Thread: Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey

Curious if anyone here is into her? Her most recent album “Norman Fucking Rockwell!” has shown up on many bests of 2019 lists and has been picked as album of the year by several of them. A guy that I work with posted one of her songs on Facebook and something about it intrigued me. I decided to pick up “NFR” and am listening to it as I write this. This is not the type of music that I typically listen to, but there is definitely something about it that is appealing. The music is rather melancholy and the lyrics mostly relationship based, again not normally my thing, but I find my self continually going back to this album. Anyone else out there have an opinion on her or even familiar with her?

Here is a live version of one of the songs from the album:

Never heard of her. Not a very good singer, IMO, if the above is any indication.

Banned
    I've only heard 2 or 3 of her songs on the radio, however one of her earlier hits from 2012, "Summertime Sadness", was hauntingly beautiful and one of the better pop releases that year. It was from the acclaimed album "Born To Die". However, everything I have heard since that early hit is not on par with "Summertime Sadness". Her voice is usually reverberated, probably to create an atmosphere. If one is looking for great female vocals in today's pop arena, I would suggest Sia over Del Rey. Now there is an overpowering female vocalist with good songs to match.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I've only heard 2 or 3 of her songs on the radio, however one of her earlier hits from 2012, "Summertime Sadness", was hauntingly beautiful and one of the better pop releases that year. It was from the acclaimed album "Born To Die". However, everything I have heard since that early hit is not on par with "Summertime Sadness". Her voice is usually reverberated, probably to create an atmosphere. If one is looking for great female vocals in today's pop arena, I would suggest Sia over Del Rey. Now there is an overpowering female vocalist with good songs to match.
    AS you and rcarlberg point out, she doe not have the greatest voice, but on the album I have, there is something about her songwriting that kind of clicks with me. I am still not sure how much I actually like it, but I keep pulling the album out for additional listens.

many years old, but this is the only thing relevant to me about Lana Del Rey.

https://allmediareviews.blogspot.com...ecco-ours.html

if there was any justice, after that tour, her fanbase would have gone apeshit for Jimmy and Ours, but it didn't happen.

She seems to be very popular, for some strange reason, with metalheads.

She is very good in a Kate Bush sort of way.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I think that it would be mistaken to presume that her music is all about her "voice" - she's not a "pure" singer, & her music is much more effective in a studio setting than a in a live context.

She is a very powerful lyricist, mining quite a specific seam of issues. To do so, she has created the persona of LDR - so there is a strong performative element in her work - & this translates into her singing. It's as if it's a kind of "beatnik" singing or performance, if that makes any sense.

There's no doubt that her lyrics make for uncomfortable listening. I think her first records were superb, but that there were diminishing returns in subsequent releases. This thread prompted me to listen to some songs from NFR - & it strikes me that this album may be a real step up for her work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I think that it would be mistaken to presume that her music is all about her "voice" - she's not a "pure" singer, & her music is much more effective in a studio setting than a in a live context.

She is a very powerful lyricist, mining quite a specific seam of issues. To do so, she has created the persona of LDR - so there is a strong performative element in her work - & this translates into her singing. It's as if it's a kind of "beatnik" singing or performance, if that makes any sense.

There's no doubt that her lyrics make for uncomfortable listening. I think her first records were superb, but that there were diminishing returns in subsequent releases. This thread prompted me to listen to some songs from NFR - & it strikes me that this album may be a real step up for her work.
    Good points to drive home, especially the "persona" and "beatnik" aspects of her performances. Her voice is serviceable to my way of listening, so it all comes down to the song selection process. "Summertime Sadness" was such a dramatic and emotive piece which established a high bar for subsequent releases that I couldn't get past when listening to later hits. Reminds me a little of Lorde's initial hit, "Royals". Later stuff by her sounded paled in comparison, so this is probably my lack of appreciation for today's "flavor" of the month vocalists. Without solid, ongoing songwriting they don't have staying power for listeners like me. But, that's just me speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    She seems to be very popular, for some strange reason, with metalheads.

She is very good in a Kate Bush sort of way.
    The guy that turned me on to her is a huge metal head. He usually listens to stuff like Slipnot and Korn.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

I would agree that some of her lyrics are "uncomfortable". That is a good way to describe it.