Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Challenge

The Challenge

I'm addicted and caught up on the new season. LET'S GO!

YES!!! Let's get this party started!

For those wondering what the heck The Challenge is.

The Challenge (originally known as Road Rules: All Stars, followed by Real World/Road Rules Challenge and occasionally known as The Real World/Road Rules Challenge during this time), is a reality competition show on MTV that is spun off from two of the network's reality shows, The Real World and Road Rules. Originally featuring alumni from these two shows, casting for The Challenge has slowly expanded to include contestants who debuted on The Challenge itself, alumni from other MTV franchises including Are You the One?, Ex on the Beach (Brazil, UK and US), Geordie Shore and from other non-MTV shows. The contestants compete against one another in various extreme challenges to avoid elimination. The winners of the final challenge win the competition and share a large cash prize. The Challenge is currently hosted by T. J. Lavin.

The series premiered on June 1, 1998. The show was originally titled Road Rules: All Stars (in which notable Real World alumni participated in a Road Rules style road-trip). It was renamed Real World/Road Rules Challenge for the 2nd season, then later abridged to simply The Challenge by the show's 19th season.

Since the fourth season, each season has supplied the show with a unique subtitle, such as Rivals. Each season consists of a format and theme whereby the subtitle is derived. The show's current season, Double Agents, premiered on December 9, 2020.

Sorry. Definitely not my thing. I pretty much hate all of the so-called Reality TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm addicted and caught up on the new season. LET'S GO!
    Since you are new to the series, how did you react to it at first? Did it help seeing familiar faces from Big Brother and Survivor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Since you are new to the series, how did you react to it at first? Did it help seeing familiar faces from Big Brother and Survivor?
    I was off work last week so I spent the week binge watching Season 32, Final Reckoning. I wasn't so sure about it at first because the people in it just seemed too immature. There was way too much drama and I felt like I was watching a college dorm. But I was intrigued by the actual challenges themselves, so I stuck with it and it drew me in. There was something in the reunion show, however, that totally pissed me off. During the show, Ashley talked a lot about how Hunter treated her and there was some discussion about how the women in general were treated - things like being talked down to, patronized, called whores and slut-shamed. Prior to one of the commercial breaks there was a tease of what was coming up, and it said something like "Is Cara a home-wrecker". I really thought that was insensitive and that the producers just totally missed the point. What it should/could have said is "Is Paulie a two-timer". But I digress.

Season 36, Double Agents is not without drama and friction, but it seems to be on a slightly (very slightly) more mature level. I can't quite pinpoint the difference...I think that some of the contestants are older, and because the teams are not rivals, it's a little less high-school angsty. And there is no Cara Maria pining for a guy who clearly doesn't deserve the time of day from her.

I like seeing the familiar faces from BB and Survivor, It helps in that it gives me people to root for (or not) right from the start. I love Kaycee. So I truly like seeing her again. Josh, is a big hothead that I could do without, but I do see him as a lot tougher now than the pot-banging idiot from BB. It's good to see that personal growth on him. I find it fascinating that the people playing don't really know the rules this season. It's very unpredictable and I like that. As someone said (I think last week), it's hard to play a game when you don't know the rules. It's the opposite of BB and Survivor where the players not only know the rules, but have a pretty good idea of what the challenges will be, when the merge or double eviction will happen, etc. There are very few surprises on BB or Survivor for the players or the audience and I think that this (along with the level of the challenges) is what really separates The Challenge from the other shows.

I am recording Battle of the Bloodlines, so I'll probably watch that in-between Wednesday nights. Discovering this show and having a few seasons available to me is definitely going to help pass the winter faster.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 01-11-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can you give some examples of what the challenges are? I have no idea. I'm like moecurly, I really have no interest in these shows, but just wondering what the heck they're doing. I liked watching the crab fishermen pull in a few hauls of king crabs, but that's about it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can you give some examples of what the challenges are? I have no idea. I'm like moecurly, I really have no interest in these shows, but just wondering what the heck they're doing. I liked watching the crab fishermen pull in a few hauls of king crabs, but that's about it for me.
    Gruno can probably answer this question better than I can, but I'll try...

SPOILER!

I'll start by saying that two players were injured in a challenge this season and had to leave the game. The challenge was a fight where players were paired up and had to physically battle on top of a semi truck going 50 MPH. The goal was to throw their opponent off the side of the truck (there were nets on the sides, but still!).

