Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Top 10 Heaviest Prog Albums of All Time

The Top 10 Heaviest Prog Albums of All Time

...as chosen by Brett Campbell and Joseph D Rowland of doom-metallers Pallbearer:

https://www.loudersound.com/features...ver-pallbearer

This was a really pleasant surprise - an absolutely great list which shows that these guys are pretty deep progheads with a nuanced grasp of the many ramifications that live within the word 'heavy'.

For the link-phobic, their ten picks are:

Shub-Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vite
    Socrates Drank the Conium - Phos
    Univers Zero - Heresie
    Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust
    Captain Beyond - s/t
    Sahara - Sunrise
    Automatic Fine Tuning - A.F.T.
    Ramses - La Leyla
    Khan - Space Shanty
    Tangerine Dream - Zeit

Even the more obvious choices are right on the money. I must say this now makes me want to check out the music of Pallbearer, too.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Khan seems an odd choice, I'll check out the ones I don't know, Shub, UZ & TD are slam dunks.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Interesting list. Good to see Socrates in there, followed with an appreciation for Yiannis Spathas' guitar work. This guy had a unique style and sound (sadly he passed away very recently).

Heavy prog? My instantaneous choices would be Semiramis, El Reloj, Miguel Abuelo & Nada, Triettoariga Kriget, Sandrose.

Listening to Sahara - Sunrise right now, and it's heavy as hell for sure. At least that side B suite.

Banned
    Like most lists, quite subjective based on taste and definition of "heavy". Of the ones I am familiar with:

Univers Zero - Heresie - Belongs, but a different kind of "heavy" from the others, if you know what I mean.

Captain Beyond - s/t - Definitely among the heaviest, but actually in the category of hard rock more than Prog.

Sahara - Sunrise - Only had their follow up "For All The Clowns" and it was more spacey & avant than heavy; makes me want to hear this one

Automatic Fine Tuning - A.F.T. - Never really got into this one; in retrospect it sounded like proto-post rock and lacked cohesion

Ramses - La Leyla - It has it's hard hitting moments for sure; but lots of mellow and dreamy parts throughout, not all that heavy overall

I've seen much worse lists and lists are by the nature something to take issue with.

No 1970 era Guru Guru?

okey dokey.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Orchid by Opeth?

Louder.com just published this list... https://www.loudersound.com/features...ver-pallbearer

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    Louder.com just published this list... https://www.loudersound.com/features...ver-pallbearer
    And this is different from OP how?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    And this is different from OP how?

It's 6 posts later and redundant?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Interesting list. I really love the Sahara, Ramses, Khan and TD albums, but “heavy” is not a word I’d use to describe any of them.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Top 10 Heavy Prog albums is subjective, and that list has some fine albums. But Top 10 Heaviest Prog albums is something else entirely. If the standard is "heaviest," none of those albums would be on the list.

If dark and oppressive means heavy then at least 3 of them qualify.
    Ian

^ Nope. Heavy can be dark and oppressive, but it doesn't have to be. Likewise, dark and oppressive can be heavy, but it doesn't have to be.

Fire up some Bodkin, and you will have the real article.

Lack of Magma kills the deal for me. KMX B12? De Futura? What? Several of the bands on the list do not exist without Magma.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Lack of Magma kills the deal for me. KMX B12? De Futura? What? Several of the bands on the list do not exist without Magma.
    Yes, and how about Grobschnitt? What about Hawkwind's "Space Ritual"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ...as chosen by Brett Campbell and Joseph D Rowland of doom-metallers Pallbearer:

https://www.loudersound.com/features...ver-pallbearer

This was a really pleasant surprise - an absolutely great list which shows that these guys are pretty deep progheads with a nuanced grasp of the many ramifications that live within the word 'heavy'.

For the link-phobic, their ten picks are:

Shub-Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vite
    Socrates Drank the Conium - Phos
    Univers Zero - Heresie
    Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust
    Captain Beyond - s/t
    Sahara - Sunrise
    Automatic Fine Tuning - A.F.T.
    Ramses - La Leyla
    Khan - Space Shanty
    Tangerine Dream - Zeit

Even the more obvious choices are right on the money. I must say this now makes me want to check out the music of Pallbearer, too.
    Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Nope. Heavy can be dark and oppressive, but it doesn't have to be. Likewise, dark and oppressive can be heavy, but it doesn't have to be.

Fire up some Bodkin, and you will have the real article.
    So if it can be, then it can be applied.
    Ian

How is there no Magma on this?! Still, it's nice to know someone else has heard that Ramses record, I have that on vinyl. I'll have to dig the cassette I made from it listen to it one of these days. WOuld love to have it on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So if it can be, then it can be applied.
    Well, not really. Remember the standard isn't "heavy," it's "heaviest," at least for this thread. (I don't know if that applies to the article.) "Heavy" has been a well-understood term musically since the early 70s. It was never applied to bands like the ones in the list, apart from Socrates Drank The Conium. (Can't speak to Captain Beyond.) But "heaviest" is the Heavy of the Heavies. The Black Sabbaths of Prog-Rock. I can name some ball crushers who have been called Prog-Rock by many dealers in the past, but many of them are only Prog in the whiff of Prog sense. However, Bodkin is right down the middle of the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Captain Beyond - s/t - Definitely among the heaviest, but actually in the category of hard rock more than Prog.
    I'm only familiar with Sufficiently Breathless but if they are going to include Captain Beyond, how about Lucifer's Friend and/or Uriah Heep?

The eons are closing
    The Captain's s/t is much heavier than sufficiently breathless.

But yeah, the list could go lots of places - like AR's Death Walks Behind You.

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I miss Magma as well on that list. Never considered Ramses in any way as heavy.

The first Captain Beyond is killer and heavy. Rhino nails it on electric guitars.

An album that achieved to gather the best elements from hard rock, psych and prog. The follow up was good, but definitely inferior.

I had never heard of A.F.T. I liked it!