Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rush - The Body Electric video!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Seems like they were stuck in the 2112/Ayn Rand/distopian future mentality for far longer than I realized.
    More likely the director of the video was stuck in a whatever-it-is-you-just said future mentality. That's the way with a lot of those videos back in the 80's, it was some yutz trying to (as Paul Stanley once put it) "remake Raiders Of The Lost Ark in under 4 minutes". A lot of those guys were trying to further whatever artistic ambitions they had (and some of them obviously wanted to be movie directors), rather than doing something that was supposed to properly represent the music visually.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Have Rush ever released a dvd/blu-Ray collection of their music videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, the "Chronicles" DVD. "Afterimage" and "The Body Electric" are on there as hidden bonus tracks.

https://www.amazon.com/Rush-Chronicl.../dp/B00005O6OC
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    rather than doing something that was supposed to properly represent the music visually.
    Yes, but in this case, the video DOES have to do with the song. It's about an android on the run, and the video is about the same. Yes, the android may have inexplicably big Fabio hair, but there's no reason to assume it's NOT an android.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Seems like they were stuck in the 2112/Ayn Rand/distopian future mentality for far longer than I realized.
    I think that was just the style a lot of those early 80s vids had. That whole post-apocalyptic theme where the bomb drops and they live out their days amongst the rubble. All while wearing sweat bands, leg warmers, with moussed up hair and Flashdance sweats. So many bands had vids with that theme then. I suspect Mad Max was an influence.

I never saw this on MTV but I had Through The Camera's Eye and saw it there many times. The vibe of these vids fits the album well, IMO. All sort of dark and moody with a touch of 80s cheese.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The vibe of these vids fits the album well, IMO. All sort of dark and moody with a touch of 80s cheese.
    I would agree, but I wouldn't say that p/g has any '80s cheese, just the videos.
    Chad

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yes, but in this case, the video DOES have to do with the song. It's about an android on the run, and the video is about the same. Yes, the android may have inexplicably big Fabio hair, but there's no reason to assume it's NOT an android.
    Well, there were some videos where the director actually attempted to dramatize the song lyrics, and did a reasonably decent video. I haven't actually watched the video, so I don't know how good the video works. But whatever you see in the finished product, it has more to do with the director than the band itself. Maybe there was some effort on the band's part to actually make sure the director read the lyric sheet and understood what the song (on my first pass, I misspelled that as "snog"...now that's what I call a Freudian slip) was about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I think that was just the style a lot of those early 80s vids had. That whole post-apocalyptic theme where the bomb drops and they live out their days amongst the rubble. All while wearing sweat bands, leg warmers, with moussed up hair and Flashdance sweats. So many bands had vids with that theme then. I suspect Mad Max was an influence.
    Mad Max and Blade Runner, would be the more obvious influences, but any given director could have seen any given movie just making a given video and said to himself "I should do something like that, whether the client likes it or not". That's how you end up with things like Queen's Calling All Girls video, which is clearly a homage to George Lucas' first feature film, THX-1138 (a concept which Roger Taylor, the song's author, makes clear on the audio commentary of the Greatest Video Hits II DVD, wasn't his)

Let's see, there was:

Billy Idol: Dancing With Myself
    Krokus: Screaming In The Night
    Judas Priest: Turbo Lover and Locked In
    Blue Oyster Cult: Dancing In The Ruins
    Deep Purple: Knocking At Your Back Door
    Kiss: Lick It Up (did we ever figure out what "it" was?)

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were probably others. It seemed like a lot of videos either went "post-apocalypse" or they went "western". I remember Gregg Allman had a couple videos with a western theme (where he's an outlaw being hounded by an all woman posse), and I think there was a Ratt video that had a western vibe too. And both of those motifs were lampooned by Phil Collins in the Billy Don't Lose My Number video.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were probably others. It seemed like a lot of videos either went "post-apocalypse" or they went "western". I remember Gregg Allman had a couple videos with a western theme (where he's an outlaw being hounded by an all woman posse), and I think there was a Ratt video that had a western vibe too. And both of those motifs were lampooned by Phil Collins in the Billy Don't Lose My Number video.
    Duran Duran's obviously the biggest culprit with "mini-epic" videos, but the MadMaxiest of them all is the bizarre (even for them) video for "The Wild Boys," which had Simon LeBon strapped to a spinning windmill, dunking his head into water every time the wheel went down.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe it depended where you lived? I saw Distant Early warning a lot, and watched a ton of MTV, but never saw this one. OR the the one for Enemy Within! Have to go watch that now.

