Thread: Magic Pie - Fragments of the 5th Element (new album out 8/30)

Magic Pie - Fragments of the 5th Element (new album out 8/30)

Wow. No threads about this at all? I mean, I had to stumble onto it while Amazon-surfing.

The first two songs released sound excellent -- quintessentially Magic Pie with a generous dose of Gentle Giant quirkiness. Definitely sounds like another winner like "King for a Day."

Looking forward to the rest of it!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm also really shocked that this close to the release date nothing has been mentioned about this. I didn't know about it.

When people invite you into their homes, feed and lodge you, and show you wonderful Norwegian hospitality, when they make a new record, you buy it (albeit loving the music makes it easier).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm also really shocked that this close to the release date nothing has been mentioned about this. I didn't know about it.

When people invite you into their homes, feed and lodge you, and show you wonderful Norwegian hospitality, when they make a new record, you buy it (albeit loving the music makes it easier).
    Now that you have weighted in Geezer, I can rest easy and look forward to the release..
    The older I get, the better I was.

King For A Day was an unapologetic monster. Can't wait to hear the rest of the new album - especially the epic. Of course, the epic.

Rich Mouser has these guys sounding like world-beaters too.

Three cheers for Magic Pie!!!
    The Prog Corner

And I bought the full album and it's just as good. "The Hedonist" is a solid 20-minute epic. I'll warrant this album doesn't feel as meaty as "King for a Day" but I've enjoyed both listens I've had to the full album so far.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What happened to Magic Pie? I'd heard they'd broken up, but anyone know why? And what have the members gone on to? I'm just starting a Magic Pie binge, so listened to Motions of Desire (I've heard them all before), and am just wondering if some of the key members started new bands or joined existing ones. So much talent baked into that pie!

Actually, it looks like the band still exists, but with only one founding member.

wow, this thread quite jolted me as I scrolled down and saw a post from progeezer.
    Your spirit lives on here at PE.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Actually, it looks like the band still exists, but with only one founding member.
    rather confusing. i believe the wording on their website supports your comment ("Almost twenty years later, the band is still alive and kicking, but now only with its founder Stenberg - still in charge.")
    and, i think the site has been like that for a while

on the other hand, their facebook page has pics of them playing live about 2 weeks ago, and it appears that 5 of the 6 members from the last few albums are still in the band.

perhaps the message on their website is supposed to mean that Stenberg is the only original member still left???

Upcoming Concerts:

- 19.03.2022 Musikens Hus goes Progressive (Sweden)
    - 16.04.2022 Prognosis (NL)
    - 11.06.2022 Sweden Rock Festival

JG

"MARKLAR!"

Anyway, hoping for more good albums!