Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haken - Virus

Haken - Virus

... I'm short for words...
    I thought Vector was the pinnacle, nuh...
    nonstop WOW factor. Carousel is mother of all epics.
    Jeeeez

Listening to it right now and enjoying it very much. I generally don't like much Metal but this is quite good. Very melodic. Lots of dynamic shifts.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

It definitely plants them firmly as the foremost clean-vocalled prog metal band. After Caligula's Horse's excellent In Contact, they were nipping at Haken's heels, but after a somewhat lackluster release from Caligula's Horse (not bad, but not spectacular) and Haken's amazing Virus, I feel like Haken has moved into a class of their own. Not that it's a competition. And all of this is just my opinion, of course.

I also assume the style I'm listening to in a lot of these songs is what is called "djent".
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I listened to Vector and Virus back-to-back last night and my jaw is still open. Together they're absolutely staggering.

... that is post djent

human brain cant comprehend that in 1-2 passes. On the first one you fell like you've brushed with something of epic proportions... like maybe a "black hole" . it'll start unfolding soon... how are they writing that sort of complex music, let alone performing that... and live too.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    how are they writing that sort of complex music, let alone performing that... and live too.
    This is exactly what I thought while listening to Virus. How in the world did they WRITE this let along perform it. I was actually happy during the few parts where I could grasp mentally what they were doing (like Messiah Complex Part II) because it gave me a moment to rest.

I listened to Moon Safari Lover's End Part III directly afterwards as a palate cleanser. I actually found the contrast sort of amazing.

I'm glad people finally get to hear this thing. It was months ago that I reviewed it, before all the delays came to light. I hope I'm still right about it.

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/hake...nsideout-2020/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, Virus is great. I had a second listen this morning.

BTW, I never really knew what djent was, but to me this just sounds like Prog Metal.

No doubt "Virus" is right up there for me an album of the year contender. In a just world these guys would be filling arenas.

Yeah, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it. I've driven 7 hours to see them and it was worth every second.

I saw them with Leprous and Bent Knee on Halloween night in Toronto a couple of years ago, it was excellent.

Funny thing, too. The "VIP upgrade" people got to enter the venue a half hour or so ahead of the rest of the line, where they could meet and chat with the band for something like $75 more (I'm estimating). The usual stuff, kids getting their guitar signed, running to be the first to the merch table, etc. - then they let the rest of us in and the band were still hanging out chatting with people. I just walked right up to Charlie and struck up a conversation.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mylard View Post
    Yeah, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it. I've driven 7 hours to see them and it was worth every second.
    last year I attended their Vector gig... guys playing to "crowd" of maybe 100... weird

These last two albums have not excited me much but live they are very good band.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    These last two albums have not excited me much but live they are very good band.
    Yes, this one is less aggressive and more melodic than Vector but there's still too much epileptic riffage for my tastes.

Okay guys, I just ordered this new one. It had better be good!

Actually I have their Affinity album and like it quite a bit, as well as one of their live releases. The positive comments in this thread swayed me into picking the new one up.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Okay guys, I just ordered this new one. It had better be good!

Actually I have their Affinity album and like it quite a bit, as well as one of their live releases. The positive comments in this thread swayed me into picking the new one up.
    If you like their older stuff, I can't imagine that you won't like this one.

^ I have a feeling I'll like it too, I was just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yes, this one is less aggressive and more melodic than Vector but there's still too much epileptic riffage for my tastes.
    I actually felt the opposite upon first listen to Virus, which is a little too metal for me. But then, I haven't listened to Vector in a while. Virus definitely showcases Ray's drumming. Seems light on the keyboards which is a bummer. I really love this band, so I'll be giving it another shot, but right now, it's not on my list of albums to purchase.

Much like the monochrome album covers, the last two Haken releases have sounded equally monochrome. I like the Technicolor of their earlier albums.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Much like the monochrome album covers, the last two Haken releases have sounded equally monochrome. I like the Technicolor of their earlier albums.
    ...yes, def less "hakenisms" on this one...

I actually happened to listen to Virus and the Restoration EP back to back.
    What struck me is that Haken now sound so clinical and precise it seems the guitars and drums are played by machines. On Restoration, the insane technical skills are there but they still sound like humans.
    If that makes any sense...
    By pushing the limits of technique, their music seems to have lost its soul, just like Dream Theater at some point in the early 00s.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    ...yes, def less "hakenisms" on this one...
    If "hakenisms" include those Klezmer:ish breaks and Jennings flat voice, Virus is quite an improvement IMHO

What struck me is that Haken now sound so clinical and precise it seems the guitars and drums are played by machines. On Restoration, the insane technical skills are there but they still sound like humans.
    That's an unfortunate trend which show less of the musicianship and more the editing skills It's the same phenomenon across most genres. However, if I confront younger musicians and producers about it they don't see any problem... They happily edit out anything too human, put gates on all track to emphasis the exactness and add some distortion on the master to make the music sound "warmer"

But yes, Haken is a great live act!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I actually happened to listen to Virus and the Restoration EP back to back.
    If that makes any sense...
    By pushing the limits of technique, their music seems to have lost its soul, just like Dream Theater at some point in the early 00s.
    I agree with this.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/