I remember a retrospective thing on the history of MTV being done for one of their anniversaries, and I Think it's Kurt Loder or someone like that saying, "I can remember watching MTV when it first started, thinking, 'They should be playing more videos than this'". But it's weird to me that there were a lot of videos they either only played a little bit, or not at all. Queen was another band where there were a lot of videos they weren't playing. I mean, they were playing Bohemian Rhapsody (presumably because the original Greatest Hits album had just come out), but not (apparently) any of the other 70's era Queen videos, and even the new stuff at the time, the only Hot Space video I remember seeing was Calling All Girls. OK, I know they probably couldn't show Under Pressure, but what's the excuse for not showing Back Chat?
    I saw the Queen "Under Pressure" video several times on MTV back in the day. It was actually where I first heard the song. Why do you think they couldn't show it? What I remember is that it was mostly in-studio footage, except the Bowie parts which were some sort of green screen backdrop thing with just his head in the frame singing the parts.

*EDIT* Okay, so it's seems I remembered the video completely wrong after watching it on YouTube. However, I definitely saw it on MTV numerous times back in the 80's. Not sure what I was remembering, unless maybe there was an alternate version with the in studio footage that I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Duran Duran's obviously the biggest culprit with "mini-epic" videos, but the MadMaxiest of them all is the bizarre (even for them) video for "The Wild Boys," which had Simon LeBon strapped to a spinning windmill, dunking his head into water every time the wheel went down.
    I forgot about that one. Yeah, supposedly Russell Mulcahey intended to make a movie based on William S. Burroughs' novel The Wild Boys, and the video/song was meant as a teaser, to entice the big studios into backing such a project, but it never got off the ground.

I think their other post-apocalyptic themed video was Union Of The Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe it depended where you lived? I saw Distant Early warning a lot, and watched a ton of MTV, but never saw this one. OR the the one for Enemy Within! Have to go watch that now.
    "Distant Early Warning" got a ton of rotation, but I never once saw the video for "The Enemy Within."

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I saw the Queen "Under Pressure" video several times on MTV back in the day. It was actually where I first heard the song. Why do you think they couldn't show it? What I remember is that it was mostly in-studio footage, except the Bowie parts which were some sort of green screen backdrop thing with just his head in the frame singing the parts.
    That's what's technically known in the medical profession as a brain fart. It wasn't Under Pressure I was thinking of, actually, but rather Body Language. Body Language was the one MTV almost assuredly "couldn't" show. There's actually nothing there that violates the FCC regs of the day, but I imagine someone probably thought it'd be "too controversial".

But yes, MTV did play Under Pressure regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    *EDIT* Okay, so it's seems I remembered the video completely wrong after watching it on YouTube. However, I definitely saw it on MTV numerous times back in the 80's. Not sure what I was remembering, unless maybe there was an alternate version with the in studio footage that I mentioned.
    The only Queen video I can think of that had footage of them in a studio was One Vision. The version MTV aired was interesting, because the song had been used in a really stupid movie called Iron Eagle. So the version MTV showed had clips from the video cut into it. But there was another version of the video, I guess done for the European market, which didn't have the Iron Eagle footage, and notably kicks off with a still from the Bohemian Rhapsody video morphing into a then contemporary recreation of the same shot, i.e. it morphs from Queen circa 1975 to Queen circa 1985, and then at the end of the video, the morph is reversed.

The only Under Pressure video I remember seeing was put together with from news reel footage and clips from silent movies (Nosferatu being one of them) and junk yard footage and other bits and pieces. Apparently, they couldn't schedule Queen and Bowie to do the video together, so this was done instead. I remember there was a point in the 90's, where VH-1 was inexplicably airing some sort of alternate cut that had the silent movie footage replaced with this weird sort of video effects shots.

On the Greatest Video Hits II DVD, Brian May and Roger Taylor make it sound like almost nobody saw the Under Pressure video, because a lot of broadcasters reportedly refused to air it because it was too disturbing or something. I think it's Brian May who says something to the effect that a lot of broadcasters refused to let anyone use "news reel footage to make a point of your own", or words to that effect. But MTV, at least, showed it a lot, so maybe it was in Europe or Japan or someplace like that where the video wasn't seen.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think MTV had the same feed for the entire country. If a given video was being played a lot in one area, it was being played a lot everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I think I have this on a DVD somewhere, not something you want to watch twice!

