Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prog guilty pleasures and true confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It is well played and well sung, but mostly it just makes me very sad because it smells so hard of not knowing what to do because of marketplace changes. Which to me is sad for someone with such a unique vision.
    Anytime an artist starts producing "what they think will sell" rather than "what they like" it always spells disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Smegma! (Your fault Steve F)!
    Is that Smegma of Smegma and the Nunz, the 80s Boston hardcore band that evolved into Gang Green?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Alanis Morissette, Elton John, Simon & Garfunkel, Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, The Smiths, Love And Rockets, and death/black metal bands like Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir, etc.

I don't feel an ounce of guilt or shame though. Not even about liking Phil Collins solo!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Is that Smegma of Smegma and the Nunz, the 80s Boston hardcore band that evolved into Gang Green?
    No - long long lived Pacific NorthWest noise makers, making noise before making noise was 'cool'
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Smiths
    Yes! Love the Smiths, and Love & Money, another 80s classic(or should have been) though I agree with you, I don't feel guilt for what I like. Even for liking 'Ventura Highway' by America or 'Please Let Me Wonder' by the Beach Boys.

Hello There Folks ~

Interesting thread and I'd like to share a few pleasures as well. Music, Oh! Music...

A few from the past : Cleveland's Michael Stanley Band
    Aerosmith through Rocks
    Heart through Dog and Butterfly
    Alice Cooper Band
    Duke Ellington
    Stanley Clarke through Rocks, Pebble, and Sand
    Foghat Nightshift
    Frampton Comes Alive

More recent years : Fanfare PourPour
    Paris Combo
    Katzenjammer (thanks Dave Sr. for this and Paris Combo also)
    Brian Ferry 'the Jazz Age'
    Brian Carpenters Ghost Train Orchestra

For Now
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley 'and I 'ain't' guilty'

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You know, we're often rather ignorant towards American culture here in Europe. So we don't always catch on while it's happening.

Thus I hadn't actually heard the original Glen Campbell version of "Wichita Lineman" until the ending credits in that episode in season 2 of Ozark, and I thought - Wow! This is like hearing "God Only Knows" for the first time all over again!

I think it's an absolutely fantastic tune, and with a mutha lyric to boot; there are Keith Reid'ian assets to the levels of thought in it. Completely gorgeous!
    And it's not even finished. Campbell took Webb's work-in-progress and ran with it.

I heard the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" in a shop the other day. It is a fantastic track, and I can't be bothered with anything else they've done. Same with Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You OUt Of My Head".

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I heard the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" in a shop the other day. It is a fantastic track, and I can't be bothered with anything else they've done.
    Lots of great tracks, just not always the well known singles. Left To My Own Devices is my favourite by them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    'Please Let Me Wonder' by the Beach Boys.
    Fabulous song, as are 'Kiss Me Baby' and 'She Knows Me Too Well' on that album (Today!).

2 of my most guilty pleasures are Yanni and John Tesh.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I heard the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" in a shop the other day. It is a fantastic track, and I can't be bothered with anything else they've done".
    I dig" Behavior" and "Very".I don't have anything else by PSB
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I heard the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" in a shop the other day. It is a fantastic track, and I can't be bothered with anything else they've done. Same with Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You OUt Of My Head".
    I hate Pet Shop Boys, but West End Girls is the coolest piece of music ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I dig" Behavior" and "Very".
    Those are very good albums. "Discoteca" is a particular standout.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    2 of my most guilty pleasures are Yanni and John Tesh.
    Those aren't just guilty, they're prosecutable.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Those aren't just guilty, they're prosecutable.
    Yanni's first album (or two?) were capable-enough Newage.

Tesh -- so far as I know -- never put out a straight-face album.

re: Magma's Merci

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It is well played and well sung, but mostly it just makes me very sad because it smells so hard of not knowing what to do because of marketplace changes. Which to me is sad for someone with such a unique vision.
    But wasn't the case with everyone at that time? It seems like everyone who had survived the 60's and/or 70's were trying to figure out how to keep going. Well, maybe something figured it out a bit quicker, before going into the studio, but I suppose I see your point.

I think it's rather unfortunate the album opens with Call From The Dark. I've grown to like the song, but the arrangement it has there, with the damn drum machine and the "ooh ooh baby" refrain must have made a lot of fans just go "What...the...FRELL?!" I forget who it was who said "Either they're singing in English, or there's a phrase in Kobaian that sounds exactly like 'ooh ooh baby'". A lot of people must have just said "NEXT!" after hearing Stella singing that first line.

I can tell you I was one of them (though I didn't hear the song until a decade later, when I called up a college radio station and asked the programmer to play "anything by Magma" and that's what she picked). I was just like "OMG!", it was like Christian Vander had a meeting of the minds with Peter Graves and Martin Landau and between the three of them, they somehow created the greatest Mission: Impossible episode ever, only in real life.

For me most of the rest of the album is actually much better than that opening track. Notably, I still think I Must Return is brilliant.

