Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: Surrender Of Silence released September 10

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Great is not the word used, the term excellent was used. Excellent suggests a relative comparison and near the top. Great is an emotional term and an absolute.

From wikidiff:
    As adjectives the difference between great and excellent
    is that great is very big, large scale while excellent is of the highest quality; splendid.
    Thanks professor. Please educate me further Dr Firth.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks professor. Please educate me further Dr Firth.
    I understand the feelings about Duke and how that has changed. I think it is because of the relative ness of music now versus then. There is so much mediocre and non-inventive stuff out there and when one listens to Duke now, that’s the feeling of how good it is now. Many here have talked about how good much of Duke is.

Banned
    Steve is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Nursery Cryme:

http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/ste...aY5fKQMruGmko4

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That song is way better than the first single.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^ Agree. Much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Agreed! And the singer is great! I think this is a much more successful attempt at blues-rock than anything he ever did on "Blues With a Feeling."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry, something must have been changed in the link. Reposting the second video from Steve’s upcoming album:

Cool song. Great guitar work. Powerful video.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Cool song. Great guitar work. Powerful video.
    Who wrote that? Sounds a LOT like a Flower Kings track.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Truthfully, not a fan of the video, but it's great to hear Steve cut loose. And I think the music itself expresses everything in the video.
    I don't enjoy watching this type of image after image, really been there done that! in these times of 24 hr news, social media, cable and internet news, these are things we are bombarded with hourly, and music is a nice step away from that.
    Not saying everything should be sunshine and rainbows, because there's a lot of bad stuff out there, and his song gets that across without visuals showing us.

Just my POV of course!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

It's better than the last one for sure but yet another song in the Kashmir vibe. I could also do without the video.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Agreed! And the singer is great! I think this is a much more successful attempt at blues-rock than anything he ever did on "Blues With a Feeling."
    Who is the singer, Nad or maybe Steve with effects and backup?

Sounds like Steve singing. I thought the song was surprisingly good and the guitar work impressive. Count me among those who could do without the video. I don't need visuals. Top Cat said it best a few posts above this one.

Steve has been repeating himself since 2003. Like someone said, the 3rd rate Kashmir knock off has been done by him umpteen times. And his videos are really cheesy.

It’s probably hard for someone in his 70s to reinvent himself. I don’t blame him for not progressing at this stage of his career.

I’ve been a fan of Steve’s music since the 80s, but I’m done and tapping out. My last purchase was Wolfworks.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post

I’ve been a fan of Steve’s music since the 80s, but I’m done and tapping out. My last purchase was Wolfworks.
    Wolflight*

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Steve has been repeating himself since 2003. Like someone said, the 3rd rate Kashmir knock off has been done by him umpteen times. And his videos are really cheesy.

It’s probably hard for someone in his 70s to reinvent himself. I don’t blame him for not progressing at this stage of his career.

I agree with this and also bailed out after Wolflight. Hackett should at least try new producer. That might not help with his compositions but at least he could get away that awful manufactured and sterile sound that all his "recent" albums have had.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry, something must have been changed in the link. Reposting the second video from Steve’s upcoming album:

I'm barely familiar with Steve's solo work, and yet even I think the opening of this song is a rip off of another song of his Mechanical Bride. Some kind of change to his producers, band, etc. might do him good, as some are suggesting.

Neil

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm barely familiar with Steve's solo work, and yet even I think the opening of this song is a rip off of another song of his Mechanical Bride. Some kind of change to his producers, band, etc. might do him good, as some are suggesting.

Neil
    I don’t disagree…

What's a "Blu-ray Mediabook"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Poor Steve....
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

Neil
    Hmm, I always thought Mechanical Bride was a pastiche of 21st Century Schizoid Man. So does this new one constitute a rip off of a rip off?

Poor Steve....
    Yep, I wish I had it as bad as he does.

Okay, I wouldn't dye my hair.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Had the pleasure of chatting with Steve today about the new album, upcoming tour, drummers, and even Prokofiev! Thought some of you might enjoy:

^ Thanks for posting! Very enjoyable. Interesting to watch him weigh every word, every sentence. He has to watch what he says. He has to consider who might be offended. Such is the situation for the veteran Prog musician.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Thanks for posting! Very enjoyable. Interesting to watch him weigh every word, every sentence. He has to watch what he says. He has to consider who might be offended. Such is the situation for the veteran Prog musician.
    true this is.

I think Steve has always held back saying negative stuff about band members, etc, at least in the interviews I've seen and read.
    I like to think of him as the Gentleman's Elder of Classic Progressive Rock.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457