Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kraan

Kraan

Just been introduced to this German who seem to have a sensational bass player. Any recommendations? Thanks.

My favorite is still the self-titled release from 1972. Wintrup (1972) the follow up is also quite good.

I prefer the albums with keyboards.
    I love Wiederhören and also like Live 88 with Joo Kraus.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Chad

Which one did you hear ?
    The first two are kraut'ish
    The next 4 incorporates more jazz elements, then they gets more melodious but still jazz-fusion, but there are pop-like tunes also scatterede on several albums.
    Go for the live albums to begin with.
    Live (74)
    Tournee (79)
    Live 88
    Are all really live and quite different from each other.

All about Kraan http://kraan.dk

Here is a bass solo extrordinaire (from the period around the album Tournee):

Long extensive interview I made with Hellmut Hattler about his style and his gear:

http://www.danbbs.dk/~m-bohn/kraan/hattlerbass.htm

Me:
    Before Kraan just a few bassplayers in rockmusic made bass-solos (I can remember John Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Jack Cassady, Tony Reeves, Felix Papparlardi) but you were a pioneer on bass-solos without any backing at all, and it became a good tradition to Kraan concerts, were you allways involved the audience in it. How did that come up?

Hellmut Hattler :
    Sometimes I had the intention to lead the lorry out of the mud (f.e. when the others were too stoned on stage, or just were lost in arrangements) so I escaped - in bass solos...

Personally I'd recommend:

Tournee
    Live '75
    Weiderhoren
    Let It Out
    <sig out of order>

My first two Kraan albums (back in the 70s) were Let It Out and Andy Nogger - both on the Passport label. My fav now is their second album Wintrup because it is (more or less) their most "rock" album, very much in an early 70s sense of the term. However I would say that the albums they recorded since their reformation in 2000 are the ones I listen to the most often. Great band, finally got to see them live this summer in Finkenbach!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I like all their early albums but Wintrup is my least favorite. Too much unfocused noodling
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My opinion is that the first four are essential:

Kraan
    Wintrup
    Andy Nogger
    Let it Out

I have been told that Live is also essential but I don't own it so can't state an opinion.

I discovered Kraan only recently as well. I started with the Live 2001 album which was a great introduction. To me they're a sort of German fusion version of Steely Dan (or maybe Phish.) Smart songwriting, wicked musicianship, and clever arrangements that come off brilliantly live.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    To me they're a sort of German fusion version of Steely Dan (or maybe Phish.)
    Are you familiar with the early albums? The heaviness-rawness of the sound can blow people out the window.

People tend to forget that despite the obvious fusion and psychedelic elements Kraan was at its core a heavy rock band, and one of the heaviest of the kind. Maximum intensity, monstrous (and superb) guitar riffs combined with wit and fine arrangements. Well, at least on these first 3 albums which I consider essential.

That debut is an outright classic - and Wintrup is almost equal to it, and greater in terms of inventiveness. The next 2 are also pretty good, but already drifting towards more conventional jazz-rock sounds.

The 70s albums are all worth owning. Unlike most bands, I’d actually recommend their live albums best: the ’75 Live double album and Tournee. Significantly, these include exclusive material (“Jerk of Life,” “Borgward,” etc.) not found on their studio albums. Also, live they are in their element.

Andy Nogger is probably my fave studio album of theirs, but there’s excellent listening to be had on the two before and after it, too.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I would go for one of the live albums. All of them are really good. If you want a compilation "The Famous Years Compiled" is a good one, with most of their best known tracks on it. I also like the "Soul Of Stone" studio album, which does not seem to be much of a fan favorite, but I have always dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would go for one of the live albums. All of them are really good. If you want a compilation "The Famous Years Compiled" is a good one, with most of their best known tracks on it. I also like the "Soul Of Stone" studio album, which does not seem to be much of a fan favorite, but I have always dug it.
    I agree "Soul Of Stone" is really an overlooked gem!

BTW - there is a new livealbum out:

https://www.bassball.net/shop/kraan/...he-trio-years/

I love Kraan. I have Live '74, Live '01 & Let It Out and love them all. I must say they get more play @ my house than many other bands.

While I knew of them & had one song on a charity compilation, 'twas Battema who really connected me to them.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thank you everyone for recommendations, sounds great, now to prepare myself for King Crimson tonight in London on Keith Emerson’s birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That is one of the few Kraan albums missing from my collection. The other one missing is X.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That is one of the few Kraan albums missing from my collection. The other one missing is X.
    X was never released on CD (no Wolbrandts and lacks the Kraan sound)

Hellmut Hattler : bass
    Ingo Bischof : keys
    Gerry Brown : drums
    Eef Albers : guitar
    Mark McMillen : vocal

Soul of Stone was not released in large numbers, neither on LP or CD, so its a bit hard to track. It has its focus on melodies.
    There is some for sale here at fair prices
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=9185&ev=mb

Its an reworked track from Hellmuts first album. This older version has a wonderful guitarsolo:

A not so typical track with middle east influence. It shows a super tight Hattler, showcasing why he is so well reputated

If you like more Helmut Hattler, you can try Ali Neander who did 2 albums featuring him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If you like more Helmut Hattler, you can try Ali Neander who did 2 albums featuring him.
    Yes they are good = fusion + Steve Morse or something.
    I have both the albums featuring Hellmut.