Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2020

Yesterday's binge:

Yolk : Solar (2017)
    Wigwam : Being (1974)
    Zamla Mammaz Manna : Schlagerns Mystik / För Äldre Nybegynnare (1978)
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I don't know one way or the other.

I did meet him a couple of times and was even treated to a short private concert (Lars, my wife and myself) in the Chickenhouse in 1999.
    I would really like to know your impressions Steve. What was he like as a person? He seems like a friendly, jolly fellow.

A token of his extreme...whatever you may call it

the Piazzola like escalation at about 3 minutes in, with the entrance of bassoon, shows that besides the jolly atmosphere there was a very sensitive soul lurking behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I would really like to know your impressions Steve. What was he like as a person? He seems like a friendly, jolly fellow.
    well, he was very kind and friendly to me and Joyce when we visited, showing us the interesting sights of Upsala, but there was a definitely a 'tension' below the surface as well. He was very private in a lot of ways and kept a lot bottled up / hidden.

and he definitely didn't like the music industry although I guess he sort of tolerated / didn't distrust me too badly as he kept coming back for more...

Honestly: I barely knew him although I am very proud I worked with him a few times.

And he did send me a wonderful photo of himself in the Chickenhouse which he autographed. And the Chickenhouse was AMAZING. so much history everywhere.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 01-28-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

P.S. Ventildid is another GREAT one, but kinda impossible to find nowadays....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I heard from Cedric Vuille that he was extremely kind to the Debile folks when the met in those festivals in the very early 80's
    He was very supportive and welcoming

Dustman Dilemma - On Second Thought Surprisingly, I heard of this band just yesterday night, on Spacefreak's suggestion. Is it possible that this excellent, French band hasn't been discussed in other threads? I don't have any recollection.

This is their second LP (2018) and it sounds like a terrific blend of Canterbury music (or similar stuff like the Muffins) and Van Der Graaf Generator, with lot of exotic and experimental elements. Sax and clarinet play a prominent role. Great, essential stuff for fans of this kind of music (on the jazzier side of avant/prog)

Bandcamp link here, although I didn't see any "buy" option https://thedustmandilemma.bandcamp.c...second-thought

First album, released in 2012, is also great.
    Agreed two great albums. I bought both mine through Bandcamp last year and there was download or CD choice on both, so I'm surprised to see the 'buy' link has gone now. There is a link to the Baboonfish label but that page has gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Agreed two great albums. I bought both mine through Bandcamp last year and there was download or CD choice on both, so I'm surprised to see the 'buy' link has gone now. There is a link to the Baboonfish label but that page has gone too.
    -"On second thought"-
    I have it in my "wishlist", I just checked and those options/links are available and working fine ... weird !.

https://etourneur.bandcamp.com/album/on-second-thought
    Last edited by TCC; 01-28-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    -"On second thought"-
    I have it in my "wishlist", I just checked and those options/links are available and working fine ... weird !.

https://etourneur.bandcamp.com/album/on-second-thought
    Hah! They exist on two different pages -the etourner one works, but the baboonfish one doesn't:

https://baboonfishlabel.bandcamp.com...second-thought

New Chromb LP dropping 27 March:

https://chromb.bandcamp.com/album/le...des-merveilles

Just playing the sample. My daughter (aged three) says it is aliens.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 01-29-2020 at 07:50 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Woo woo, ordered, along with the new Horse Lords.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 01-29-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Woo woo, ordered, along with the new Horse Lords.
    New Horse Lords is pretty great. I'm gonna see them in 2 months.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    New Horse Lords is pretty great. I'm gonna see them in 2 months.
    I like a lot the little sample on bandcamp.

Tonite:

This slays. Plus has one of the best album covers of all time.

