Thread: Need Help From Someone Who Buys And Sells A Lot

Need Help From Someone Who Buys And Sells A Lot

Many of us remember Keith Ling, aka Jubal, our friend for many years on this and the previous incarnation of PE.

Keith passed away earlier this year and his family needs to unload much of his CD and DVD collection - and made the grave mistake of asking me if the prices were reasonable!

I say "mistake", because I almost never buy or sell on these boards, so I'm completely out-of-touch with the prices these items command.

So I'm looking for someone who buys and sells a lot to contact me offline, to help Keith's family develop an understanding of appropriate prices for various items.

Please help!
    Regards,

Duncan

You could have a look at discogs to get an idea what people are asking for those items. Discogs also shows minimum, maximum and mean prices that items were actually sold for.

I sell on both Amazon and Discogs and I also do consignment for some of my local customers. With the consignment, I take 50% after all the expenses. That may sound high, but for the amount of labor involved (especially the work done for ones that don't sell) it really isn't. Those I've done the consignment deal for have always been happy because even with the split, they're still making more than what a record store would pay.

But if someone in the family has the time, Discogs would definitely be the way to go for maximizing a return.

Peter

I would second that consignment idea, or simply have a record store proprietor look at the collection and say, "how much will you give me for everything?" Selling it piecemeal on one's own is actually more trouble than it's worth. Say you sell a record or CD for $5. If it took you about an hour to photograph it, write a description, post it, print the shipping and postage label, package it, and drive to the Post Office to drop it off...you've just made $5 an hour. That's $2.25 below the federal minimum wage, and further below the minimum wage in some states. Then subtract from that $5 the ebay/discogs listing, and paypal fees.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have a hopping discogs store, and a name well known and trusted in prog circles, and I am happy to do a favorable consignment deal for Keith's family (25% me, rest them after discogs commissions). Hit me up with an email at laduca@msu.edu and let's make this happen for Keith's family. All they need to do is box them up, send them to me, and I'll do the rest.

Rob what is your discogs store name under?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The eons are closing
    IIRC its just laduca

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    I have a hopping discogs store, and a name well known and trusted in prog circles, and I am happy to do a favorable consignment deal for Keith's family (25% me, rest them after discogs commissions). Hit me up with an email at laduca@msu.edu and let's make this happen for Keith's family. All they need to do is box them up, send them to me, and I'll do the rest.
    I've done the exact same thing for other people as well through my Discogs, and would suggest this as the best route with the least amount of headache in setting up your own shop and learning the ropes of selling. 25% is a very friendly rate given the amount of work involved.

And aside from knowing Rob for 20 years now, I've gotten things from above mentioned store and he's a legit seller

good lord 20 years holy shit Mike Pr33t

Back to the original topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Many of us remember Keith Ling, aka Jubal, our friend for many years on this and the previous incarnation of PE.

Keith passed away earlier this year and his family needs to unload much of his CD and DVD collection - and made the grave mistake of asking me if the prices were reasonable!

I say "mistake", because I almost never buy or sell on these boards, so I'm completely out-of-touch with the prices these items command.

So I'm looking for someone who buys and sells a lot to contact me offline, to help Keith's family develop an understanding of appropriate prices for various items.

Please help!
    Many thanks to all who responded. I believe Keith's family's problem is in hand now, and hope they'll have a good outcome.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    good lord 20 years holy shit Mike Pr33t
    I'm not sure which one of us that should make feel old