Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Yeah, the Three Wood is different and that is why I love it so much. Try this: have a dram of Mac 12 or something, then the Three wood...the peat will show up big! Great whisky.

I haven't dabbled with Laphroaig for a long, long, time. As I've grown older, my tastes have shifted east, from the islands, towards the Spey. (There is, btw, a wonderful annual jazz & folk festival hosted on Islay, & I believe that the Laphroaig distillery is one of the signature venues.)

Anyway - the prospect of the whisky being aged in Fino casks is intriguing. A good Fino, nicely chilled, is a superb thing - served, peghaps, with some salted roasted almonds, some Gordal olives, & some queso manchego...

I like PY's note of dried fruit sweetness - I can imagine how this might work... My concern would be that these fine notes might be overwhelmed by the pest.

Had 2 Oban Little Bay drams at a pretty fancy upscale country restaurant/ inn last night. Was really good, I was pretty buzzed up heavily before those so it added insult to injury. Fun though!

It's probably somewhere in this thread, but needles to haystacks being what they are, can anyone tell me about The Glenlivet Nadurra? They had it at the liquor store yesterday. I ended up buying the Lagavulin 16.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's probably somewhere in this thread, but needles to haystacks being what they are, can anyone tell me about The Glenlivet Nadurra? They had it at the liquor store yesterday. I ended up buying the Lagavulin 16.
    There are actually 3 current "Nadurra" expressions. They used to have them aged as 16 years, but you can't find those anymore. These are non-age statement (who knows what range that means). The major qualities of the Nadurra process is that they are: non-chill filtered, cask strength, and use first fill barrels. There is:

- White Oak (matured in virgin white oak casks)
    - Oloroso Sherry (first fill sherry)
    - Peated Whisky (first fill bourbon, then finished in peated casks)

I have had the original 16 year and the White Oak. Both are very solid, creamy, vanilla sweet, hints of fruity spices. I have not had the other two. I've heard the sherry is good, but less impressive than other cask strength "sherry bombs". Apparently the new peated finish is getting decent reviews. I'd be curious to know how introducing peat at this stage differs from it being "baked in".
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^ Thanks, Sean. That gives me something to go on.

Went to a scotch whisky tasting at the local liquor store yesterday. Of the many brands and iterations they had, I found you can't go wrong with any Macallan. They had one called Fine Oak, triple cask (European and American bourbon and sherry cask aged), 15 year old that was so good; mellow, no bite, about $100/750 ml. Hope Santa hears.

Of the several I tried, Laphroaig Lore wasn't as peaty as the regular 10 year. But at $120 a fifth, I'll stick with the 10 year at about a third the price and suffer through the intense peat.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I had a single edition of Glenmorangie named that (green cardboard box) with no age statement and I thought it was disappointing... As Morangie is one of my top three distillers, it was probably the only disappointment I had with them... Last year's Baccalta is phenomenal, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Went to a scotch whisky tasting at the local liquor store yesterday. Of the many brands and iterations they had, I found you can't go wrong with any Macallan. They had one called Fine Oak, triple cask (European and American bourbon and sherry cask aged), 15 year old that was so good; mellow, no bite, about $100/750 ml. Hope Santa hears.

Of the several I tried, Laphroaig Lore wasn't as peaty as the regular 10 year. But at $120 a fifth, I'll stick with the 10 year at about a third the price and suffer through the intense peat.
    TBH, I don't think Macalan stands up to its heritage (it used to be my fave in the 80's & 90's)... Not sure it's even the shadow of its former self, as their newer Gold and Amber expressions are relatively weak (ok entry-level)

has anyone trie the Damwhinnie Winter Gold expression yet??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Does anyone find the Glenmorangie 10 a tad sweet? I also sense a coconut residue flavor.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Does anyone find the Glenmorangie 10 a tad sweet? I also sense a coconut residue flavor.
    You say this as if it's a bad thing!!! - I think this characteristic is common amongst Speysides - it's there in the Glenlivet, for instance, although there it has more of a vanilla quality, for me at any rate. Another way it manifests is as toasted/caramelised brown sugar. I think that this will be, especially in this latter case, an effect of the barrels in which the whiskies are aged. But I remain convinced that it must also have something to do with the locale...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    You say this as if it's a bad thing!!! - I think this characteristic is common amongst Speysides - it's there in the Glenlivet, for instance, although there it has more of a vanilla quality, for me at any rate. Another way it manifests is as toasted/caramelised brown sugar. I think that this will be, especially in this latter case, an effect of the barrels in which the whiskies are aged. But I remain convinced that it must also have something to do with the locale...
    I think I will try the Glenlivet next. Always loved vanilla. No, I don't get the caramelized brown sugar essence.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun
    It is aged for 10 years inside living coconuts. Lucky be the man who finds one of those coconuts.