I pop it (Chronicles) in the player a few times a year myself although it is probably my least watched Rush DVD.

If I remember correctly, Afterimage was done for a compilation of videos they put out at around that time, I think it was called The Camera Eye or something like that. If I remember correctly, it had Vital Signs, Subdivisions, Countdown, Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, and probably both The Body Electric and The Enemy Within. Keep in mind, I'm quoting what I remember from renting the VHS more than 30 years ago at the video store that used to be at Cedar Center (it might have still been an Erol's at the time, before they got bought out by Blockbuster), so I'm probably leaving something out.

But I remember the back cover had a blurb identifying Afterimage as being exclusive to the video release (i.e. it wasn't being shown on TV at the time, and I don't remember ever seeing it on TV). It also referred to Vital Signs as "rarely seen", which can't be right because I remember MTV playing that video a lot in the early days.

As has been said, MTV did play Distant Early Warning a lot, and I remember once or twice seeing either The Enemy Within or The Body Electric, on MTV. There was one about a guy escaping from some sort of enforced labor camp or whatever.

I've always the selection of videos MTV played or didn't play, or put into heavy rotation or didn't, curious, and Rush is a good example. As I said, I remember seeing Vital Signs a lot. The other two videos they did for Moving Pictures, I don't ever remember seeing on MTV, though I've been told they were played at some point. Limelight I think I saw on Radio 1990, which was a circa 1982-1984 music show that aired on the USA Network, hosted by Lisa Robinson, who was a well known music journalist at the time. But I don't think I even knew there was a video for Tom Sawyer until sometime in the 21st century, either I saw it on VH-1 Classic or on Youtube.

But something MTV did air a lot was some of the clips from the Exit...Stage Left video, specifically Limelight, Tom Sawyer, and Red Barchetta, the latter two with the first few seconds (where one of the band members is talking a bit) snipped off. I remember they had them chyroned as "An MTV Concert" instead of the album or EP title they usually listed at the beginning and end of the videos.

So it's funny to me that they played the live clips of Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta but not the studio versions. And they were playing them a lot later than you'd expect, because somewhere I have a cassette I made of one such broadcast, of Red Barchetta, via the FM stereo hookup we had, and we didn't get that until 1983 or 1984, after we moved. I don't know how many years it was before I realized that song had a longer intro than what MTV usually aired.

I remember a retrospective thing on the history of MTV being done for one of their anniversaries, and I Think it's Kurt Loder or someone like that saying, "I can remember watching MTV when it first started, thinking, 'They should be playing more videos than this'". But it's weird to me that there were a lot of videos they either only played a little bit, or not at all. Queen was another band where there were a lot of videos they weren't playing. I mean, they were playing Bohemian Rhapsody (presumably because the original Greatest Hits album had just come out), but not (apparently) any of the other 70's era Queen videos, and even the new stuff at the time, the only Hot Space video I remember seeing was Calling All Girls. OK, I know they probably couldn't show Under Pressure, but what's the excuse for not showing Back Chat?
    Afterimage is definitely a fave of mine. Vital Signs was all over MTV at the time (It later appeared on the Through The Camera Eve video finally released in 1985 I think. (Vital Signs made it's DVD debut as part of the last Moving Pictures Deluxe Edition) The studio videos for Tom Sawyer and Limelight I don't think were ever shown in the US on MTV, they just used the "An MTV Concert" versions which was really the Exit...Stage Left Video which was first broadcast on MTV in either February or March of 1982. (I used to know this.)

I remember Queen did get dropped from MTV for a little while there. Maybe because they didn't tour the US after The Game?

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    These videos were originally on the "Through the Camera Eye" video tape.
    I think the only videos not to be reissued on DVD from that collection is Countdown and The Body Electric. Think I misspoke about The Body Electric being on Chronicles before. Brain fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Yes, the "Chronicles" DVD. "Afterimage" and "The Body Electric" are on there as hidden bonus tracks.

https://www.amazon.com/Rush-Chronicl.../dp/B00005O6OC
    There is also the bonus DVD from Retrospective III which chronicles (not sure if I intended the pun or not.) videos from the Atlantic years through (1989-2007) Some of my favorite videos are on this DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    The studio videos for Tom Sawyer and Limelight I don't think were ever shown in the US on MTV,
    I don't remember ever seeing them on MTV, but I've been told otherwise by other people who were apparently also watching MTV in the early days.

