Page 165 of 185 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ For me Cardiacs is music that comes along in your life, changes it in a way, and you're never the same. How many times that happens probably varies from person to person but its special.
    Yep. It has been a long journey for me. But all along, even when I didn't know why exactly I kept coming back to the Cardiacs, I kinda knew the life changing moment would happen eventually.

And it is still an ongoing process. There are still times I can't stand 'em. Maybe it will always be that way. But the penny has dropped. I get them. They scratch a particular itch that no one else really can.

daisy pic.jpg

My yard.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I took this in my backyard the other day - found it reminiscent:

IMG_1768.jpg

Also, watching the coverage of yesterday's stage of the Tour de France, I noticed that each time a rider crossed the finish line someone blew a horn that sounded the first few notes of the Marseillaise, but with the top note (the 5th of the key) being replaced by the #4. Very Cardiacs. (insert music nerd emoji here)
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I took this in my backyard the other day - found it reminiscent:

IMG_1768.jpg

Also, watching the coverage of yesterday's stage of the Tour de France, I noticed that each time a rider crossed the finish line someone blew a horn that sounded the first few notes of the Marseillaise, but with the top note (the 5th of the key) being replaced by the #4. Very Cardiacs. (insert music nerd emoji here)
    That's cool. I've had the thought of really nerding out and counting how many of Tim's compositions contain the lydian mode....I know it's a lot lot lot...maybe someday?

Question: The tunes on Archive are the actual versions on The Obvious Identity and Toy World, yeah? - So were the rest of those tunes on the albums found in as good as sound quality as the Archive tunes? They sound really amazing for the date and considering Tim's age. Having those first two albums in amazing sound quality (a la Archives) would be beyond beyond.

PS - I had a near out-of-body listening to this last night in headphones. Actually I did twice in a row! Sir Kavus - you are absolutely correct mate! The way the keyboard lines interact is really astonishing, but it's so easy to get lost in the entire piece - whether it's Tim's voice, lyrical content, the keyboards, the melodies, the chords, the overall spaceiness and otherworldliness, etc, etc. It's another tune that mere words can't do it justice. Pieces like this, Dirty Boy, and Everso Closely Guarded Line really ask profound questions of myself that I probably can't explain here. Deep doesn't even begin to cover it.

Question: The tunes on Archive are the actual versions on The Obvious Identity and Toy World, yeah? - So were the rest of those tunes on the albums found in as good as sound quality as the Archive tunes? They sound really amazing for the date and considering Tim's age. Having those first two albums in amazing sound quality (a la Archives) would be beyond beyond.
    When I listen to the original cassette albums on youtube I find that the sound quality varies a lot between tunes. I also understood that some of the original mastertapes were lost of these recordings. But hey; that's why we have the garage concerts.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Craig Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra / Arch Garrison) has a solo album released today

it's very good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Listening now. Indeed very good. It DOES sound like a mix between NSRO and Arch Garrison.

Both of these are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Craig Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra / Arch Garrison) has a solo album released today

it's very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Listening now. Indeed very good. It DOES sound like a mix between NSRO and Arch Garrison.
    Nice surprise! Will have to pick this up on BC.

Both of these are wonderful.
    Wow! Going from Helen and Heaven right into Savour was seamless. I almost didn't realize they had changed songs. Way cool.

Now I'm listening to HBaEB.

Good lord this is great. This evokes a strong autumnal feeling for me after one spin. I may pick this up on vinyl if it's available....a wonderful album! Congrats Craig if yer out there.

Everything Craig does is pure gold for me. Shrubbies, NSRO, Arch Garrison; I love it all.

For this new album, released under his own name, I kinda hoped for something a bit different from what he has done before. It isnt really.

Dissapointed? Nah. I just love his writing style, so I love this too.

What are your absolute fav other Craig Fortnam albums? I've already played Arc three times - it pushes me button. Beep. Beep.........beep.

What are your absolute fav other Craig Fortnam albums? I've already played Arc three times - it pushes me button. Beep. Beep.........beep.
    Pffooo....like...all of them?

But gun to my head I would say:
    Shrubbies, NSRO -I a Moon, Arch Garrison -I will be a pilgrim. Really, all albums have a consistent high quality.

Special kuddos for the NSRO rework of Rock Bottom.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd probably go NSRO - I A Moon and Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pffooo....like...all of them?

But gun to my head I would say:
    Shrubbies, NSRO -I a Moon, Arch Garrison -I will be a pilgrim. Really, all albums have a consistent high quality.

Special kuddos for the NSRO rework of Rock Bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'd probably go NSRO - I A Moon and Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim
    Cheers guys. Will definitely revisit those.

Timmy xoxoxo
    21 July 2020

Timmy xoxoxo
    21 July 2020
    One year ago today already, eh?

I still think about Timmy quite often. His music is constantly in my head, even when I am not playing it. What a legacy.

Wow... It's already been a year? This one still hurts. Reckon I'll listen to some Cardiacs and other Tim-related works today.

One year ago today already, eh?

I still think about Timmy quite often. His music is constantly in my head, even when I am not playing it. What a legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wow... It's already been a year? This one still hurts. Reckon I'll listen to some Cardiacs and other Tim-related works today.
    Yep. Still beyond heartbroken. But this immense music lives on stronger than ever. I'd like to think that the "secret" is out more than it ever has been.

Ill be watching this again tonight in a bit:

Still working my way into the catalog. Received Ships and Irons and On Land... this week, so my collection of the "classic" lineup is pretty full. Gotta say, of all those, A Little Man... is an absolute masterpiece. So much going on. I also have (and love) Sing to God, but have yet to dig into the other quartet albums; they'll be next, I think.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Still working my way into the catalog. Received Ships and Irons and On Land... this week, so my collection of the "classic" lineup is pretty full. Gotta say, of all those, A Little Man... is an absolute masterpiece. So much going on. I also have (and love) Sing to God, but have yet to dig into the other quartet albums; they'll be next, I think.
    Awesome man!

I suggest to try to digest them one by one so take your time.