Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to turn off Auto Save?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and have had no problems (knocking on wood, of course, )
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I recommend Malwarebytes
    I've used it. I had to uninstall it too, it just brought me down to my knees. It was such a hog. I tried the free Microsoft Anti-virus and it just hogged everything. I got rid of it. The only thing I do is make sure the firewall is turned on and I have something called Advanced System Care. I run it a few times a week. Of course it's the free version and they're constantly pestering me to upgrade (in other words, spend some $$$$$). Fuck 'em. I ain't spendin' shit .

Microsoft Essentials is a solid product
    I downloaded it anyway just in case. Not sure if it was the same free MSanti-virus I had but it's good to have just in case. I just installed a free av called "AVG." It's been recommended on PE before. I'll give that a try and see how the ol' pewter behaves.

Malwarebytes doesn't run constantly in the background, does it? It shouldn't bring your system to it's knees. Or at least not the way I run it - which is to start the scan and walk away.

But maybe there's another version of Malwarebytes that provides constant protection? If that's an option I've never bothered...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Malwarebytes doesn't run constantly in the background, does it? It shouldn't bring your system to it's knees. Or at least not the way I run it - which is to start the scan and walk away.

But maybe there's another version of Malwarebytes that provides constant protection? If that's an option I've never bothered...
    I believe the paid version has "constant protection". The free version works just as you described.

This is strange. I just got a new laptop and no matter what, I can't log in to PE. I'm using the right u: and p: but it won't let me in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This is strange. I just got a new laptop and no matter what, I can't log in to PE. I'm using the right u: and p: but it won't let me in.
    What does that mean? What's happening? What error message do you get?
    Regards,

Duncan

It just rejects my login and vBulletin gives me the fields to re-enter my information. And then it says it's the wrong information and give me the fields again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What is the new OS?
    Which browser & version do you have?
    Do you have scripting enabled?
    Do you have cookies enabled?
    Have you tried an alternate browser?
    Do you have your PE account configured to keep you logged in all the time?
    If yes to that last one, have you tried logging out on the old PC before trying on the new laptop?
    Do you have any security software installed?
    If yes, have you tried to disable it?
    Do you have Java installed? Enabled?

That's about all I can think of at this hour.

It just rejects my login and vBulletin gives me the fields to re-enter my information. And then it says it's the wrong information and give me the fields again.
    My suggestiona:

1). Delete your progressiveears.org cookie

2). I'll change your password. (Watch your PMs.)

3). try again...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I downloaded it anyway just in case. Not sure if it was the same free MSanti-virus I had but it's good to have just in case. I just installed a free av called "AVG." It's been recommended on PE before. I'll give that a try and see how the ol' pewter behaves.
    If you have Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG, you have two antivirus running at the same time. You should only use one at a time.

Have you tried turning caps lock off?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    If you have Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG, you have two antivirus running at the same time. You should only use one at a time.
    I downloaded MS Essentials but I didn't install it. I did install AVG though. I ran a full scan overnight. The thing I don't like about these programs is that they want to stay running all the time. They sink their clutches into yuor computer and slow everything down. So with some tweeking I make it so AVG only runs when I launch it, not during startup. It's true about Malwarebytes, it doesn't stay running all the time. But the problem I've had with it is that once it starts, at some point my computer gets hosed. It just freezes and then the only way to stop the damn thing is through the Task manager. So I decided to just uninstall it. Bottom line is, 512mb of RAM is ridiculous. I need to quit being so cheap and get some RAM.

Bottom line is, 512mb of RAM is ridiculous.
    Yeah, I think that could be the real culprit.

So with some tweeking I make it so AVG only runs when I launch it, not during startup. It's true about Malwarebytes, it doesn't stay running all the time.
    AV services are not intended to be run this way, and it is actually not a useful way to run them.