I remember Queen did get dropped from MTV for a little while there. Maybe because they didn't tour the US after The Game?
    Not true. They toured Stateside with Hot Space. The Works tour was the first one that didn't come to North America. With each album release, there was at least one video I remember seeing on MTV:

The Works: Radio Ga-Ga and I Want To Break Free
    A Kind Of Magic: One Vision, A Kind Of Magic itself and Princes Of The Universe
    The Miracle: I Want It All
    Innuendo: Innuendo itself

You hear talk of I Want To Break Free being banned by MTV. That may have occurred at some point, but I remember Martha Quinn or whoever pointing out that they were dressed up as the characters from a popular British soap opera (Coronation Street, not that I knew that at the time, but it's become known since then that was the show they were paying homage to). SO they must have played it for awhile, until someone decided that four guys hilariously dragging it up was "too much for the American public to take" or whatever-the-frell.

I remember seeing the I Want It All video on a "Here's what's new this week" kinda program, because I remember once again whichever MTV talking head, whether it was Martha Quinn or Kurt Loder or whoever, I don't remember, but I remember the new Queen album being announced on MTV, along with the news the band wasn't going to tour, as well as the rumors that Freddie had AIDS (which he was denying at the time, but we all know what happened)

I don't remember ever seeing them on MTV, but I've been told otherwise by other people who were apparently also watching MTV in the early days.

Not true. They toured Stateside with Hot Space. The Works tour was the first one that didn't come to North America. With each album release, there was at least one video I remember seeing on MTV:

The Works: Radio Ga-Ga and I Want To Break Free
    A Kind Of Magic: One Vision, A Kind Of Magic itself and Princes Of The Universe
    The Miracle: I Want It All
    Innuendo: Innuendo itself

You hear talk of I Want To Break Free being banned by MTV. That may have occurred at some point, but I remember Martha Quinn or whoever pointing out that they were dressed up as the characters from a popular British soap opera (Coronation Street, not that I knew that at the time, but it's become known since then that was the show they were paying homage to). SO they must have played it for awhile, until someone decided that four guys hilariously dragging it up was "too much for the American public to take" or whatever-the-frell.

I remember seeing the I Want It All video on a "Here's what's new this week" kinda program, because I remember once again whichever MTV talking head, whether it was Martha Quinn or Kurt Loder or whoever, I don't remember, but I remember the new Queen album being announced on MTV, along with the news the band wasn't going to tour, as well as the rumors that Freddie had AIDS (which he was denying at the time, but we all know what happened)
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Was there a video for Hot Space? Maybe that's why I thought they got dropped for a short period. I remember The Works videos and the ones for The Game but nothing in between.

Was there a video for Hot Space? Maybe that's why I thought they got dropped for a short period. I remember The Works videos and the ones for The Game but nothing in between.
    Aside from Under Pressure (which actually kinda predated Hot Space, as it was also on the US release of the original Greatest Hits album), they also did videos for:

Calling All Girls (the THX-1138 homage I mentioned earlier)
    Back Chat (might not have been issued Stateside)
    Body Language (which almost assuredly "couldn't" be played on basic cable, circa 1982)

There's also a clip of them miming Las Palabras De Amour, but that was actually one of their rare post 1974 appearances on Top Of The Pops. The story you usually hear about the Bohemian Rhapsody video was that they did it because they "didn't have time in their tour schedule" to do Top Of The Pops. But I think on the Greatest Video Hits I DVD, Brian and Roger both basically admit that it was really that they didn't want to do Top Of The Pops again, because they found it to be a torturous experience.

Back to the Hot Space videos: MTV played the hell out of both Calling All Girls and Under Pressure. I remember at the time, I was just starting to read magazines like Starlog and other similar publications, so I was aware of THX-1138, so I always thought that was really cool, even if Brian and Roger are both embarrassed by it. There's a shot in the video where Brian does this facial expression, and one of them says something like, "Getting dangerously close to acting there!". I get the impression that neither of them really liked doing the things where they had to pretend to be actors.

I don't why MTV never aired Back Chat, or not to the extent of the others, unless it was one of those singles that wasn't released Stateside, so someone decided there was no point plugging a single that doesn't exist in this country.

BTW, you mentioned the videos from The Game, but I don't ever remember seeing any of those on MTV, with the exception of Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Over the years, I've seen all the Queen videos (including the "unreleased" versions of Keep Yourself Alive and Liar), but at the time, Bohemian Rhapsody seemed to be the only pre-1982 Queen video MTV seemed to air. I remember that gag in the Radio Ga-Ga video, where the family pulls out the photo album, with each "page" being like 2 second clip from one of the videos, and most of them I didn't recognize.

