Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Not a bad bill!

They call it a "Royal Affair".

Sort of makes sense considering who is in each group. Plenty of overlap.

No idea what makes it "royal" but whatever....

Yes.jpg
    Last edited by Sean; 04-01-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Someone on YesFans posted about this the other day - along with the news that Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns n Roses, Sons of Apollo) will be the guitarist in Asia for this tour. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere else yet, but weird news if true.

This looks great, does anyone know when tour dates will be released?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Someone on YesFans posted about this the other day - along with the news that Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns n Roses, Sons of Apollo) will be the guitarist in Asia for this tour. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere else yet, but weird news if true.
    I'm also curious as to who would handle the vocals for Asia.
    That's a pretty big hole to fill and frankly some of the average Asia material was elevated by John Wetton's vocals.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Could be true, because Bumblefoot is doing the Carl Palmer Rock Camp this year.

Would be odd however that Steve Howe will not play in the Asia set. Then what is the point?

Howe hasn't played with them in a few years now. Bumblefoot seems grossly overqualified, but then again, so was Guthrie Govan. Sherwood sings for Asia now.

Yes.jpg
    And people thought the ARW artwork was bad.

Good to know the 'Royals" call the top dogs for marketing. They must have lost my phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Howe hasn't played with them in a few years now. Bumblefoot seems grossly overqualified, but then again, so was Guthrie Govan. Sherwood sings for Asia now.
    I like Billy Sherwood's solo material and his vocals on them(to me he has quite a quirky style) which I don't think suits Asia material as well as non BS music, but that's just me.
    I think that's one of the sets on the tour I'd take a long 45 min potty break. lol
    So, I guess we can assume Geoff and Carl will be playing sets both with Yes and Asia...and in a regular venue setting each band's set will be limited most likely to an hour or less. It's starting to sound less appealing to me the more I think about it. I really think they need to put the Asia thing permanently away.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The "Royal Affair" has a bit of a 1967 ring to it (Games For May, etc.) which is cool. And c'mon -- that artwork isn't half as bad as the ARW dreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I like Billy Sherwood's solo material and his vocals on them(to me he has quite a quirky style) which I don't think suits Asia material as well as non BS music, but that's just me.
    I think that's one of the sets on the tour I'd take a long 45 min potty break. lol
    So, I guess we can assume Geoff and Carl will be playing sets both with Yes and Asia...and in a regular venue setting each band's set will be limited most likely to an hour or less. It's starting to sound less appealing to me the more I think about it. I really think they need to put the Asia thing permanently away.
    The chances of Billy doing justice to Asia's vocals have gone up ever since he started using auto-tune on stage. I agree, though, that songs like "Heat of the Moment" are just not him. Still, it'll be nice to give Bumblefoot some exposure. I'm guessing Steve will come out for a guest appearance or three.

I feel for those who sit through John Lodge's set, though. Time has not done his pipes (which were never great to begin with) any favors.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I feel for those who sit through John Lodge's set, though. Time has not done his pipes (which were never great to begin with) any favors.
    He used to do the Moodies' falsettos, yes? So his pipes were pretty good at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    He used to do the Moodies' falsettos, yes? So his pipes were pretty good at that point.
    I agree, his falsetto was better than singing in his natural range. Which isn't exactly a compliment.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

April fools. Damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The chances of Billy doing justice to Asia's vocals have gone up ever since he started using auto-tune on stage. I agree, though, that songs like "Heat of the Moment" are just not him.
    Has Billy been formally announced as the singer? I had understood the tour with Journey was just a one-off. If Asia is serious about maintaining a presence on the touring circuit they really should get someone better. Billy's great as bass/b vox for Yes. But he's just not a lead singer. Anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    April fools. Damn it.
    Not April Fools.

Already a date on July 28th in Saratoga, California.

https://mountainwinery.com/calendar/

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yes.jpg
    And people thought the ARW artwork was bad.

Good to know the 'Royals" call the top dogs for marketing. They must have lost my phone number.
    To be fair, it's just a clusterfuck of logos.

To be sure, it still sucks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Not April Fools.

Oh, good! I googled Yes tour 2019 and found no info. Sorry.

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

Agree about Asia and especially Sherwood's vocals in place of Wetton. Just not the material for Billy's voice. John Payne's probably not busy...

Todd Rundgren played with Asia??

should be called the 'Sole Survivor' tour considering each act has only one long term member in it.

is Asia still active? how?

John Lodge is a good singer. I think it's cool that he's on the YES tour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Oh, good! I googled Yes tour 2019 and found no info. Sorry.
    FYI- I thought I read that dates are going to be announced today (April 2nd) at 10:00 AM EST.

I already posted a date in this thread...

This mid-size amphitheater at the Winery in Saratoga CA is a good fit. I saw the Topographic Drama tour there and was nice, only a couple of things: parking fee is not cheap and taking pictures is a pain in the butt but great acoustics.

It would be a fantastic birthday present for me alright!

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    Todd Rundgren played with Asia??
    No but it would actually be a cool idea for the tour. I thought Todd did a great job singing Cars tunes a decade ago. So I don't see why he couldn't tackle Heat of the Moment and Sole Survivor. And, besides, Asia could use a little of Todd's pop and soul influences.

Regarding Asia, as much as I like John Payne's time with Asia, I think most people (other than this forum) associate Asia with the John Wetton era and vocals, while JP's time with Asia was quite a bit different sounding, at least to me.
    I think John Wetton's vocals were so much an integral part of the Asia sound, trying to get anyone to fill that role is near impossible.
    But I thought that at first about Kansas and Ronnie Platt, and was thankfully proven wrong. I have really grown to like Ronnie's vocals and stage presence with Kansas.