Virus/trojans/rootkits can install while the AV software is down, and through the wisdom of Microsoft can be completely prevented from cleaning up the system after the fact. MS protects certain files from access--even to its own services--as a way of protecting them against virus attacks; however, attackers have figured a way around this that neither MS nor AV authors have been able to implement.

As well, infections that occur while AV is down may permanently destroy critical files and personal information that cannot be cleaned by AV software.

Running real-time AV services permits the software to use heuristic detection methods on the fly to test all executable code before it commits any damage to the system. It's not perfect, but with Windows it's the only safe option.

Again, I'm no longer fond AVG. It has a far larger foot print than Avast, and the company have gone in some directions that have caused many users to drop them as an AV provider--myself included.

Okay, I'll try Avast.

I downloaded MS Essentials but I didn't install it. I did install AVG though. I ran a full scan overnight. The thing I don't like about these programs is that they want to stay running all the time. They sink their clutches into yuor computer and slow everything down. So with some tweeking I make it so AVG only runs when I launch it, not during startup. It's true about Malwarebytes, it doesn't stay running all the time. But the problem I've had with it is that once it starts, at some point my computer gets hosed. It just freezes and then the only way to stop the damn thing is through the Task manager. So I decided to just uninstall it. Bottom line is, 512mb of RAM is ridiculous. I need to quit being so cheap and get some RAM.
    Antivirus programs need to run at start up and continuously. Your computer is at risk otherwise.

OK, after Duncan reset my password I got into PE on the new laptop. It took a little playing but I've got Windows 8 beaten into submission. There's a program called Start8 that restores the old start menu that helped a lot. My 85 year old aunt wants a new PC and has already insisted that it have Windows 7.

Really don't feel like starting a thread just to ask a question/opinion so I'll just post it here.

Threads with lots of Youtube videos.

Does anyone else have this problem: You open a thread that is just post, after post of Youtube videos, and your browser (and computer) just gets hosed. It freezes up, or spazzes out and you have to use the task manager to kill the browser so you can start over again. Now, I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one this is happening to. I'm thinking it's because this ol' box I'm using only has 512mb of memory. That's problem it, but this was never a problem at Old PE. I'm sure it's mostly to do with low memory but I'm sure it probably also has to do with my browser or New PE.

Anyway, just curious. I've had to stop opening certain threads with a lot of YT vids.

Really don't feel like starting a thread just to ask a question/opinion so I'll just post it here.

Threads with lots of Youtube videos.

Does anyone else have this problem: You open a thread that is just post, after post of Youtube videos, and your browser (and computer) just gets hosed. It freezes up, or spazzes out and you have to use the task manager to kill the browser so you can start over again. Now, I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one this is happening to. I'm thinking it's because this ol' box I'm using only has 512mb of memory. That's problem it, but this was never a problem at Old PE. I'm sure it's mostly to do with low memory but I'm sure it probably also has to do with my browser or New PE.

Anyway, just curious. I've had to stop opening certain threads with a lot of YT vids.
    Eight year old PC with XP and no issues with pages full of YT videos. FWIW,, I have my PC maxed out with 4 GB of RAM.

Do yourself a favor and break the piggy bank for at least one GB of RAM for your PC. It will make a noticeable difference on the performance of your PC. One GB of RAM will cost you about $20.

OMG. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have lost just now a post I put a lot of effort into. I knew of the auto-save function but didn't know about the "Restore" button.

Whew! Thanks Duncan!!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yeah, that was a long post you created for me. I appreciate the effort you put into it!

BTW, do Christians have auto-save???

I just discovered something I hadn't realized before. The restore auto-save button is only visible after clicking on the "go advanced" button. Why isn't it visible under the quick reply window?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I just discovered something I hadn't realized before. The restore auto-save button is only visible after clicking on the "go advanced" button. Why isn't it visible under the quick reply window?
    I actually never even noticed that button!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually never even noticed that button!
    I stand corrected. It is there in the quick reply window. It wasn't yesterday, tho. IDK. Shit's been acting a little funky after I mistakenly deleted all my cookies in my browser.