Here's a video of six height challenges that you can scroll through, just as an example of what some of them are like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqOvpDYBBpI

I was off work last week so I spent the week binge watching Season 32, Final Reckoning. I wasn't so sure about it at first because the people in it just seemed too immature. There was way too much drama and I felt like I was watching a college dorm.
    Be prepared: each season has drama. Always. That's what sells it to the MTV crowd. The drama is fun, at times, but the games are the real winners here.

Season 36, Double Agents is not without drama and friction, but it seems to be on a slightly (very slightly) more mature level. I can't quite pinpoint the difference...I think that some of the contestants are older, and because the teams are not rivals, it's a little less high-school angsty. And there is no Cara Maria pining for a guy who clearly doesn't deserve the time of day from her.
    Cara Maria is one of my top players of the series. She is a good competitor, although I feel she has seen her best days already. She doesn't get along well with other women. She has a bad attitude a lot of times. Her problem is she 'needs' a man in her life and the men she chooses do not appear to be the right ones for her. She was dating Abraham, previously. They were both on multiple Challenges and started dating. He is one that I do not know if they would ever have return. He is volatile. She suffered a lot of mental abuse from him that messed her up forever, I fear.

I am recording Battle of the Bloodlines, so I'll probably watch that in-between Wednesday nights. Discovering this show and having a few seasons available to me is definitely going to help pass the winter faster.
    One of my favorite seasons of the last decade. Great element thrown in by having the bloodlines play.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    In!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Cara Maria is one of my top players of the series.
    She was my favourite player on the season I watched.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I used to like her but not since she's been associated with Paulie (who is a complete douche).
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I used to like her but not since she's been associated with Paulie (who is a complete douche).
    Yeah, she was on a good roll when she left Abe. Then, Paulie came along and his ego was somehow appealing to her and she has been a 'mean girl' since.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sorry. Definitely not my thing. I pretty much hate all of the so-called Reality TV shows.
    I'm too good to watch reality TV shows

So I had to look up why Natalie left the show. She found out that she was pregnant. Then, sadly, after getting home, she miscarried. https://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...er-miscarried/

Yeah, I looked it up the day after I watched the episode. Sad. She will return next season or so.

I just finished Blood Lines. I'm now recordings Rivals III which is being shown on MTV2 over the next couple of week. This is making being locked in the house all winter much more bearable.

How did you like Blood Lines?

Rivals III is savage. Do NOT read any spoilers for the season.

How did you like Blood Lines?
    I enjoyed it. I missed the first two episodes. I started it when they divided the twosomes into teams. I loved the strategy of picking someone to go into the pit, knowing that their bloodline would be out too. I also liked that the losing team had to pick one of their own to go in.

The challenges were kickass and the final challenge was crazy! Forget the carrying heavy loads and puzzles, just standing in that train station all night would kill me.

Rivals III is savage. Do NOT read any spoilers for the season.

The first half of the season is being recorded on Friday and the 2nd half on Jan. 29. I'm not sure if I'll start watching before I have it all or if I'll wait. We'll see. . I can also watch seasons 33 and 34 on demand. Plus, of coarse, the current season, so I have lots of options.

The addiction is real -- pace yourself.

The addiction is real -- pace yourself.

I know! I really want to start from season one and work my way up. But, honestly, that would kill any productivity that I hope to have for the next several years. LOL!

The first 5 seasons are pretty awkwardly different than what is current. Back then, it was a lot more like The Real World series.

One off-shoot you might want to seek are the short series runs of Champs vs. Stars. This is where Lolo first appeared.

The Challenge: Champs vs. Pros was a special mini-series of MTV's long-running reality game show, The Challenge. In the six-week event, ten Challenge greats competed against ten professional athletes. The series premiered on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, and concluded on June 20, 2017. The series was hosted by NFL wide receiver Victor Cruz. Contestants competed to win $50,000 to donate to the charity of their choice. In 2017 the series format was changed to include celebrities and was renamed Champs vs. Stars.

The format featured alumni from Real World, Road Rules, and The Challenge, competing with athletes who have participated in professional leagues and events such as the National Football League, Women's National Basketball Association, Ultimate Fighting Championship, World Surfing Championship, along with the Winter and Summer Olympics.
    There were 3 seasons. I like this short series. We saw many of the Challenge contestants work different strategies. There were some intense blowups and drama, also.

There were 3 seasons. I like this short series. We saw many of the Challenge contestants work different strategies. There were some intense blowups and drama, also.
    All three seasons are available On Demand. . This is cool. I thought it was only one season, but when I went in just now to see how many episodes there are, I realized that all three seasons are there. Groovy!