Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sunshine Pop Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Seems like The Explorers Club (not the trent gardner band) has decided to bow out after the release of their next CD. A shame really, they've done two excellent albums, but a third will be most welcome. Music of quality and distinction.
    Thank you for introducing the Explorers Club to me. I totally love their BB pastiches and downloaded "Do You Love Me?"

Are any of you folks into Belle And Sebastian?
    i like them very much, in fact their album Write About Love was in my player and turned up loud on a lot of sunny summer days last year. this one's pretty infectious

How about this gem from modern indie band 'Tennis'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGRFemBV30

Here's an album that's been in heavy rotation in the studio this past month. 'Seth Swirsky's Watercolor Day.' Beatlesque, Wilsonesque, Bacharachish with a dash of Nilssonism. One of his other projects is The Red Button. "As Far As Yesterday Goes" - highly recommended.

"The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey, I don't know much "Sunshine Pop" (didn't even know about this genre), but has this song been mentioned here at all?

Also, I guess this doesn't qualify as Sunshine Pop, but when I was about 6 years old I got this on a 45 that I had to cut out of the back of a box of Super Sugar Crisp cereal. Somehow I thought it was an awesome song. Not quite sure why now:

I had this from the back of a box of Super Sugar Crisp too, with a few other songs on it as well:

Last edited by JKL2000; 05-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Jefferson James
    In honor of the first day of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Dare I admit that I really dig that tune, KC, "I took a drive through the canyons of my mind" notwithstanding!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've been playing The 5th Dimension's 'Magic Garden' album quite a bit lately- a very ambitious work, composed by Jimmy Webb at the height of his powers (save for a cover of 'Ticket To Ride'). I love the vocal arrangements on things like 'Carpet Man' and 'Paper Cup'. I think I got into that album (though I knew the big hits) because some of the guys in Yes mentioned it as being an influence on them. I do hear a 5th Dimension influence on their very first album- 'Looking Around' and the vocals on 'Survival'.

Looking at the original post it reminds me I've also played that Carpenters' debut a bit too, but I've never appreciated that as much as their later work- it feels a lot more 'dated' to me than their subsequent work, especially that horrible vocal effect on their version of 'Get Together'. On there I do like 'All I Can Do' and 'Eve' a lot though, especially the latter- amazing melody! There's also a song called 'Someday' which they did again in 1980 as part of a medley- that particular performance might be my favourite ever Karen Carpenter vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    dude, that is awesome! got anymore of that stuff?

State Cows, from one town "over" in northern Sweden from Moon Safari according to Tobias, is a side project of some of the prog band Dynamo Bliss.

These guys have amazingly captured the whole southern Cal vibe, and have obviously listened to a lot of Becker/Fagen music, which is reflected brilliantly imo in both their chord changes/progressions and their arranging.

I asked Stefan (who's in both bands) what they put in the water there to generate all the great bands from Sweden, to which he replied, "salmon".

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Ha ha, the Sugar Bears! That’s Kim Carnes singing backup on “You Are the One.” She and her squeeze/writing partner Dave Ellingson wrote some songs for the Sugar Bears album (though not that one). Here’s “Happiness Train,” which features a co-lead from her:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Come and Fly”-Canamii/Concept

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I asked Stefan (who's in both bands) what they put in the water there to generate all the great bands from Sweden, to which he replied, "salmon".
    In that case, we need to have more good bands in Washington State, besides Presto Ballet.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I heartily agree. Kerry, that is a fantastic summer song. The type of stuff I'd buy in an instant.

Okay, that Jacco Gardner song is also great, by the way.

Here's an album that's been in heavy rotation in the studio this past month. 'Seth Swirsky's Watercolor Day.' Beatlesque, Wilsonesque, Bacharachish with a dash of Nilssonism. One of his other projects is The Red Button. "As Far As Yesterday Goes" - highly recommended.

Wow, I love this too. I think I will buy this. Still like Kerry's song the best though..

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've been playing The 5th Dimension's 'Magic Garden' album quite a bit lately- a very ambitious work, composed by Jimmy Webb at the height of his powers (save for a cover of 'Ticket To Ride'). I love the vocal arrangements on things like 'Carpet Man' and 'Paper Cup'. I think I got into that album (though I knew the big hits) because some of the guys in Yes mentioned it as being an influence on them. I do hear a 5th Dimension influence on their very first album- 'Looking Around' and the vocals on 'Survival'
    The album was an influence on Kevin Gilbert as well, who recorded a cover of "Carpet Man". Agreed, The Magic Garden may be Webb at his peak, along with the two Richard Harris albums A Tramp Shining and The Yard Went On Forever......

Jefferson James
    Dare I admit that I really dig that tune, KC, "I took a drive through the canyons of my mind" notwithstanding!
    LOL, I've caught a lot of slack over that cliched line; one dude asked me if "I'd been perusing Jewel's notebooks". Thanks for the check-out, Steve!

Thanks for listening, man, really appreciate it. There are other songs on my YouTube page but none of them sound too much alike -- by design.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I heartily agree. Kerry, that is a fantastic summer song. The type of stuff I'd buy in an instant.
    You rule, man, thanks Bill; I am neck-deep in Heliopolis these days but have been talking with a possible producer about working up a solo album in 2015, Allah willing. Fingers crossed!

Thanks Kerry. You know if you put the song on bandcamp or amazon as a single, I'd buy that sucker right up. Well the Heliopolis is going to be great. I know I speak for many when I say I'm looking forward to it.

By the way, due to this thread, the other night I bought the 2 Seth Swirsky albums and the first 'Explorers Club' cd 'Freedom Wind' which I liked much better than the Grand Hotel from the soundclips. They seemed to depart from their Brian Wilson sound somewhat on the 2nd album, but I did download 3 songs from it, and we'll see from there.

I just heard this on the radio a little while ago and like an ice cold Colt-45 tall boy it works every time.
    not exactly sunshiney but at least it comes from the right era and geographical location - enjoy it loud.

I just heard this on the radio a little while ago and like an ice cold Colt-45 tall boy it works every time.
    not exactly sunshiney but at least it comes from the right era and geographical location - enjoy it loud.
    plus Love's 1st 3 albums = still perfection (except Revelation) after almost 50 years!

Several songs on those 3 albums could be called sunshine pop, or at least sunshine pop psych.

plus Love's 1st 3 albums = still perfection (except Revelation) after almost 50 years!

Several songs on those 3 albums could be called sunshine pop, or at least sunshine pop psych.
    hah, I should've known you'd respond to this, you must have some special Love radar.
    now that you mention it there is some sunshine in those old Love albums

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    One Summer Sunday - I recognize this from the Ultra Suede tunes you sent me Kerry. The one here's a little different but no less fantastic!

Great to come back here and see the thread thriving.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Jefferson James
    One Summer Sunday - I recognize this from the Ultra Suede tunes you sent me Kerry. The one here's a little different but no less fantastic!

Great to come back here and see the thread thriving.
    Right on man! That Ultra Suede stuff was pretty cool...a damned shame the band just literally drifted apart. We're all friends, there was no bitter, beshitted breakup, we just kind of let it fizzle out. We only played three gigs but some of the rehearsals we had were fucking off the charts. Really makes me wish we had kept it going...glad you liked it.

You already know how much I love US, dude!

Why am I not surprised that the "Fly" also thinks it's killer.