Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Is it true that when this album was first released in Canada, the title was changed to Eh?

Loving this A set. Another 5 star package. Can’t wait for Broadsword. The sound improvement is what I’m looking forward to the most

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is it true that when this album was first released in Canada, the title was changed to Eh?
    Yes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah but it was originally called Frozenlung first.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Loving this A set. Another 5 star package. Can’t wait for Broadsword. The sound improvement is what I’m looking forward to the most
    I'm looking forward to Broadsword next year. I love the songs and if they get rid of the reverb and improve the drum sound, hopefully it will be a great listening experience.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    MTV used to show the "Aqualung" sequence from Slipstream a lot as one of their "Closet Classics"...or you might be thinking of the Rock Influences special on progressive rock that was hosted by Ian Anderson and included a bunch of clips from the Under Wraps tour.
    It's possible that the clips from the A tour I remember were from the Rock Influences show, because I watched that several times (it's still on VHS somewhere in my attic!). But I suspect what rickm says is true - that a full show is on YT, and I might have seen that pro recording as well. Maybe not a full show, but a lot of one.

Listened to the whole "A la Mode" over the weekend. Very impressive and so pleased to see one of my top 3 favorite Tull albums get the royal treatment, my other two are Thick as a Brick and the forthcoming Broadsword & the Beast or the "Rest" like Ian says alluding to the enormous amount of retakes and leftovers from those sessions. But that is something we will be talking about in a year when it comes out, fingers crossed.

This "A" Box set is fantastic, the audio quality is perhaps the best of the Steven Wilson reissue box set series and it could be that Eddie Jobson was involved originally in the recordings and he may have contributed being the perfectionist that he is.
    The LA Sports arena concert is excellent, I have always loved Ian's introductions and the rhythm section balance is one of the best I've heard on a live Tull recording. The Slipstream video is far less grainy than the two originals in the crappy VHS and the added standard definition DVD in the expanded dual set.

Hopefully, besides all the extra audio material culled from the Broadsword sessions, there is a fighting chance that a live DVD may also come out of that era. I've seen some B quality video in YouTube but there may be something hidden in the vaults but again that's wishful thinking. Can't wait to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Broadsword in 2022 with a deluxe box with the same quality delivered with "A la mode" :-)

That performance at the beginning of the "Rock Influences" show is the precise moment in time when Anderson's voice is beginning to go South.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^^

There is RockPop in concert from Dortmund from the Broadsword tour. it was part of an indoor festival so not a full concert. It's also already out there on DVD.

There was a full concert aired by Italian TV (RAI) most of it is on YT but in rather low quality. That one would be nice.

That is a much better title!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    That performance at the beginning of the "Rock Influences" show is the precise moment in time when Anderson's voice is beginning to go South.
    I saw them the very next night, and have no recollection of noticing vocal issues. It'd be interesting to get my hands on a recording of that, but the only one I've been able to find is a post from 2010 linking to a now-nonexistent site.

Featuring the hit singles "Poutine and Survive" and "The Tim Horton's Jig."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "Working Claude, Working Gord"

WOW. Echoing sentiments posted here. What an improvement! This has to be one of the most significant remixes in the series.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I'm looking forward to Broadsword next year. I love the songs and if they get rid of the reverb and improve the drum sound, hopefully it will be a great listening experience.
    Yeah I think most of the bonus tracks need that and a couple of album tracks. Drums sound a bit sloppy lol. Jackalynn drums suck hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

There is RockPop in concert from Dortmund from the Broadsword tour. it was part of an indoor festival so not a full concert. It's also already out there on DVD.

There was a full concert aired by Italian TV (RAI) most of it is on YT but in rather low quality. That one would be nice.
    Do either of these have the Viking ship stage or was that only for the US tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Do either of these have the Viking ship stage or was that only for the US tour?
    Dortmund hasn't because it was a festival. I haven't seen the Italian one for a long time but I don't remember it to have been there.

Here's an interview just conducted yesterday. Ian talks about Broadsword and the possibility of replacing the drums in Under Wraps, if and when the time comes.

https://vimeo.com/542461605
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think that A is the point where I get off for the box sets. I wish I had SFTW and Minstrel but that ship has sailed. A friend let me rip those to my PC so I at least have those in my office. Broadsword and the rest don't appeal to me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Here's an interview just conducted yesterday. Ian talks about Broadsword and the possibility of replacing the drums in Under Wraps, if and when the time comes.

https://vimeo.com/542461605
    Man, the interviewer seemed really stuck on how “different” A was when it was released, even after Ian explains that it was intended to be his first solo album. Honestly, if the shock hasn’t worn off in 41 years....

It is mostly great material.

Was waiting for Ian to bristle after the interviewer suggested that the album wasn't as successful as previous ones, he didn't disappoint.

Atta boy, Marco!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, really? Around here, you couldn't escape songs like Black Cars or Wild Horses when they were hits. But that might have just been because of our Canadian content rules.
    Not just Can-Con. Those were hits Stateside also. I remember MTV playing the Black Cars video at least a few times, Wild Horses seemed to get a lot of traction on VH-1.

But the first time I heard of him was when Living Inside Myself was used in one of those various records they used to sell on TV, I think it was a K-Tel thing or something. They used just a very small snippet of the song, but that was where I first heard of him.

Funny thing, i remember when Milli Vanilli's first record came out, and there was some blurb in Rolling Stone pointing out that "neither of them are related to Gino Vannelli".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    i remember when Milli Vanilli's first record came out, and there was some blurb in Rolling Stone pointing out that "neither of them are related to Gino Vannelli".
    Or Milli Filmore.

Just thought I'd mention, today, I listened to all the studio albums from Warchild up through Crest Of A Knave.