Thread: No-Man: new album Love You To Bits

No-Man: new album Love You To Bits

Sometimes the best things happen when you least expect them.

I'd assumed Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness were now too busy to reactivate their No-Man collaboration, but here we are with a new album Love You To Bits released last week.

The new No-Man album boldly goes where No-Man hasn’t been before, and turns out to be one of the best things they’ve ever done.

I’ve put together a brief blog review which offers some thoughts on the music, possible influences, and why this album might be a major step change in Wilson’s approach to producing his music.

Hope you find it interesting.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-to-bits-2019/

Still trying to like it, the dancey beats don't help! I'm fearing that my long love of SW's music has come to a close.

I mentioned this over in the new Steven Wilson music thread, but I'll repeat it here: I love this album.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Sounds like a Daft Punk album with vocals.
    Chad

I have no problem with the dance beats and electronics. In fact I have always thought SW should add more of this in his music on the basis of tracks like The Incident (PT) or Song of I.
    What I do have a problem with is that this album seems to stretch very few ideas thin. My first impression is that of a strong lack of substance.

Reminds me of Voyage 34 with vocals and more electronics. Quite like the sudden appearance of a brass band at the end of side one.

I like the whole thing. Even better, when I play it in the car it annoys the kids.

Received a nice message from Tim last night, thanking me for my review and mentioning the 10cc connection I made:

"You're the fourth or fifth person who's made the I'm Not In Love observation. It wasn't intended, but it remains a favourite piece for me (and the first single I bought). 10cc's Kevin Godley sang on my solo album from earlier this year in honour of that. Clearly, it's in the DNA."

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I have no problem with the dance beats and electronics. In fact I have always thought SW should add more of this in his music on the basis of tracks like The Incident (PT) or Song of I.
    What I do have a problem with is that this album seems to stretch very few ideas thin. My first impression is that of a strong lack of substance.
    Yes, to me it sounds like one song that is being recycled over and over but with a different arrangement each time. If they'd do a remix without the beats and turn it into an ambient soundscape I think I might like it but no, I'm off the No Man bus for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

Yes, to me it sounds like one song that is being recycled over and over but with a different arrangement each time. If they'd do a remix without the beats and turn it into an ambient soundscape I think I might like it but no, I'm off the No Man bus for this one.
    Well I think the whole point of the album is to stretch "three minute disco single" to epic length (little bit like Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby"). Is that a good idea or is the implementation successful in this case? I can't say yet
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Meh.

Played this for the first time and my wife said "Is this Porcupine Tree?" I was astounded she'd made a connection.

For the record I like it, I liked "To The Bone" too, so shoot me.

There's some crossover in sensibilities. I think that's true of everything Wilson touches. Was listening to Heaven Taste (the song) on the way in this morning and thinking it could easily come off of an early PT album. Not far removed from Moonloop.

From what I heard this is also a return to the beginning: Lovesighs

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Days In The Trees is one of my FAVORITE songs

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Days In The Trees is one of my FAVORITE songs
    same here

I've had this on continuous rotation for quite a while now and I love it. This is easily my favourite No-Man release with 'beats' (previously Wild Opera held the slot) while Schoolyard Ghosts is my favourite 'quiet' album. Love You To Bits is also on my top 10 of the decade.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    From what I heard this is also a return to the beginning: Lovesighs
    Were it really all began: