Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joan Armatrading

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    ↑And the sequel—Codename: Wildgeese—had a soundtrack by Eloy.
    Codename: Wild Geese has more in common with the likes of Orca, Tentacles, Piranha, Up From The Depths, and L'Ultimo Squalo (a movie so derivative that Universal sued the US distributors to get it pulled from Stateside movie theater). In other words, it's not so much a sequel as it a cheap knock off (though Orca hardly be called "cheap", it had well known actors in it, and Ennio Morricone did the music).

As for the soundtrack, I have it, as I recall, it's not bad, but it's not all that great either. If I remember correctly, though they're billed as Eloy, and they even used the Eloy logo on the cover of the soundtrack album, Frank Borneman had nothing to do with it, so it's basically "not really Eloy".

Quote Originally Posted by Burble View Post
    I remember when the LP with Love and Affection came out, there was actually a promotional film trailer of the song that they played at the "art" movie houses (a really great clip - I haven't been able to find it posted anywhere). What a great song - great writing with a really super-deep groove. I was in high-school, out with four other friends to see some goofy art-house movie the first time I saw it, and the next day all four of us went out and bought that album.

Her career is interesting - she did a couple albums with Steve Lillywhite at the beginning of the '80s, and even though the tone of the albums was very different, it was still a very Joan thing going on. A lot of people on this board are probably familiar with the tune Call Me Names simply because Levin and Belew were on the track. Adrian's out-solo on the tune is such an awesome cool bunch of noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhSq0w92TXQ

I remember when Tracy Chapman came out in the late '80s, she got a lot of comparisons to Armatrading, and not understanding the real situation was quoted as saying, "I don't know who this Joan Armatrading is, but if she sounds so much like me, why doesn't she get a different thing?"
    Get a different thing - HA. Yeah, Joan has her own fine fine thing going. Since before Tracy was even born. That’s hilarious.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Get a different thing - HA. Yeah, Joan has her own fine fine thing going. Since before Tracy was even born. That’s hilarious.
    I'm not sure, but I think Joan Armatrading has done more different things than Tracy Chapman.
    I own 12 CD's by Joan Armatrading, including one collection, one album on vinyl and some more albums on cassette, I would like to have on CD. I wish someone would make all her albums available on CD again.
    I only have one album by Tracy Chapman.

My first ever live gig was Supertramp at Liverpool Empire, UK in 1975...and Joan Armatrading was the support.

She was completely unknown back then, and she was backed by a band called The Movies. I enjoyed her and she went down very well.

I recall that she played a song called Back To The Night, that went down so well she was called back to play it again for an encore, a very rare thing for a support act to do.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    My first ever live gig was Supertramp at Liverpool Empire, UK in 1975...and Joan Armatrading was the support.

She was completely unknown back then, and she was backed by a band called The Movies. I enjoyed her and she went down very well.

I recall that she played a song called Back To The Night, that went down so well she was called back to play it again for an encore, a very rare thing for a support act to do.
    Went on to make several great albums - such as Double A and Bullets Through The Barrier. Any other fans?

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Went on to make several great albums - such as Double A and Bullets Through The Barrier. Any other fans?
    I think India was their best album, when they jettisoned their old, funky style and re-emerged as a power-pop band. Second-best was the underrated follow-up, Motor Motor Motor. They were formed from the ashes of two Cambridge bands: Public Foot the Roman (who released one, prog-adjacent album for Sovereign in 1974) and Thunderbox (who don’t seem to have released anything).

Don’t confuse them with the Wisconsin/New York based band who recorded one album and one single* for Arista.

*The non-album single A-side was the theme song to the original Fun With Dick and Jane with George Segal and Jane Fonda.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I like it!

I think India was their best album, when they jettisoned their old, funky style and re-emerged as a power-pop band. Second-best was the underrated follow-up, Motor Motor Motor. They were formed from the ashes of two Cambridge bands: Public Foot the Roman (who released one, prog-adjacent album for Sovereign in 1974) and Thunderbox (who don’t seem to have released anything).

Don’t confuse them with the Wisconsin/New York based band who recorded one album and one single* for Arista.

*The non-album single A-side was the theme song to the original Fun With Dick and Jane with George Segal and Jane Fonda.

Interesting. I never heard anything of them after that.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

My favourite album is the live-LP Steppin' Out from 1979, which was once released on CD: https://www.discogs.com/Joan-Armatra...elease/8416793
    There are certainly progressive moments on this recording. I bought a couple of albums she released after that and one with Mick Karn on bass, but for me those didn't have the energy of the live-performance.

Joan has a new album coming out - her 22nd - called Consequences!

Tracklist
    1. Natural Rhythm
    2. Already There
    3. To Be Loved
    4. Better Life
    5. Glorious Madness
    6. Like
    7. Consequences
    8. Sunrise (Instrumental)
    9. Think About Me
    10. To Anyone Who Will Listen

EDIT: Two singles. I only just found out about the rare non-LP single “Hello, Hello Young Lovers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Joan has a new album coming out - her 22nd - called Consequences!
    Great to hear that she’s still going strong!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Thanks for posting. Her voice still sounds strong to me. I’ll have to check out the album when it’s released.