Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Violin in Progressive Rock

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    German prog band, Hoelderlin, has some very nice viola.

Not quite as virtuosic as some others mentioned so far, but quite tasty and moody.
    On Hölderlins Traum Christoph Noppeney also plays violin.

Some others:
    Wally
    ELO
    Violinski
    Last edited by Rarebird; 10-31-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    One Jean-Luc Ponty album that I’ve always liked but doesn’t get much love is Individual Choice.
    Well, I love it, but hé, it got Holdsworth on it, so...

Well, in a way my love for violin started with Slade's Coz I Luv You:

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    One Jean-Luc Ponty album that I’ve always liked but doesn’t get much love is Individual Choice.
    I avoided this one for a long time because of its "lesser" reputation. But I finally broke down and got it, and I also like it a lot. It's not that out of step with his classic material. I wouldn't put it at the top of that list, but I'm glad I have it and actually spin it a lot becuase it's one I'm not so intimately familiar with like his other albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Stanley Clarke and Al DiMeola used the same violin player on their recent tours.
    Yes, Evan Garr. I saw him with DiMeola a few years ago, and he was the star of the show in many ways. Amazing player, would love to see him do a challenging fusion album of his own, but he seems to be content in the side-man role.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^^^ That's nice.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

If we are extending this to viola, then Geoff Richardson with Caravan fits the bill.

Bill Ayasse - of Frogg Cafe fame
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Amon Duul II: Wolf City album...
    A lot of their albums, actually. Chris Karrer’s violin playing is always a joy to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    Edition Speciale
    I wasn’t aware they ever used a violin, but I still have not heard the first.

Stanley Clarke and Al DiMeola used the same violin player on their recent tours.
    Was it Karen Briggs? I know she played alongside Stan on the Vertú album, and she was superb. Regrettably, she’s probably best known for her work with Yanni (what the Hell? It pays the bills!).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Was it Karen Briggs? I know she played alongside Stan on the Vertú album, and she was superb. Regrettably, she’s probably best known for her work with Yanni (what the Hell? It pays the bills!).
    That was Evan Garr.

No one's mentioned Quella Vecchia Locanda?

American teenager, Don Lax, played violin on the debut.
    Claudio Filice took over marvelously on Il Tempo Della Gioia.

Also recommended for violin lovers: Asturias. Their last five or six records have had the great Tei Sena on violin. Amazing tone. Great player.

But I'll always reach for Kansas first when I want some violin Prog!!!
    The Prog Corner

Amarok, folk prog band from Spain, does not have a violinist as a band member, but every one of their albums has a violinist as a guest on some tracks.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I don't think anyone mentioned Big Big Train.

I don't think anyone mentioned Big Big Train.
    I think you're right Ed. The Underfill Yard is one of my favourite releases in the last 10 years.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, what a band Vertu was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    And David Rose

didn't know he'd done solo albums, but it makes sense

I wasn’t aware they ever used a violin, but I still have not heard the first.
    Third album only.... and before that he was in Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes and moved afterwards onto Pierre Moerlen's Gong (or the other way around, can't remember)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The first Gizmo, Just Like Master Bates (We Did It On Our Own) has some fine violin-playing by Maurice Memmott:

great stuff... I'll look more into it

According to RYM, these guys were from Canterbury, but completely escaped from my radar.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-31-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Dave Swarbrick of Fairport Convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

great stuff... I'll look more into it

According to RYM, these guys were from Canterbury, but completely escaped from my radar.
    Gizmo even called their label Canterbury Records: http://www.gizmo.uk.com/discography.html

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think you're right Ed. The Underfill Yard is one of my favourite releases in the last 10 years.
    I'm not that familiar with them but there is a show on Dime from 10/29/19 and the sound byte and line up had violin listed. The sound quality of the recording sounded pretty good.

I'm not that familiar with them but there is a show on Dime from 10/29/19 and the sound byte and line up had violin listed. The sound quality of the recording sounded pretty good.
    I'll have to check it out. Rachel Hall is the musician in the band that plays violin. I've been tracking back on this thread and listening/watching the YouTube clips. Lots of really nice stuff (e.g., David Rose/Gizmo).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Gizmo even called their label Canterbury Records: http://www.gizmo.uk.com/discography.html
    However, their style is not in what has come to be known as the "Canterbury" style. Still like them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Third album only.... and before that he was in Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes and moved afterwards onto Pierre Moerlen's Gong (or the other way around, can't remember)
    Horizon Digital? I have that album, and there’s no violin on it anywhere. Is there some alternate version with violin on it?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Horizon Digital? I have that album, and there’s no violin on it anywhere. Is there some alternate version with violin on it?
    Ooopsie, my bad... I got mixed up with Transit Express' Couleurs Naturelles (Don't ask me how )

Maybe because they're both French JR/F bands that made three albums in the same years

Maybe Bake2 made the same confusion.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-01-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.