Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SNAKES

SNAKES

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Rat snake?
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Rat snake?
    We call them black snakes around here, but I think the same thing. He was just sunning himself in the grass. They usually don't bite but are good for keeping the mice and rats away.

Here's one my middle daughter came across Saturday when hiking with the dog. Looks like a black snake that caught a catfish.

He seems real docile. I found one in my wife's greenhouse and he wasn't having me pick him up for nothing. About the same length but a little thicker. Obviously well-fed.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Is that you in the photo Ed?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Is that you in the photo Ed?
    That's me.

This is my youngest daughter. She just graduated from MRI school last night.

When I was a kid I picked up a black snake about the same size as the one in the OP in a meadow in the mountains of Colorado where my family had stopped beside the road for lunch. I remember my parents yelling at me to "put that down!".
    <sig out of order>

This is my grandson about five years ago, that snake was probably about six foot long but very friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's me.

This is my youngest daughter. She just graduated from MRI school last night.
    Congratulations! You must be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    When I was a kid I picked up a black snake about the same size as the one in the OP in a meadow in the mountains of Colorado where my family had stopped beside the road for lunch. I remember my parents yelling at me to "put that down!".
    When I was a kid, I caught a garter snake smaller than the one in the photo. Carried him around all day. Bit me about four times and one of the neighborhood girls once before we decided to mosey on home. My parents freaked (my dad HATED snakes) and he took me, the neighborhood girl along with her mom to the local hospital to get tetanus shots. Ahhh, fond memories.

Had a 9 foot Burmese in college but the parents refused to let me bring it home, so I gave him to a guy with a collection of various critters. That snake was a lapse in judgment of a 20-something college kid.

Wild snakes - even when not venomous - are usually not that docile about being handled. Odd!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

When I was a kid, I caught a garter snake smaller than the one in the photo. Carried him around all day. Bit me about four times and one of the neighborhood girls once before we decided to mosey on home. My parents freaked (my dad HATED snakes) and he took me, the neighborhood girl along with her mom to the local hospital to get tetanus shots. Ahhh, fond memories.

Had a 9 foot Burmese in college but the parents refused to let me bring it home, so I gave him to a guy with a collection of various critters. That snake was a lapse in judgment of a 20-something college kid.
    Garter snakes are nasty along with common water snakes. Both of them would bite the shit of me when I was a kid. We even caught a couple king snakes,one queen snake, one eastern ring neck snake and a green snake which were all very docile.

Garter snakes are nasty along with common water snakes. Both of them would bite the shit of me when I was a kid. We even caught a couple king snakes,one queen snake, one eastern ring neck snake and a green snake which were all very docile.
    Yeah. I had heard that garters are some of the meaner snakes, at least in my neck of the woods (SE PA).

My dad was working on a barn, fixing it up into a house, and one time underneath, I saw a HUGE corn snake, one of the bright yellow with red saddles sliding behind a stone wall. Never saw it's head but it had to be twice as thick as a standard garden hose and it was taking a long time for it's whole length to disappear. Those are docile ones, and gorgeous. One of the only native N American constrictors I believe.

I am glad that you taught your daughters and grandkids that snakes are beneficial and worthy of our care and trust.

When I told my mom about the rat snake, she asked "Did you kill it?" SMH....

Two and a half years ago my partner's neighbor was taking a walk by the stream next to a cemetery by his house, maybe three miles from my house. He just happened to look up and saw this in a tree. It's hard to tell but I'm guessing he's probably 9-10 foot long. This has to be the biggest black snake I've ever seen.

My parents freaked (my dad HATED snakes) and he took me, the neighborhood girl along with her mom to the local hospital to get tetanus shots.
    ??? Was the snake wearing braces?

This is my grandson about five years ago, that snake was probably about six foot long but very friendly.

Are snakes really friendly? Or just tolerant ?
    I had tons of snakes in my younger days. Successfully bred a variety of live bearing constrictors , and smaller egg layers, corns ,gophers , milks etc. I had one gopher who passed the nasty mark by a mile , into physcotic territory. His terrible behavior won him his freedom.

Snakes are beautiful animals and valuable in the eco system. I was really happy to see a reemergence of a garter snake population locally over the last coupe of years after decades of no sightings.

Last summer, a local family went out to their pool, only to find a rattler in one of their pool noodles.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My friend has a ball python and he put it around my neck last year. I have a photo on the phone but don't know who to post it. Cool to see you in person Ed, after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Cool to see you in person Ed, after all these years.
    It's been a long time. Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Last summer, a local family went out to their pool, only to find a rattler in one of their pool noodles.
    That must have been a skinny rattler. I usually grab them at the Goodwill to insulate the pipes in the house.

My neighbor called three days ago and said he saw a snake when he was moving his woodpile and wanted me to come down and catch it. When I caught it and showed it to him he was freaking out like a little girl seeing her first period. It was a baby black snake.

Here is another I caught with my grandson Eli a couple years ago.

Cool! I love coming across snakes while wandering the woods...unless they rattle.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Cool! I love coming across snakes while wandering the woods...unless they rattle.
    I'm surprised you don't come across some when you are at work.