Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1265

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Kareem trade.
    Gretzky trade.

Probably others if I ponder it long enough.
    Kareem is a good one. LA gave up a lot but it definitely worked for them.

LA gave up a lot for Gretzky and Edmonton did win a cup 2 years later. But Gretzky greatly helped bring hockey to the west coast. The Kings also had a cup run that came up a little short.

If just think this trade is gonna crush the Lakers. They gave up a ton of #1’s and Ball plus James is no kid anymore. Davis is a great player but LA still has a ton of work to do because there is not much there anymore. Oh yeah, Davis can walk after one season. Huge risk. Maybe the biggest ever in NBA history. It will be interesting how this plays out
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...tulate-raptors

If only there was more of this in professional sports! Class move!!!

On the other end of the spectrum, would somebody PLEASE violently punch Lavar Ball in the groin?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...tulate-raptors

If only there was more of this in professional sports! Class move!!!

On the other end of the spectrum, would somebody PLEASE violently punch Lavar Ball in the groin?
    Really good to see on the part of Golden State. Sportsmanship, mostly a thing of the past.

The less said about Ball the better.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    sad we'll never get to see Zion + AD (if only because I wanted to see how the hell that would work) but still a cool trade, Lakers are gonna be a fun heel team and NO might potentially be great in a couple of years
    I don't think Davis was very smart (maybe that unibrow look traces back to Neanderthalic genes). If he stayed in NO and they drafted Zion, and perhaps convinced a high end FA or two to come in, his chances of success would be just as good, if not better, long term -- on a young team with incredible upside. And if you know anything about NOLA, if you give them something to cheer for (like the Ain'ts), they are rabid fans. LA is a zoo.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Wait til you see the parade and celebrations today folks. And after you marvel at that....imagine it 100X more when the Leafs win.
    I think you'll have to bring a cannon to the Leaf's parade to top the shootout at the Raptors celebration.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    If just think this trade is gonna crush the Lakers. They gave up a ton of #1’s and Ball plus James is no kid anymore. Davis is a great player but LA still has a ton of work to do because there is not much there anymore. Oh yeah, Davis can walk after one season. Huge risk. Maybe the biggest ever in NBA history. It will be interesting how this plays out
    if they sign another big name free agent I think they'll do well. I can see them signing Butler and fleshing out the roster with some vets/D-leaguers...hey, it worked for Miami, though obviously Lebron was younger then. sucks they lost Lonzo though - he'd fit well on this team, though its hard to say much about him until he can play more than 60 games in a season

the Davis free agency makes this season even more fun - I think he'll stay in LA if the team works, but if they wind up like that Kobe/Dwight/Pau/Nash monstrosity? he's gone and the Lakers' future is tanked, and Lebron may even wind up asking for a trade...stakes is high

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I don't think Davis was very smart (maybe that unibrow look traces back to Neanderthalic genes). If he stayed in NO and they drafted Zion, and perhaps convinced a high end FA or two to come in, his chances of success would be just as good, if not better, long term -- on a young team with incredible upside. And if you know anything about NOLA, if you give them something to cheer for (like the Ain'ts), they are rabid fans. LA is a zoo.
    I dunno about that, before this trade that roster was a waste. NO will definitely be good in the next 2-3 years but AD staying would just be pointless. Would've been fun though...not sure how you design an offense for two great big men but it would be entertaining to watch them try
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Kyrie and Durant to sign max deals with the Nets. Horford to 76ers. Kemba to Celts. Miami trying to acquire Jimmy Butler.

People here in the Phoenix area, as well as nationwide are saying "What the actual f***" about the Suns' first round draft pick. Even a good friend of Cameron Johnson was surprised and flabbergasted.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Whappen'?

Kawhi......to the Clippers. K'why?

Actually, I like it.

Heat off to a good start....8-3. We'll see.

no hoops fans here?

great season so far, with the Lakers being every bit as good as advertised, Luka going supernova, Harden scoring insane numbers and last year's MVP somehow being even better

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    no hoops fans here?

great season so far, with the Lakers being every bit as good as advertised, Luka going supernova, Harden scoring insane numbers and last year's MVP somehow being even better
    Pistons fan here, but not much to cheer about. So far they have regressed from last year.

The Sixers are laying down the law on the Bucks.

the Lakers have now lost 4 in a row. crazy after winning so many

RIP Kobe Bryant. Copter crash. I'm shocked. Dear god.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP Kobe Bryant. Copter crash. I'm shocked. Dear god.
    I just saw that on AOL. Reports: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash in Calabasas

I'm now hearing some of his kids were with him in the crash.

Not worth starting a thread for but I thought kind of interesting:

Lithuania may not look like the kind of country that’s good at basketball, but their national team has had more success than most of the larger European nations that surround them. However by the early 1990s the country didn’t have enough money to send the team to the 1992 Summer Olympics. When Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead read about the team in the San Francisco Chronicle he convinced each of his band members to donate $5,000 a piece to the team.

The Lithuanian team soldiered into the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona where they sported tye dyed jerseys featuring the colors of their flag and a slam dunking skeleton logo reminiscent of the Dead’s emblem. The team ended up winning the Bronze medal at the games, beating the Unified Team for third place, and at the ceremony they wore their Grateful Dead jerseys.

^ I remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Lithuania may not look like the kind of country that’s good at basketball,
    Actually they breathe, eat and play basketball. I've never seen so much love for the game anywhere else. Thanks for this great anecdote, of which I was completely unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Not worth starting a thread for but I thought kind of interesting:

Lithuania may not look like the kind of country that’s good at basketball, but their national team has had more success than most of the larger European nations that surround them. However by the early 1990s the country didn’t have enough money to send the team to the 1992 Summer Olympics. When Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead read about the team in the San Francisco Chronicle he convinced each of his band members to donate $5,000 a piece to the team.

The Lithuanian team soldiered into the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona where they sported tye dyed jerseys featuring the colors of their flag and a slam dunking skeleton logo reminiscent of the Dead’s emblem. The team ended up winning the Bronze medal at the games, beating the Unified Team for third place, and at the ceremony they wore their Grateful Dead jerseys.
    I remember that too. Very cool.

Caught Lakers vs. Celtics. Hell of a finish. Fucking Lakers.

A player from the Utah Jazz has tested positive for C19. The NBA has cancelled, or postponed the season. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    A player from the Utah Jazz has tested positive for C19. The NBA has cancelled, or postponed the season. Wow.
    I just read they cancelled the season.