The most recent avant-listenings:

Wigwam : Being (1974) *****
    Miriodor : Cobra Fakir (2013) ***˝
    Rouge ciel: Bryologie (2010)
    Etron Fou Leloublan : Les Trois Fou's Perdégagnent (au pays des...) (1978) **˝
    Miriodor : Avanti! (2009) ****˝
    Henry Cow : Unrest (1974) *****
    In Love With : Coitus Interruptus (2018) ****+
    Théo Ceccaldi FREAKS : Amanda Dakota (2018) ****+
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Juan Carlos Ruiz just posted that Arteria are recording again. Sweet!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Juan Carlos Ruiz just posted that Arteria are recording again. Sweet!!
    Wow, great news, thanks for the H.U.!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

crashing-300x300.jpg

Absolute Zero - Crashing Icons

I got this one by mistake when my order got screwed up. It's a brilliant album with incredible sound and dynamics, and adventurous playing. Highly recommended!

^ An often overlooked but absolutely excellent release, that one. Most of it was apparently recorded live in the studio, rendering an amazingly powerful palette for the band to play out. Enrique Jardines held a PhD in bass, nothing less. And there's the voice of keyswoman Aislinn Quinn, sounding like an adolescent boy. But the real treat here is the monster percussion of Pip Pyle's and the writing/compositions/arrangements themselves. A great work!

I've been incessantly listening to that debut Chau Coco! album I bought from Steve F. What songsmiths, performers and arrangers! You'll hear traces harkening back to the Argentine book of Mercedes Sosa, Spinetta and Santaolalla (from Arco Iris), but also chamber-folk/jazz and lite-RIO. Fabulous production values too, unlike some of the Argentinian radical progressives like Honduras Libegrupo or Las Orejas Y La Lengua which both sounded a bit, er, amateurishly recorded although music was very good.

I haven't been listening to that new Mr. Mister, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ An often overlooked but absolutely excellent release, that one. Most of it was apparently recorded live in the studio, rendering an amazingly powerful palette for the band to play out. Enrique Jardines held a PhD in bass, nothing less. And there's the voice of keyswoman Aislinn Quinn, sounding like an adolescent boy. But the real treat here is the monster percussion of Pip Pyle's and the writing/compositions/arrangements themselves. A great work!
    Yeah, the drum sound and playing by Pip is a high point. And the huge fuzz bass sound. That combined with the bold compositions makes the whole outstanding. So thanks to whoever grabbed the wrong disc for my order!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    crashing-300x300.jpg

I got this one by mistake when my order got screwed up. It's a brilliant album with incredible sound and dynamics, and adventurous playing. Highly recommended!
    It's a great record. Somebody mentioned it in Canterbury 2019 binge-fest and got to listen to it.

From the weekend:

.Los Jaivas - La Vorágine. (Box set: 5cds.)
    (Free and structured improvisation, avant-garde, electroacoustic music, noise, etc..)

.Akinetón Retard:
    Akranania - 21 Canapés - Cadencia Urmana - Akinetón Ao Vivo.

ps: new album on the way... .
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Akinetón Retard:
    Akranania - 21 Canapés - Cadencia Urmana - Akinetón Ao Vivo.
    These are all very good. I started out with their debut, which has a somewhat "looser" flair about it compared to the dense structures of Akranania and on. Cadencia is their best studio release by far, IMO - leaving the more jammy parts behind and cncentrating strictly on tight composition and improvs within that. A very fine band but alas sadly overlooked - again.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    crashing-300x300.jpg

I learned about this album only last year I think and of course promptly bought it. Was not disappointed. Quite a wild ride and contains some pretty crazy stuff!

But who are these people? Pip Pyle is of course a legend but how about Aislinn Quinn and Enrique Jardines? What other stuff I should hear from them?

^ From what I understand, Quinn/Jardines were domestic partners and - I seem to recall reading somewhere - both music teachers. Jardines held a PhD in bass playing, as earlier noted. I'm saying "held" because he passed away a few years back.

There was a phenomenal live performance by them available on YT some time ago, but it's been removed since then. There's also an earlier demo, Live In the Basement or something, but I haven't heard it. Apparently there was also a set of unreleased recordings, some of which were rumoured to feature Pip P.