I remember the first time Magma played NEARfest, there was a great line in the band bio in the program about how Merci saw the band "Embracing pop and dance music forms, while incorporating French and English, but any opportunity for mainstream acceptance was undercut by the fact that the album was a concept album about death".

For me, though, the highlight of the album is this:
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Well, I bet this topic fits a LOT more progsnobs than one would think, for me, outside my abnormal diet of "real" prog or jazzrock fusion.
    I have a ton of music I love some might consider prog, I wouldn't:
    Snarky Puppy
    Shpongle
    Infected Mushroom
    Thin Lizzy
    Deep Purple
    Twelve Foot Ninja
    Toto
    The Brothers Johnson
    Tears For Fears
    Level 42
    Steely Dan/Donald Fagen
    Rascal Flatts
    Phil Keaggy
    Pages
    Gino Vannelli
    Max Webster
    Louisiana's LeRoux
    Little Feat
    Allman Brothers
    King's X
    Freak Kitchen
    Bob James
    The Rippingtons
    Atlanta Rhythm Section
    Flim & The BB's
    Tower Of Power
    Rufus
    Twennynine with Lenny White....

I can't stop!!!
    Alison Krauss
    Cara Dillon
    Debussy
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    Fela Kuti
    Jamiroquai
    Tchaikovsky
    Wang Wei
    Eagles
    James Gang
    Shawn Phillips
    Rachmaninov
    The Alan Parsons Project
    Handel
    Ravel
    The Steve Miller Band
    Wet Willie
    Claude Debussy
    Stravinsky
    JS Bach
    Mozart
    Bartók Béla
    George & Ira Gershwin
    Brahms
    Sibelius
    Stan Kenton and His Orchestra
    Woody Herman
    Glenn Gould
    Most Big Band music..
    Anúna
    Shooglenifty
    The Chieftains
    Luar Na Lubre
    Tchaikovsky
    Paganini
    Last edited by MJBrady; 09-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But wasn't the case with everyone at that time? It seems like everyone who had survived the 60's and/or 70's were trying to figure out how to keep going. Well, maybe something figured it out a bit quicker, before going into the studio, but I suppose I see your point.
    The disco and punk years were brutal for a lot of musicians. Suddenly, being able to actually PLAY an instrument became a liability, songwriting was passé, and development money and signings evaporated overnight in favor of one-offs produced for a pittance by one guy in his basement.

A lot of established musicians took day jobs.

I don't feel guilty about anything I like. Why should I.

I love a whole lot of German stuff, like:
    Bap
    City
    Ina Deter (prog connection, most of Hölderlin played on her debut)
    Haindling
    In Extremo (the odd one out in this list)
    Udo Jürgens
    Karat
    Heinz Rudolf Kunze
    Udo Lindenberg
    Maschine (Dieter Birr, formerly of Puhdys)
    Ulla Meinecke
    Nena
    Puhdys
    Pur
    Pe Werner
    Wir Sind Helden
    Zara-Thustra

Some international stuff:
    Adele
    A-ha
    Alphaville

1. -To my Classical friends, my love of Jazz, Prog, Punk/Post Punk/New Wave and Motown is a guilty pleasure
    2.- To my Jazz Friends, my love of Punk/Post Punk/New Wave and Motown is a guilty pleasure
    3.- To my Punk/Post Punk/New Wave friends, my love of Classical and Prog is a guilty pleasure (most seem to respect Jazz and Motown)
    4.- My Pop loving friends know nothing of the styles above, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Some do not know they even exist. Some Pop fans know of Punk/Post Punk/New Wave but that's it. I do tell them that they should be guilty of something...

v

OP here. Of course people can and will write what they want, but the thread has diverged from ‘guilty pleasures’ to any non prog likes. And there are lots of threads on the latter. For example, I love Joy Division, The Pixies, and Richard Thompson but there’s no shame associated with those.

But Donna Summers’ I Feel Love... well, there’s a bit of a ‘coming out of the closet’ quality to admitting that on PE. It’s like walking into a biker bar and requesting a K-Pop tune.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Stanley Clarke through Rocks, Pebble, and Sand
    but those albums are nothing less than full-on progressive Rock music (of the original essence kind)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    But Donna Summers’ I Feel Love... well, there’s a bit of a ‘coming out of the closet’ quality to admitting that on PE. It’s like walking into a biker bar and requesting a K-Pop tune.
    Ha, you might be surprised at how many people like ‘I Feel Love’. According to David Bowie, who was then recording his Berlin Trilogy, his collaborator Brian Eno "came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.'... he puts on "I Feel Love," by Donna Summer ... He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The disco and punk years were brutal for a lot of musicians. Suddenly, being able to actually PLAY an instrument became a liability, songwriting was passé, and development money and signings evaporated overnight in favor of one-offs produced for a pittance by one guy in his basement.
    Well, I think you're talking about something different than what I'm talking about. There were a lot of people who didn't necessarily play "virtuoso music" who were sort of trying to figure out what to do to appeal to the MTV audience. Some of the stuff like Aretha Franklin or Barbra Streisand comes to mind.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.