Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vinyl Thread

The Vinyl Thread

I'm back in black!

Broke out my boxes of 70s/80s records, bought a decent budget stereo and starting to collect again.

I purchased a new copy of the Kevin Grey remaster of Yes ~ Fragile and was stunned at how good it sounds.

Any recs on reissues that sound this good? Any genre or decade.

Also, how about a discussion of great sounding recordings in general, and your favorite stereo equipment .

Vinyl only please ...I forgot how immersive and intimate spinning these platters can be.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I’m there too, I recently bought a new turntable and pulled out the old vinyl again, am totally loving spinning these discs, love the ritual, tactile nature, sleeve art, reading lyrics again.

I have bought a bunch of things recently, all over the map really, like my collection. I bought the 180g versions of Close To The Edge and Topographic, because my old versions were very much worn down in the grooves from some distinctly dodgy equipment from my teenage days, they sound terrific to me. I also found a triple box set of the Montreux gig, which I also really enjoy.

I love browsing vinyl racks, it just takes me back to my wasted youth!

Most of the vinyl I bought in the late 70s, early 80s as a teen and young adult still sound pristine. I only played them once or twice to record them to cassette. Then I'd listen to the cassette at home, in my car, then later onboard the ship while serving in the Navy.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I got one of these - https://uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables

I really like it, my old Technics SLD2 needed too much work to get up and running.

I spun my 1979 copy of Bruford - One of a Kind , and the sound was so good it blew my head off!

Any of the ECM labels recordings, Pat Metheny, John Ambercrombie, Ralph Towner, are all terrific recordings. Still finding these in the shops for reasonable prices.

Moving up the spending chain ($25 or so), Porcupine Tree remaster of In Absentia, Pink Floyds remaster of Meddle, The Genesis remaster of Selling England are amongst the better recordings, and I'm buying half speed masters just finding certain ones like those to be in the top tier. Have to mention the half speed remaster of Alan Parsons I Robot is flabberghastingly good sounding.

Brothers in Arms another goodie that can be had for cheap.

Found having access to cheap vinyl really fueled my enthusiasum for vinyl, Baltimore has record shows and several LP stores. I started with a cheap B&O turntable and now have a VPI Prime with $900 cartridge since it sounds so right and I'm getting all this new music, average 3-5 bucks tho I'll spend up to $15 for the rarer stuff and $25 - $35 for remastered re-issues or half speed masters of my favorites.

Playing vinyl thru tubes also a good move imo, my thinking is a lot of this stuff was recorded back when both the studio and home playback used tubes so it's only natural it'll sound best with tubes in the mix. I have a tube preamp and warm sounding solid state amp (Conrad Johnson).

I haven't turned on my home CD player in years, ever since the turntable went on the shelf, I have a 2K+ MusicFidelity A5 player, not a POS by any measure.

Think about a record cleaner if you'll be buying used vinyl, I like my SpinClean for initial cleaning, about $80, and hit the LP with a DiscWasher prior to playing. For stylus cleaning, the Onzow ZeroDust is the snizzle: https://www.needledoctor.com/Onzow-Zerodust

Welcome back to the dark side.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I got one of these - https://uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables

I really like it, my old Technics SLD2 needed too much work to get up and running.

I spun my 1979 copy of Bruford - One of a Kind , and the sound was so good it blew my head off!
    Congrats Chris! I still haven't pulled the trigger but I will this summer.

What table did you get? Ortofon Red cartridge?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    Any of the ECM labels recordings, Pat Metheny, John Ambercrombie, Ralph Towner, are all terrific recordings. Still finding these in the shops for reasonable prices.

Moving up the spending chain ($25 or so), Porcupine Tree remaster of In Absentia, Pink Floyds remaster of Meddle, The Genesis remaster of Selling England are amongst the better recordings, and I'm buying half speed masters just finding certain ones like those to be in the top tier. Have to mention the half speed remaster of Alan Parsons I Robot is flabberghastingly good sounding.

Brothers in Arms another goodie that can be had for cheap.

Found having access to cheap vinyl really fueled my enthusiasum for vinyl, Baltimore has record shows and several LP stores. I started with a cheap B&O turntable and now have a VPI Prime with $900 cartridge since it sounds so right and I'm getting all this new music, average 3-5 bucks tho I'll spend up to $15 for the rarer stuff and $25 - $35 for remastered re-issues or half speed masters of my favorites.

Playing vinyl thru tubes also a good move imo, my thinking is a lot of this stuff was recorded back when both the studio and home playback used tubes so it's only natural it'll sound best with tubes in the mix. I have a tube preamp and warm sounding solid state amp (Conrad Johnson).

I haven't turned on my home CD player in years, ever since the turntable went on the shelf, I have a 2K+ MusicFidelity A5 player, not a POS by any measure.

