Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vinatge Speakers Thread

The Vinatge Speakers Thread

So I know there are some older guys here (like) me, there were so many cool speakers back in the 70's (and later too) but I wanted to give ya a chance to tell what you (or your friends) had...

I'll go first, since I was quite young, I couldn't afford anything too killer, but I had a pair of 2-way Sansui LM 330 speakers, that had some kinda weird tweeter displacement set up, later I had a pair ESS Heil AMT 1D's, also owned a pair of the D-120 BES (Bertagni Electroacoustic Systems) still have them mounted up in my garage.

I recall really loving the Yamaha NS-1, it was a small bookshelf speaker that sounded awesome back in the day, but a pair of B&W DM601 or 602;s would probably blow them away nowadays...

Hmmm... I thought NS-1's were studio nearfield monitor speakers. Did people use them for bookshelf speakers as well?

I had a pair of Criterion 3003 Heil AMT Speakers. Had them for about 15 yrs. Got them with the Lafayette LR-9090 receiver. It was a real nice sounding system with power to spare. I recently had a major overhaul on the receiver and hope to get another 40 years out of it.

criterion 3003.jpg
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-24-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Bought these in 1976. Still have em and use em every day.
    AVID 100.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Mine are still Snell A2. Built in the early 80'ties.
    Bass drivers are replaced with new units.

I have old speakers at home, worn out, and you can't guess which company they are. This property remained from the father. Unfortunately, he died and it is not possible to ask him now what model it is. The speakers are still working and the sound is good.

In the summer of 1978 I bought a pair of Epicure (EPI) 100s from Tech HiFi. They were big and heavy. Loved them. They were made up the road from me in Newburyport, Mass.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I had some Genesis Model 1+ that I really liked. Odd inverted dome tweeter.
    Had some Bose 301, but I didn't like them as much.
    An then there was an odd pair of Warfedale W90's. Mid century modern furniture that made loud noise.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

My roommate sophomore year of college got a pair of what were then the 'new' large Advents. We put many, many miles on those over the next few years. I always thought they sounded amazing.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have a pair of Energy speakers. I have also a 5 speaker home theater set up with Energies that I didn't use for 8 years until I moved into my new house that has room for everything.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Jon Neudorf
    I have some JBL L100Ts (bought in the 80s) that have been in storage for years. Once my boys room is done cant wait to hook them up. They really kick ass.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My roommate sophomore year of college got a pair of what were then the 'new' large Advents. We put many, many miles on those over the next few years. I always thought they sounded amazing.
    Those were my first “real” hifi speakers as well, purchased new in 1972 along with a Marantz 2230 receiver and a PE 3060 turntable.

The Advents were very neutral-sounding, and really flawless other than the lack of that last bit of transparency that truly great speakers can provide. And they needed some amplifier power. I became a fan of Henry Kloss’ speaker-design approach, and was an early purchaser of his original 4-piece Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble in 1989. I still have those somewhere.

Mine were Ohm E-series speakers. Loved them!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Those were my first “real” hifi speakers as well, purchased new in 1972 along with a Marantz 2230 receiver and a PE 3060 turntable.

The Advents were very neutral-sounding, and really flawless other than the lack of that last bit of transparency that truly great speakers can provide. And they needed some amplifier power. I became a fan of Henry Kloss’ speaker-design approach, and was an early purchaser of his original 4-piece Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble in 1989. I still have those somewhere.
    In the mid 70's I was in an 'Audio club' in high school. It was mostly and excuse for an audio salesman friend of one of the faculty sponsor to bring in some great demos.
    One 'hot item' of the time ( Quadraphonic anyone? ) was stacked Advents with the top one upside down. Budget audiophile for the time.
    They also brought in Ohm A's and Allison One's and other 'high end' stuff.
    Good times
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    One 'hot item' of the time ( Quadraphonic anyone? ) was stacked Advents with the top one upside down. Budget audiophile for the time.
    I tried the stacking thing when I later got a second pair, but it didn’t do much for me. But I got big into Quad — open reel, all the different LP systems, etc. — and four Advents really sounded good. But when we got our house in ‘76 I went back to the simple pair of Advents for home listening, and everything else got used in the rehearsal/project studio in the garage.

I wish my Catholic boys high school in the sixties had had any clubs that weren’t about sports or religion. :/

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We still have and love our Genesis speakers. Weren't they supposed to not age well? They sound great.

I have some kickass Bose speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    We still have and love our Genesis speakers. Weren't they supposed to not age well? They sound great.

I bought a pair of "store model" 3 way speakers that were equally as loud as anything JBL produced. I was playing in a rock band at the time so I wanted that live open sound. The 15" bass driver didn't suck too much either. But when I opened them up and looked inside I think there was only a single resistor and cap on the tweeter. Definitely cheaply made and not a hint of any subtle or nuanced sound.

But I do have a love for good sounding older speakers. Now I have Apogee Duetta Sig's.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I bought a pair of "store model" 3 way speakers that were equally as loud as anything JBL produced. I was playing in a rock band at the time so I wanted that live open sound. The 15" bass driver didn't suck too much either. But when I opened them up and looked inside I think there was only a single resistor and cap on the tweeter. Definitely cheaply made and not a hint of any subtle or nuanced sound.

But I do have a love for good sounding older speakers. Now I have Apogee Duetta Sig's.
    Are store models similar to White van speakers?

bic.jpg

These were my first decent speakers in the early 70's
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I bought a set of GNP speakers back in the late 80s. Still using them.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's cool how long stereo equipment lasts. Speakers but also amps/preamps, CD players, etc.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I bought a pair of Polk Audio SDA-CRS monitors in 1988. My son owns them now, uses them in his (video) game room.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    As far as Bose goes, they get a lot of flack on the internet (sometimes deservedly so) but they made some great sound speakers. My fave was the 601s from the mid-to-late '80s. My brother had a pair of 901s that he hung from his ceiling pair with Cerwin Vega D9s. That was a loud system.