Thread: Feedback please

Feedback please

https://soundcloud.com/stealinginward

Hi, was hoping to get a little feedback on a modern prog rock project still in the infant stages. Have a rough demo, of a track called Speak, which is the shortest and probably most accessible/straightforward of the tracks I've been writing for this project. Right now it's just me playing everything except drums. I'd like to find a talented singer and expand into an actual band at some point. I would really appreciate if you would take the time to take a listen and offer some feedback! Thank you.

Nice track. Bravo! Here's my honest, untutored feedback. The guitar comes in before the vocal, briefly. I think I'd reserve it for the break, as it detracts from the vocal. In fact, you could alternate vocal choruses with guitar choruses. Then when the lead comes in at 3:00 it would be a really powerful shift in tone.

That's a KILLER bassline, by the way.

I agree with rcarlberg, nice trace! the bass and drum really drive the song nicely.
    You've got your own style and I like that..keep up the good work and keep us updated on what you're doing!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

In fact, I like the lead solo so much I wish it went on another couple of bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    In fact, I like the lead solo so much I wish it went on another couple of bars.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to listen. I appreciate the kind words. I debated having the guitar solo continue into the time change until the vocals pick up again.

Try it, see if it works?

I get a little bit of a PorcTree vibe from it, shares that hollow kind of haunting atmosphere. But it's a solid damn song in its own right. Tight, no filler. I like the sinister quality to the keys leading into the solo.

I'd punch the dynamic of the vocal when you hit the word "speak" at the end. But that's just me.

Banned
    Nice track! Very atmospheric, nice use of keyboard sounds and bass. I'd bring the guitar lead up in the mix and maybe extend it as RC suggested, I'd bring the vocals up as well esp. at the end and maybe put an edge on it (if you know what I mean). But it's all subjective, just IMO.

BTW, we have a Soundcloud share thread for this kind of thing: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ght=SoundCloud

Future endeavors should be posted there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Nice track! Very atmospheric, nice use of keyboard sounds and bass. I'd bring the guitar lead up in the mix and maybe extend it as RC suggested, I'd bring the vocals up as well esp. at the end and maybe put an edge on it (if you know what I mean). But it's all subjective, just IMO.

BTW, we have a Soundcloud share thread for this kind of thing: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ght=SoundCloud

Future endeavors should be posted there.
    Thanks for the friendly warning, I’ll be sure to do that!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealinginward View Post
    Thanks for the friendly warning, I’ll be sure to do that!
    No worries! Looking forward to hear how you develop things.

Just had a listen, very nice work. Reminds me a bit of Nerve Institute and a Canadian band called The Rebel Wheel. Atmospheric, especially in the vocal, but also plenty of rocking grooves and some pretty slick navigation of time signatures that gives the track a lot more depth and substance than a lot of ho-hum modern "Proggy" stuff. I agree, the guitar solo could be a extended a bit, but it's not a make or break issue. You have that little melody that comes in at the end of the solo before the vocals return, and that's cool too.

I can see why you'd want a full band and a singer, but honestly the way you handled the vocals here sounds great to me. If you can't find folks to work with, or a singer in particular, I'd encourage you to finish it yourself, it's definitely good enough; or will be with a bit more spit and polish.

Anyway, great work and welcome on board! Now I want to hear more, especially of the less "accessible/straightforward" stuff.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just had a listen, very nice work. Reminds me a bit of Nerve Institute and a Canadian band called The Rebel Wheel. Atmospheric, especially in the vocal, but also plenty of rocking grooves and some pretty slick navigation of time signatures that gives the track a lot more depth and substance than a lot of ho-hum modern "Proggy" stuff. I agree, the guitar solo could be a extended a bit, but it's not a make or break issue. You have that little melody that comes in at the end of the solo before the vocals return, and that's cool too.

I can see why you'd want a full band and a singer, but honestly the way you handled the vocals here sounds great to me. If you can't find folks to work with, or a singer in particular, I'd encourage you to finish it yourself, it's definitely good enough; or will be with a bit more spit and polish.

Anyway, great work and welcome on board! Now I want to hear more, especially of the less "accessible/straightforward" stuff.

Bill
    Thank you for the feedback! I had never heard of the nerve institute and I have been enjoying checking them(him, lol) out! I am working on refining this tune then back to the others! When I have more music in a relatively finished state I will definitely reach out to see what you think!

"Speak" has been reworked a bit and appears here:
    https://stealinginward.bandzoogle.com/home
    https://soundcloud.com/stealinginward

I think it's definitely improved, and definitely a very, very good song now. I'm anxious to hear more. Give it another lesson and let Stealing Inward know what you think!