Think about a record cleaner if you'll be buying used vinyl, I like my SpinClean for initial cleaning, about $80, and hit the LP with a DiscWasher prior to playing. For stylus cleaning, the Onzow ZeroDust is the snizzle: https://www.needledoctor.com/Onzow-Zerodust

Welcome back to the dark side.
    Thx for the great post !

I have a small stockpile of ECM vinyl that all sound marvelous, although I'm on the lookout for some Eberhard Weber.

I see myself upgrading my stereo at some point, this stuff sounds so good!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Congrats Chris! I still haven't pulled the trigger but I will this summer.

What table did you get? Ortofon Red cartridge?
    Thx Frankie!

I got the basic turntable with the acrylic platter.

so far, so good!

You guys are going to give Carlberg a heart attack!

I'm back in black!

Broke out my boxes of 70s/80s records, bought a decent budget stereo and starting to collect again.

I purchased a new copy of the Kevin Grey remaster of Yes ~ Fragile and was stunned at how good it sounds.

Any recs on reissues that sound this good? Any genre or decade.
    The Zappa reissues are great - and among the only reissues being made using analog masters. The vast majority of LP reissues are now digitally sourced. If there's less compression than the CD then they can be worth buying, but still it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nah. I'm having fun reading this thread:
    • with considerable interest,
    • a few chuckles:
      • "how about a discussion of great sounding recordings in general....Vinyl only please!"
      • "Playing vinyl thru tubes also a good move imo, a lot of this stuff was recorded back when both the studio and home playback used tubes so it's only natural it'll sound best with tubes in the mix"
      • "I love browsing vinyl racks, it takes me back to my wasted youth! "
    • and not a small amount of sincere bafflement.

Hey, it's all good. The heart wants what the heart wants. I didn't vote for Trump, so I accept that MY reality isn't shared by everybody.
    Yup, whatever floats their boat

I just wish that their attitude wasn't sinking other boats.

Pretty soon, those guys will be back in cassettes and 8-tracks.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, whatever floats their boat

I just wish that their attitude wasn't sinking other boats
    Reads to me like you and Mr grumpy pants are the only ones with the attitude .

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Zappa reissues are great - and among the only reissues being made using analog masters. The vast majority of LP reissues are now digitally sourced. If there's less compression than the CD then they can be worth buying, but still it is what it is.
    I would only buy reissues mastered from master tapes. Otherwise it defeats the whole purpose.
    You have to read before buying

I would only buy reissues mastered from master tapes. Otherwise it defeats the whole purpose.
    A huge majority of all reissues (and probably the same or more of new releases as well) released on vinyl are sourced from high resolution digital files.

Your collection is going to be very small.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I only played them once or twice to record them to cassette. Then I'd listen to the cassette at home, in my car, then later onboard the ship while serving in the Navy.
    Yep, I did the same, except for the Navy part.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Unless you buy originals.

A huge majority of all reissues (and probably the same or more of new releases as well) released on vinyl are sourced from high resolution digital files.

This is exactly why I started this thread- for the good info

Even when it says "from the original tapes", it is most often a NEW high resolution transfer from the original master tapes, which is what is used to make the cut.

Even the latest Pink Floyd, which say they are from master tapes, they are from master tapes, but there's a step in between. The step in between is high resolution files.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Just buy what you want. It'll all sound just fine!!!
    The Prog Corner

Even when it says "from the original tapes", it is most often a NEW high resolution transfer from the original master tapes, which is what is used to make the cut.
    Those 60s/70s and 80s tape masters are deteriorating .
    From what I’ve read, the recent Beatles records were an all analog process

Those 60s/70s and 80s tape masters are deteriorating .
    From what I’ve read, the recent Beatles records were an all analog process
    Not from what I have read/heard, but I am not an expert.

Anyway, after a while, you run out of Beatles albums....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Anyway, after a while, you run out of Beatles albums....
    I have more than 100 on vinyl alone. I still haven't run out.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    This has been my approach, for the most part, and I've only been disappointed a few times.

I wish there was a definitive source of accurate information about the source and quality of all these reissues. I get frustrated trying to research them and give up. I guess I realize most of the new vinyl I'm buying is from digital sources, but I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Um, for me, I don’t think so

Reads to me like you and Mr grumpy pants are the only ones with the attitude .
    Nope, but I see many vinyl addicts rejoicing more over the sale decline of the CD than over the progression of vinyl sales

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vin...ver-1500721202

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Unless you buy originals.
    Most originals are probably worn to death, though.

Even the latest Pink Floyd, which say they are from master tapes, they are from master tapes, but there's a step in between. The step in between is high resolution files.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...e-copy.133328/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.