Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GHOST RHYTHMS - avant-jazz progressive band

GHOST RHYTHMS - avant-jazz progressive band

Hello there ! I'm new to the forum (WHOHOOOO) and I would like to present myself and my band to you, much appreciated prog fans. I'm Xavier, I'm 36 and I live in Paris. I'm the drummer and co-composer of a band called Ghost Rhythms, which can be described as a blend between the Soft Machine, Magma, Steve Coleman and Bernard Herrmann, plus Genesis, of course, and Pink Floyd. We exist since 2005. The group emerged from different prog-oriented-bands on a commune desire to use jazz experimentation field. We made three albums, two of them are listenable here :
    http://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com
    The last one we made, Madeleine, is out since april 1st and we're very proud of it, but you are the judges! It's thought as an alternative soundtrack for Vertigo, the Hitchcock's movie. I'm here to receive feed-back about our work and, more proeminently, to finally understand WHY BRUFORD DID QUIT YES???
    Anyway, I'm grateful for any reaction to all that music, and I'll definitely post on those wonderful prog polls. My favorite prog album is Foxtrot, and my favorite track is Siberian Kathru.
    Thanks for your attention !
    Xavier
    Attached Images Attached Images

I received this cd in the mail yesterday. I'm looking forward to spinning it today.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Hi! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Welcome to PE, Xavier. I'm going to download this from Bandcamp. Love the couple of tracks that I sampled, so far.

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just heard about you guys in the last week & I'm loving both albums. Will be picking up both soon. Congratulations.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    Hi! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.
    It's a winner.There are a few tracks that have a certain sameness in rhythm and feel, imo,but there's more than enough variety and melodic richness to make this a top shelf release,one that i'm sure i'll be returning to often.

Carlotta Valdes may be my favorite track, so far.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This is great, I'm very honoured you guys like it. And thanks for pointing Carlotta Valdes, we did a hell of a work to get it properly done, so I'm very proud you named this one, Walt. And Ian, I hate to say that, but you'd better hurry if you want both albums since there's only 7 Sept Cercles left. I can keep you one if you want! Neil, thanks for your kind words, it's a thrill to know that this music is listened in Canada (well I sound like saying this is like some faraway magic place and that there's dragons there, but you know what I meant.)

Received my CD's yesterday. Both Madeleine and Sept Cercles are stunning albums. The are highly recommended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought Sept Cercles on download from bandcamp, will probably pick up Madeleine pretty soon.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow, yes. What a wonderful listen this is. A Bridge is quite lovely. Nicely done

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Received Madeleine yesterday. My first impression is that this is an essential release for avant prog fans. Many more spins will follow.

Welcome to PE, Xavier. I bought Sept Cercles from Wayside two years ago, based on Steve F's recommendation. It's a really good album in the jazz-rock vein. I am in the process of putting in an order to Wayside and Madeleine will be on it.

And if you really want to know why BB left Yes, in his autobiography, he basically says that Chris Squire drove him crazy (fou!).
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Thanks for all your kind words. It's very important for us (for me) to receive such comments! And, well, I knew the Fish drove BB crazy, but it sounded phony to me. Come on ! If people would just leave a band because of someone else in the band behaving like shit, well… Wait, that's exactly how it works. Geeeez.
    PS: Karel : thanks for all the good press you're making about us just everywhere, it's really sweet.

This is now officially my favorite album of 2015 :-)

can't wait to get the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    This is now officially my favorite album of 2015 :-)

can't wait to get the other two.
    That's a very nice thing to say, thank you! Anyone coming in Paris these days ? We have a couple of dates, with the movie playing behind our backs. Let me know, I'll note you on the guest list.

I've had Sept Cercles for some time and enjoy it.

Madeleine arrived last week and I'm just finally spinning disc 2. Nice album. It will need more spins to really absorb, but I think Ghost Rhythms does a nice job of integrating the sounds of jazz and rock. The sounds and instrumentation are very jazz oriented, but it is more composed than most jazz, and has many rock elements present. I'm not a big jazz fan, but I dig this. There is a "saminess" to some of it, but when it gets cranking, it's really great. Ton's of music on this one, being a double.

I guess it doesn't hurt that my wife's name is Madeleine. FWIW, she likes the album too, except she would have preferred a tenor sax solo over the bass clarinet solo on one song on disc 2. But she's a sax player, so she's biased. And she got over it, and just said she's really enjoying the album. She says, "Madeleine rocks." I can't disagree (or I'd be sleeping on the couch).

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I guess it doesn't hurt that my wife's name is Madeleine. FWIW, she likes the album too, except she would have preferred a tenor sax solo over the bass clarinet solo on one song on disc 2.

Bill
    Well, if Madeleine said that, who am I to tell otherwise ? She's always right. I think she's talking about the clarinet bass solo on A Bridge. Thanks for the detailed comment, it's a pleasure to read!

Great stuff ! I hope you get a good run in the future !

Reminds me a little of Nick Bärtsch Ronin - and not the least of Genesis & Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Reminds me a little of Nick Bärtsch Ronin
    Oh, Nil Bärtsch, it's an honour to be quoted in the same line as this excellent name…*I love his music. Thanks!

I think I can hear notes of Jaga Jazzist in the stew too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I think I can hear notes of Jaga Jazzist in the stew too ?
    I personally never listened to them, until 5 minutes ago. That's f***ing good. Animal Chin : what a production, dear God. It may be that some members of the band listen to them, I'll do a poll. Of other influences I know of on our musicians, and I think inevitably one can hear it in the music (even if all is composed by the pianist and I) : the bassist is a Cardiacs and Zappa fan.

Hey, don't miss our music on this swedish radio program, Kalejdoskop, on sunday. They will talk about us, in swedish. I hope they'll be kind to us. If a swedish-speaking guy or girl in the audience could kindly tell us afterwards if it was nice or nasty, I'll be for ever grateful.

I have listened to Madeleine once so far (over two evenings) and I must say that I think it is a great leap forward from Sept Cercles. I loved just about every minute of it. It is indeed a very cinematic album, which is in my wheelhouse (an American baseball term). My only criticism is that the last track on Disc 2 (La Circulaire) is a bit of a let-down (anti-climactic in film parlance) given the breadth and scope of this monster album. Well done, Xavier!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I'm very glad to hear that! You say you like every minute of it, well, it's a hell of a compliment. Thank you. Funny that you think the last tune (La Circulaire) is anti-climatic, since... well... you'd have to watch to see for yourself. Anyway, I'm very very proud to read those comments.

I haven't watched the movie in 20 - 30 years. I recall the ending (staircase/vertigo etc.) but if there was another scene after that, a summing up perhaps, then yes, I can see where La Circulaire might be appropriate.

It's early, but this my favourite release of 2015 so far!