Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any questions for Nick D'Virgillio?

Any questions for Nick D'Virgillio?

I'll be interviewing him in a couple weeks.

Any questions about any of groups and artists he's worked with? Spock's, Kevin Gilbert, Big Big Train, Genesis, Mike Keneally, etc??

Or other questions??
    Last edited by Sean; 05-27-2020 at 09:48 PM.

I'm sure he's already been asked, but how was it working with Cirque? Any particularly memorable shows?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Ask him about recording Dog with Mike Keneally. Some very challenging music on that album.

Yes. My question is this. Why are you so awesome? Haha. Cool Sean! I'll tune in for that one!

PS. I'm doing a new session with him now for In Continuum. Both Nick and Marco.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Any chance of Rewiring Genesis: A Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway being reissued on CD? Or is it available as a download? Also, perhaps he could explain a little bit how he came to record that album, what was the reception, did he ever hear feedback from the members of Genesis (or from Squids)? Squids was probably on it, or at least hanging around.

So I was at the shaming tribute and I brought my award winning shaming book and I saw Nick in the lobby and omg I walked up to him and gushed and he omg signed my book " To Steve" And........do you remember that? Ask him.

I keep it next to my KG autographed giraffe.

Proud of yourself?

That's it. That's the question.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Omg dude. It was a joke . It was true. Remember SNL Chris Farley interviews.
    Btw I've enjoyed you posts thru the years.May be i have the nerve to post again some year.

Any thoughts on his reinvolvement with Spock's Beard's Noise Floor? Was it just work-for-hire or was there any thought of rejoining the band?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any chance of Rewiring Genesis: A Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway being reissued on CD? Or is it available as a download? Also, perhaps he could explain a little bit how he came to record that album, what was the reception, did he ever hear feedback from the members of Genesis (or from Squids)? Squids was probably on it, or at least hanging around.
    I'm not on that one and they didn't use traditional electronic keys for it. That's why I'm doing another version based on those sessions with additional guests and Francis Dunnery singing. However, that's separate. Your question about feedback from any members of Genesis on his Rewiring Genesis album is a good question with a great answer from NDV.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I'm not on that one and they didn't use traditional electronic keys for it. That's why I'm doing another version based on those sessions with additional guests and Francis Dunnery singing. However, that's separate. Your question about feedback from any members of Genesis on his Rewiring Genesis album is a good question with a great answer from NDV.
    I saw Francis doing a free luchtime concert at Canary Wharf in London many years ago and he did 'Dancing with the moonlit knight'.

Does he have any regrets leaving Spock's Beard?
    Also, just want to let him know his demonstrations on Sweetwater for various gear are always informative and fun to watch.

He can count on this fan to purchase his new cd.

Sean, just my personal opinion, I think an hour plus is too long for an interview, at least from my perspective..perhaps a half hour would be long enough.
    I just don't have the time or patience to sit for that long, but that's just me.
    Perhaps a review of your stats for the video and the average time that people listened will help.
    I know when I used to post my music to YT, those stats as painful as they were at time, did give an indication of how long people listened or if there was a section of music that people didn't connect with or was too long.

Other than the length, I think you did a great job, and it was great seeing you in person.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 05-28-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I would be interested to hear his thoughts on working with Kevin Gilbert specifically as a bassist, in terms of time, pocket, and sound, live and in the studio.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Is Big Big Train going to reschedule their cancelled tour with IZZ?

I'd like to hear something about his writing input into Big Big Train. What initiates bringing something like "Pantheon" to the band? Do the two main writers encourage the other members to come in with their own stuff, or or was it something Nick had just written independently and thought the band might like it? Can we expect more input from him in the future?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Cool! I figured since the Genesis guys have been accessible to people like you, and they’ve helped aThe Musical Box, there’s great something there.

Dave, more versions of the Lamb are always welcome.

How about a few questions about his other gig...working with Sweetwater. That type of option for musicians that can communicate is one that more musicians should be aware of. Nick shows how it should be done.

He is amazingly good at demoing products. He understands how to get the best sound out of gear, his ridiculous technique makes most anything sound good.

So maybe:
    >how did he land the gig?
    >how does it fit in with his artistic projects?
    >what are the benefits of doing this sort of thing (besides the paycheck)?

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: Top Cat also mentioned this above! Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    How about a few questions about his other gig...working with Sweetwater. That type of option for musicians that can communicate is one that more musicians should be aware of. Nick shows how it should be done.

He is amazingly good at demoing products. He understands how to get the best sound out of gear, his ridiculous technique makes most anything sound good.

So maybe:
    >how did he land the gig?
    >how does it fit in with his artistic projects?
    >what are the benefits of doing this sort of thing (besides the paycheck)?

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: Top Cat also mentioned this above! Cool...
    Great minds think alike..lol great you expounded on the thought.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Questions with some possibly interesting trivia thrown in.

======

On November 3, 1995, Kevin Gilbert delivered his final public performance. He opened the show; Linda Perry was the headliner. Nick accompanied Kevin during the entire set. The two-man band, as it was dubbed. They traded instruments throughout. Linda Perry stood alongside the bar and jovially heckled Kevin, at times.

After Kevin's set, Kevin performed (keyboards) along with most of the Tuesday Music Club, as they were the musicians accompanying Linda on stage for this very rare event. Nick and his wife, Tiffany, watched their show from a table a few short feet from the stage.

Questions:
    Is there anything that stands out that you recall from that night?
    Thoughts on... performing with Kevin as the two-man band?
    Thoughts on... the Linda Perry set or her songs?
    Thoughts on... seeing TMC performing with her?

======

In Andrew Gorczyca's 2008 album, Reflections - An Act Of Glass, you incorporated an intense squad of lead vocal gymnastics in "The Tall Tale Heart" that had not been heard on record (CD/Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track) from you at the time, and possibly to date.

Question:
    How challenging was that song vocally?
    Did Andrew's demo have any guide vocals that you followed?
    What have been some other challenging songs that you have encountered either with Spock's Beard or in your solo career?

======

Bonus Question:
    Yeahhhh, Huhhhh?

Wondering if he'd share his thoughts on these guys and their work...
    Jeff Porcaro, Vinnie Colaiuta and Virgil Donati (given that I think he is up there with them - although Virgil might be on another planet..)

He may be interested in hearing that we played his version of Come What May at my wedding while we were signing our lives away!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any chance of Rewiring Genesis: A Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway being reissued on CD? Or is it available as a download?
    I uploaded some footage from soundcheck so Sean could get an idea about this for his interview:

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Is Big Big Train going to reschedule their cancelled tour with IZZ?
    I think IZZ was only opening some of their shows (including the one that I had tickets to). I remember seeing that Robert Berry/3.2 was opening others.

Here's one from 2002's Shaming of the True rehearsals

Question: Will the unreleased Spock's Beard track "Wine" from the Octane sessions ever get released? How about your original demo of A Guy Named Sid that had a different arrangement near the ending?

One last never-before-seen nugget for your research, Sean...