Seriously, most liquors taste sweet to me, at least a little. Except Islay Malt and Mezcal. Those two elixirs taste smoky.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    It is aged for 10 years inside living coconuts. Lucky be the man who finds one of those coconuts.

Seriously, most liquors taste sweet to me, at least a little. Except Islay Malt and Mezcal. Those two elixirs taste smoky.
    Thanks Spellbound. The holidays are just another excuse to give these a try.

Haven't tasted the basic 10Y in years (though Morangie is my fave distiller), but I'm surprised you'd taste coconut, as I loathe coconut

FTM, I have no recollection of having ever thought of coconut when drinking Scotch single malts (or any kind of whisk(e)y.
    Last edited by Trane; 12-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Haven't tasted the basic 10Y in years (though Morangie is my fave distiller), but I'm surprised you'd taste coconut, as I loathe coconut

FTM, I have no recollection of having ever thought of coconut when drinking Scotch single malts (or any kind of whisk(e)y.
    I agree, it sounds odd to me as well but it has been unmistakable. Of course it's a mixture of flavors but at times it's there. Per Anporth states he gets a toasted/caramel brown sugar sense of which I do not. Might all of this be because what a person has recently eaten?

I agree, it sounds odd to me as well but it has been unmistakable. Of course it's a mixture of flavors but at times it's there. Per Anporth states he gets a toasted/caramel brown sugar sense of which I do not. Might all of this be because what a person has recently eaten?
    caramel and/or toffee I get regularly, especially on the cask strength malts.... Dilution to 40 or 43% seems to cut down those aromas

Comments on the Glenfiddich 12? Thanks.

Looking at my ratings, I have a 6.5 out of 10 on it. I likely only had one bottle, but at that grade wouldn't buy it again. However, I like the peat/smoke, which is absent here, so mmv.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 12-14-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Clarity

Solid traditional bottling, but I'm not a huge fan. It's what I would describe as "inoffensive" but boring. Since a lot of bars serve it and there's like 50ml minis in the store, it's something you could fairly easily get a taste of it before springing for the bottle.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Solid traditional bottling, but I'm not a huge fan. It's what I would describe as "inoffensive" but boring. Since a lot of bars serve it and there's like 50ml minis in the store, it's something you could fairly easily get a taste of it before springing for the bottle.
    This.

I'd consider it for two in the morning around a camp fire when I've been drinking beer all day. Me & my friends would probably polish it off in 20 minutes without really noticing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This.

I'd consider it for two in the morning around a camp fire when I've been drinking beer all day. Me & my friends would probably polish it off in 20 minutes without really noticing.
    Pretty much agree with what's said above. It's fine, but not my first choice.

When it comes to Glenfiddich, I much prefer the 21, 18, or even the 15 as there's a fair bit more flavor even with just a little extra aging.

TBH, the Fiddich 12 is just an entry-level SM, just like the Oban 14, the standard Dalwhinnie (anybody tasted the Winter Gold, yet??), stuff like the GlenGrant & GlenKinchie and a few others, as they're a bit passe-partout and an experienced drinker shouldn't have to go back to them, unless they've got no other choice on offer.

Skip the Fiddich and get something more special and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, the Fiddich 12 is just an entry-level SM, just like the Oban 14, the standard Dalwhinnie (anybody tasted the Winter Gold, yet??), stuff like the GlenGrant & GlenKinchie and a few others, as they're a bit passe-partout and an experienced drinker shouldn't have to go back to them, unless they've got no other choice on offer.
    I'd agree with most of this, with the possible exception of the Glen Grant. At 10 years, & especially 15, it is a very decent, if "gentle", whisky.

But really, my affection for this whisky is historical - it's one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland, dating back around 175 years. It also was distilling malt whiskies even when blends were more or less all that you could find on the market.

A gateway malt, then, in two different senses...

What about Glengoyne? My cousin bought a bottle of the 21yr and he didn't like it, so he gave it to me for a much lower price. I think it's great!