Queen had a video comp called Queen's Greatest Flix, which I don't think I saw until the mid 80's, sometime after the release of The Works, because as I said, I didn't recognize those shots in the Radio Ga-Ga video.

But now all this talk has me thinking about some of the other bands where some, but not all of their videos got played on MTV. Judas Priest is one example. They had a whole gaggle of videos, but I think the only ones MTV played regularly were Headin' Out To The Highway, You Got Another Thing Comin' (anyone else remember there were actually two versions of that one?), and I think maybe Breakin' The Law.

I also remember they didn't play Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast video, maybe because of the lyrics.

Not much to interest me in the video but a reminder of what a great tune this is. Back in the day I was bummed out by Lifeson abandoning his fat hollow body Gibson tones and chorusing, but now I have an appreciation for this change in style -- those icy Fender Strat chords in the intro and the quirky solo are just fantastic.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I remember having my finger on the VHS record button when Alan Hunter did a "world premiere" of this video on MTV describing it afterward as "Blade Runner"-inspired. I used to love this song but it didn't age well for me but alas then they go and play it in the 80's/keyboard heavy first set of the Clockwork Angels Tour.

the video was kind of a cross between Mr. Roboto & Logan's Run.

Aside from Under Pressure (which actually kinda predated Hot Space, as it was also on the US release of the original Greatest Hits album), they also did videos for:

Calling All Girls (the THX-1138 homage I mentioned earlier)
    Back Chat (might not have been issued Stateside)
    Body Language (which almost assuredly "couldn't" be played on basic cable, circa 1982)

There's also a clip of them miming Las Palabras De Amour, but that was actually one of their rare post 1974 appearances on Top Of The Pops. The story you usually hear about the Bohemian Rhapsody video was that they did it because they "didn't have time in their tour schedule" to do Top Of The Pops. But I think on the Greatest Video Hits I DVD, Brian and Roger both basically admit that it was really that they didn't want to do Top Of The Pops again, because they found it to be a torturous experience.

Back to the Hot Space videos: MTV played the hell out of both Calling All Girls and Under Pressure. I remember at the time, I was just starting to read magazines like Starlog and other similar publications, so I was aware of THX-1138, so I always thought that was really cool, even if Brian and Roger are both embarrassed by it. There's a shot in the video where Brian does this facial expression, and one of them says something like, "Getting dangerously close to acting there!". I get the impression that neither of them really liked doing the things where they had to pretend to be actors.

I don't why MTV never aired Back Chat, or not to the extent of the others, unless it was one of those singles that wasn't released Stateside, so someone decided there was no point plugging a single that doesn't exist in this country.

BTW, you mentioned the videos from The Game, but I don't ever remember seeing any of those on MTV, with the exception of Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Over the years, I've seen all the Queen videos (including the "unreleased" versions of Keep Yourself Alive and Liar), but at the time, Bohemian Rhapsody seemed to be the only pre-1982 Queen video MTV seemed to air. I remember that gag in the Radio Ga-Ga video, where the family pulls out the photo album, with each "page" being like 2 second clip from one of the videos, and most of them I didn't recognize.

Queen had a video comp called Queen's Greatest Flix, which I don't think I saw until the mid 80's, sometime after the release of The Works, because as I said, I didn't recognize those shots in the Radio Ga-Ga video.

But now all this talk has me thinking about some of the other bands where some, but not all of their videos got played on MTV. Judas Priest is one example. They had a whole gaggle of videos, but I think the only ones MTV played regularly were Headin' Out To The Highway, You Got Another Thing Comin' (anyone else remember there were actually two versions of that one?), and I think maybe Breakin' The Law.

I also remember they didn't play Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast video, maybe because of the lyrics.
    Still kind of off topic. (Maybe we need an MTV 1981 to 1984 thread which was when I bailed and about the time Warners/Amex sold to Viacom and dropped the AOR/New Wave format)

Clearly I'm dealing with a failing memory when it comes to Queen on MTV. I remember seeing Under Pressure and Radio Ga Ga but not much else from that period. (I'm aware of Greatest Flix, but have never seen it.)

I think I remember seeing the soundstage video fro Another One Bites The Dust, but I could be wrong about that because I was also into the early years of VH1-Classic but while cool they also tended to be a bit revisionist in what they played.