Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early 90s Yes convention in NYC with Jon Anderson?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok. Man, she bugged the F out of me once. I volunteered to work the merch table at the Pittsburgh Marillion convention (after being asked) and when they invited the volunteers in to watch the sound check and stay in for the show instead of leave and get on line with everyone else she freaked. She wanted her place as queen groupie to be unsullied.

Yeah, watched that video -- that's her. Groupie.

It was in NYC in '94 during the TALK tour. Peter Banks and Patrick Moraz were also there and jammed at the end. Jon played a bit of piano and Chris and Tony K showed up also.
    A YES tribute band performed a few songs.
    This was where I discovered there was actually a Progressive Rock scene beginning to happen. I met some distributors and John Collinge was also there. PROGRESSION was just a few pages stapled together then.
    I also bought Thomas Mosbo's book there at his booth.
    It was also my encounter with the YES "inner circle" of uber fans after being a fan since the mid 70s...

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    It was in NYC in '94 during the TALK tour. Peter Banks and Patrick Moraz were also there and jammed at the end. Jon played a bit of piano and Chris and Tony K showed up also.
    A YES tribute band performed a few songs.
    This was where I discovered there was actually a Progressive Rock scene beginning to happen. I met some distributors and John Collinge was also there. PROGRESSION was just a few pages stapled together then.
    I also bought Thomas Mosbo's book there at his booth.
    It was also my encounter with the YES "inner circle" of uber fans after being a fan since the mid 70s...
    I guess I didn't stay for the whole thing. Do you remember the hotel or general location?

Doesn't surprise me that Collinge was there -- he's everywhere. Except ProgDay.

^John Collinge used to go to Progday every year. I guess at some point he decided he couldn't take the heat(literally) like several others.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok. Man, she bugged the F out of me once. I volunteered to work the merch table at the Pittsburgh Marillion convention (after being asked) and when they invited the volunteers in to watch the sound check and stay in for the show instead of leave and get on line with everyone else she freaked. She wanted her place as queen groupie to be unsullied.

Yeah, watched that video -- that's her. Groupie.
    Christine Holz. She used to work with Suzanne Cerquone in Wonderous Stories Magazine. From what I recall in the old alt.music.yes days, those two had some sort of falling out, organized and ran competing Yes fests and things seemed to get bitter. Suzanne stopped doing the Yes fests and Christine kept them going and claimed to have trademarked all of the various fest names. She really took on that queen groupie mantle that someone mentioned earlier.

Are the Gottlieb brothers doing anything related to Yes these days?

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    That's a good question. None that I know of. I know they did some tour programs(even after Yes magazine). I think Union but not sure what else.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-08-2017 at 07:33 AM.

i remember tiz hay (?). i still have some of the magazines that she did in the 90s, pre-web. however, the adulation levels within were creepy. i tried my hand in being a contributor for a while but that sort of thing wasn't me. good job i waited for progressiveears to occur to me, innit? ;-)>

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    There was talk of a book a while back, but I've not heard anything lately.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Christine's newsletter had a pretty generic name like Music News Network, or something like that, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Christine's newsletter had a pretty generic name like Music News Network, or something like that, iirc.
    Yeah, that's exactly what it was(MNN). I'm not sure what happened to it or if it's still around but there is a website for it.

The generic name allowed her to be a groupie for a wider variety of bands.

Did she help kill the Blues?

The generic name allowed her to be a groupie for a wider variety of bands.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    Wow, has Steve Howe ever been that light hearted and jokey on camera before or since?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, has Steve Howe ever been that light hearted and jokey on camera before or since?
    I think he kicked Anderson in the shins right before this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

good ol' Mike Tiano
    2trevorsforlife

Did anyone here go to a Yes convention that was sometime in the early 90s - probably no later than 1992. It was in a ballroom at some random hotel in Manhattan, Jon Anderson appeared and spoke a bit, don't think he performed. Not sure what else there was there, but I remember it as the first time I saw Robert Wolf's table o' prog CDs, and the first time I bought a stack of non-major-label prog CDs all at once.

Anyone know what this convention was called? And what else may have occurred there?
    I was there and know what you are talking about----I went on the day Chris Squire brought Moraz out. If it's the same one---it was a random hotel in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post
    Sept. 9 and 10, 1994. But what do I know, I was only there.
    Me too, those were the dates..

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    It was definitely at Manhattan Center but I think it may have been the Grand Ballroom and not the Hammerstein Ballroom (but I could be wrong).
    Spot on. It was the Grand Ballroom on Sept 9 and 10, 1994. The cover band was Fragile. I only went one of the two days, but the highlight of it (for me) was that Steve sent in a video montage that was 10-15 minutes of footage of him over the years. Really great stuff. I also bought the Mosbo book that weekend and I still remember the one vendor selling the coolest Steve Howe shirt, that I would kill to have today, but was just a broke college kid at the time. Anyway, the organizers also took orders for footage of the weekend's events on VHS, which I forked over $25 for. It took forever, but they eventually sent it to me. The copyright on the VHS tape says 1996, so it was over a year. Sadly, none of the Howe footage made it onto the tape, probably because of copyright issues, but who knows. In any event, I was researching the event as there's little documentation on the web about it and I stumbled upon this thread and had to comment.

I'm in the process of having the VHS tape digitized and will upload it to the digital realm when it's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by khalpin View Post
    Spot on. It was the Grand Ballroom on Sept 9 and 10, 1994. The cover band was Fragile. I only went one of the two days, but the highlight of it (for me) was that Steve sent in a video montage that was 10-15 minutes of footage of him over the years. Really great stuff. I also bought the Mosbo book that weekend and I still remember the one vendor selling the coolest Steve Howe shirt, that I would kill to have today, but was just a broke college kid at the time. Anyway, the organizers also took orders for footage of the weekend's events on VHS, which I forked over $25 for. It took forever, but they eventually sent it to me. The copyright on the VHS tape says 1996, so it was over a year. Sadly, none of the Howe footage made it onto the tape, probably because of copyright issues, but who knows. In any event, I was researching the event as there's little documentation on the web about it and I stumbled upon this thread and had to comment.

I'm in the process of having the VHS tape digitized and will upload it to the digital realm when it's ready.
    Hey, it's funny to see this now because later in 2017 after posting this my company had their holiday party at the Grand Ballroom so I can definitely confirm that it was the same place.

Anyway, I'd love to see the VHS footage. Somehow I missed that because it's definitely something I would have sprung for. I have the program (autographed by Banks/Moraz) somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. I also bought the Mosbo book there! My girlfriend borrowed it from me and I don't think I ever got it back... well, she's my wife now, I'll have to go ask her what happened to it. Come to think of it the Yes concert at MSG that weekend was our first concert (of MANY). Crazy.

Here it is:

^That's great. Thanks for getting this out.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Did she help kill the Blues?
    Deep cut.