Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA Play-offs 2022

NBA Play-offs 2022

With the play-in games starting today the NBA second season is about underway. Thoughts? Predictions? Favorites? Gossip?

I'm GSW all the way, lifelong fan, first game was Bucks at Warriors Oct. 1973.

I like that unlike previous lopsided years, both conferences have a shot at the title and there are quality teams up and down the seeds. In the West obviously the Suns are best, Memphis are young and talented, Warriors are experienced but short-handed, Dallas has Donkic, a likely repeat league MVP, Denver has The Joker who can dominate games at will, and even Utah may surprise a few teams. In the East, arguably the second best team, Nets, is in the play-in game and if they make it through will wreak havoc on the seedings. The bottom half of the East bracket includes great match-ups for the first round - MIL v. CHI and BKN* v. BOS.

I'm usually anxious this time of year lately as the Warriors have been so good for a few years, but this time around I am excited for some great series'
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

All I can say is we in the Phoenix area have very high hopes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

After having spent 40+ years of my life disliking (or, at least, being uninterested), something clicked this year. I’m now an avowed CLT (ugh, CHA) Hornets fan. When this young team plays well and everything clicks, they are a joy to watch. I’m hoping they can at least beat Atlanta tomorrow but have no expectations.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Can one explain me , please, the principle of these play-in play-off (outside a bad play on words)?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Can one explain me , please, the principle of these play-in play-off (outside a bad play on words)?
    It's just a brief preliminary round to give the 9th and 10th place teams a chance to still qualify for the "real" playoffs.

Game 1: 7th vs. 8th -> Winner clinches 7th seed.
    Game 2: 9th vs. 10th -> Loser is eliminated.
    Game 3: Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Winner -> Winner clinches 8th seed.

So in plain English, the teams which finished 7th and 8th in the regular season only need to win one game to preserve their playoff spot and need to lose twice to be eliminated. The 9th and 10th place teams need to win twice to make the playoffs and are eliminated with a single loss.

thx

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Since the Pistons are still a long ways from being a playofff team, I will be rooting for the Bucs since it is my wife's family team.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    With the play-in games starting today the NBA second season is about underway. Thoughts? Predictions? Favorites? Gossip?
    I've been a Cavaliers fan since about 1990 so I'm hoping for a win on Friday so they can at least make the playoffs. I don't have much expectations beyond that but I do actually think 8th that place in the East is a better place to be than 6th or 7th.

I think a repeat of last year's Milwaukee/Phoenix final is most likely, barring a major injury to a key player.

Looking forward to Matisse Thybulle not being able to play in Toronto because he's a moron.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Since the Pistons are still a long ways from being a playofff team, I will be rooting for the Bucs since it is my wife's family team.
    Football??? (The Bucks) ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I've been a Cavaliers fan since about 1990 so I'm hoping for a win on Friday so they can at least make the playoffs. I don't have much expectations beyond that but I do actually think 8th that place in the East is a better place to be than 6th or 7th.

I think a repeat of last year's Milwaukee/Phoenix final is most likely, barring a major injury to a key player.
    You may be right, however I'd add the Celtics and Grizzlies as serious speed bumps to the championship game.

As for play-in play-off, it is 100% a money grab for the NBA and effectively changes play-off clinching to 1-6 in each division.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In even plainer terms, there've been many times when 2 teams were tied for the 8th seed. The team who won more of the regular season games they directly played went on to the playoffs.

So much for the Hornets. They got crushed.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    All I can say is we in the Phoenix area have very high hopes.
    In that case, I'm glad I'm in Scottsdale!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Scottsdale equals low to medium hopes.

You may be right, however I'd add the Celtics and Grizzlies as serious speed bumps to the championship game.
    Celtics are in tough due to how the brackets unfolded. I would pick any of the Bucks, Celtics, or Nets over any of the Heat, Sixers, or Raptors, but only one of the Bucks, Celtics, or Nets can possibly reach the Eastern Conference Final, and one of the Heat, Sixers, or Raptors is guaranteed to make it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    [...] and one of the Heat, Sixers, or Raptors is guaranteed to make it that far.
    I mean assuming, of course, that the #8 seed doesn't pull off back-to-back upsets.

Scottsdale equals low to medium hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    When many people in Tucson answer the question if they're supporting the Suns, D-Backs or Cards, they ask "Do you care about Tucson sports?" My answer is as a matter of fact, yes! Every March, people in the Phoenix area hang up their Sundevils jerseys, and dust off their Wildcats jerseys.

Watching Hawks@Heat. Go Heat!

Chippy, scrappy game. Sparks flying, lotsa penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Chippy, scrappy game. Sparks flying, lotsa penalties.
    The Eastern conference playoffs are noticeably more physical.

The Eastern conference playoffs are noticeably more physical.
    Celtics/Nets looked like a Pistons/Bulls game from 1990!

Charles Barkley said his former team, the Suns had the most effective defense he's ever seen last night. Completely shutting down the Pelicans during the first half.

Man, are the Raptors and their fans whiny. If you don't want Embiid to shoot foul shots, maybe stop fouling/mauling him?

Meanwhile, presumed MVP Nikola Jokic is doing more damage than good to his team's chances. Hmm....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Game 2 comments - Watching Suns - Pelicans and super impressed with the young team the Pels have. While they won't win this series, I do foresee many seasons in the playoffs for them in the future. I was a bit disappointed that a few of the "better" game 2's were scheduled for tonight rather than bundling them Mon/Tue like the NCAA would have. As for my hometown Dubs, Jordan Poole is having a huge coming out party. We all knew about him here in the Bay and it's awesome that the rest of the league's fans are seeing what a treasure he is for the team. Much of the talk out here is focused on the "death lineup", Curry, Klay, Poole, Draymond and Wiggins. The Nuggets don't seem to be able to keep up with them... too many weapons on the floor at once and Draymond on the defensive side.

Looking forward to Celts-Nets part 2 tonight!