Thread: Peter Erskine on Steely Dan, Neil Peart, ZOOM and more.....

Peter Erskine on Steely Dan, Neil Peart, ZOOM and more.....

Here's this weekend's chat. I think I mentioned I'm cutting back for awhile, while I get a grip on my new job. That said, I can squeeze a few shows in here and there though... **For Episode #101 we caught up with Peter Erskine. During this particular chat we discuss his latest musical doings including his teaching via ZOOM and the improvements that have come in the past year for musical ZOOM conferencing. Also, his association with Rush drummer Neil Peart, who he taught for awhile in the 2010s. Peter was part of Steely Dan's first tour since 1974. Their 1993 tour reunion tour. He discusses memories of the tour and Fagen and Becker's style and musical ideals during the tour. Peter will be back for another episode down the road, so stay tuned!

Last edited by Sean; 08-01-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Many thanks, will watch later.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that was great.

The bit that really cracked me up was Becker and Fagen noticing that one night on Hey Nineteen he'd shifted from 118bpm to 119bpm and politely asking him not to do it again (circa 46m in). Their rep for attention to detail was not unmerited. “They wanted to rehearse it at 118.5, but I convinced them to stick with whole numbers...”.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Erskine is great company , that’s quite a coup Sean , looking forward to this

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Becker and Fagen
    I remember Dennis Chambers mentioning those guys were kind of weird.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I remember Dennis Chambers mentioning those guys were kind of weird.
    The stories are legion (and I speak as a huge fan). Guitar solos assembled almost note-by-note by splicing together slivers from twenty different takes, getting a studio technician to secretly sneak a small muffler into Bernard Purdie's bass drum to slightly change its sound (which he had adamantly refused to do), etc. Obsessive perfectionism to the nth degree, basically.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Thanks for posting this Sean. As a lifelong drummer, this was such a great watch.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    The stories are legion (and I speak as a huge fan). Guitar solos assembled almost note-by-note by splicing together slivers from twenty different takes, getting a studio technician to secretly sneak a small muffler into Bernard Purdie's bass drum to slightly change its sound (which he had adamantly refused to do), etc. Obsessive perfectionism to the nth degree, basically.
    One anecdote that I think Becker and Fagen themselves shared was obsessing over the intro to "Bodhisattva" (which is just a series of offbeat snare/hi-hat hits) as they didn't think the drummer was playing it with a consistent enough tempo.