "Step by Step"
    7. "What the What"
    8. "The Long Way Round"
    9. "The Power of the Moon"
    10. "Remission Possible"
    11. "Man Alive"
    12. "And the Address"
    13. "Dancing in My Sleep"

... not sure what they mean now by "longer songs", 13 tracks is quite a bit. But hey, as long as they're good! So ummm.. what's with track 12?

12. "And the Address"

So ummm.. what's with track 12?
    That would be cool to hear.

Assuming it's the same track, that must be in their live sets.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So ummm.. what's with track 12?
    Well, they redid "Bloodsucker" too with the Steve Morse version of the band, so it's not unprecedented.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The title is to allude to the world being eventually washed away due to climate change.

"Woosh" could be about something actually significant, like the woosh of the exponentially increasing computer power curve that we'll still be on at least into the 2030s, which will alter everyone's lives... The smartphone is a toy~!

[QUOTE=Progatron;959684]

Maybe they'll run into each other...
    Attached Images Attached Images