Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad: Final Season

Another gripping episode. Fists clenched kinda tension, love it! Oh, that Tim Watley... he's a crafty one!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My favorite character is Saul. Lydia does a great job at being an uptight sociopath! The only bad thing about watching last night's episode is waiting a week for the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    My favorite character is Saul. Lydia does a great job at being an uptight sociopath! The only bad thing about watching last night's episode is waiting a week for the next one!
    I agree- it would be incredible if Lydia could wind up on Saul's show. Didn't know about BC and the Superman movies- he'd make a good Lex but I'm not really a fan of them

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I agree- it would be incredible if Lydia could wind up on Saul's show.
    Lydia does a good job of masking her Scottish accent. She played Lavinia in Titus, starring Anthony Hopkins (film version of the Shakespeare tragedy Titus Andronicus). A horrible role for a young woman to have to play!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I've never seen the show; no cable TV & no money. I have heard it is very popular. They say it is about meth dealers. What I want to know is why it is called "Breaking Bad."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Lydia does a good job of masking her Scottish accent. She played Lavinia in Titus, starring Anthony Hopkins (film version of the Shakespeare tragedy Titus Andronicus). A horrible role for a young woman to have to play!
    Oh wowl... I saw that back when it came out. Very cool movie.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I've never seen the show; no cable TV & no money. I have heard it is very popular. They say it is about meth dealers. What I want to know is why it is called "Breaking Bad."
    From wiki (I think quoting Vince Gilligan): "The title of the series comes from the American Southwest slang phrase "to break bad," meaning to challenge conventions, to defy authority and to skirt the edges of the law. The series is set in (and is shot in and near) Albuquerque, New Mexico."

As to how that relates to the show- watch it! It's worth it.

Oh wowl... I saw that back when it came out. Very cool movie.
    Yes, I love it. I wasn't as impressed with that same director's take on The Tempest, but Titus was fantastic.

I agree- it would be incredible if Lydia could wind up on Saul's show. Didn't know about BC and the Superman movies- he'd make a good Lex but I'm not really a fan of them
    How about this: Hank's single-minded pursuit of Walt costs him his career. But without his work, he is nothing. So he becomes the "new Mike," of sorts, for Saul on that show. Wouldn't be the worst way to go.

That makes a lot of sense actually. If he survived his reputation would be destroyed, his family wrecked... he'd be thought of as a criminal so might as well just be one. He's certainly tough enough (though the limp is an issue). But he'd never go that way, he's a True Believer.

I'm kind of assuming that the Saul show can't be a sequel anyway (if he even lives); it needs to be a prequel show about how Saul became Saul.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    How about this: Hank's single-minded pursuit of Walt costs him his career. But without his work, he is nothing. So he becomes the "new Mike," of sorts, for Saul on that show. Wouldn't be the worst way to go.
    I doubt that Hank could be on Saul’s show. Dean Norris is one of the main characters in “Under The Dome” which has been the ratings hit of the summer and has already been renewed for a 2nd season. My guess would be that Norris would not be able to do two full time series.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I doubt that Hank could be on Saul’s show. Dean Norris is one of the main characters in “Under The Dome” which has been the ratings hit of the summer and has already been renewed for a 2nd season. My guess would be that Norris would not be able to do two full time series.

Steve Sly
    Then scratch that!

I'd never heard of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Then scratch that!

I'd never heard of the show.
    It is an adaptation of the Stephen King book. I think it is on CBS Monday nights. It has been the #1 ratings getter of the summer. Norris plays Big Jim Rene, who is one of the main characters in the story.

Steve Sly

Steve Sly

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    It would be way cool if Hank could be on Saul's show, but I don't see that happening...

"Marie, that's the final nail in my coffin." Hank is going up the river, or more likely in the next few episodes or finale, six feet under....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Yep, Hank's going down. He's committed his own sins...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Anyways, Alan Sepinwall, as usual, has an excellent recap which lays out the timeline for the ricin/Huel/switcheroo, which helped clear thing up for me.
    Thanks for that link, NeonKnight, it was helpful to me too! As much as I dig the show, I gotta admit that there's things that slip right past me as I'm watching them, and other things that I just have trouble keeping track of, especially with the time lag between seasons. Maybe I'm just dense, but maybe it's actually a pretty complex story and you could watch the entire series three times and still be picking up on something you missed initially the third time through. Kind of like good prog.

Anyway, another riveting episode! I just watched it now and had to buy it from Vudu, thanks to yet another cable/internet outage in my building. We've been having outages almost weekly and they seem to always happen on a Sunday. But that's another story...
    Last edited by No Pride; 08-27-2013 at 12:56 PM.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Not a problem Ernie, glad to help!

Sepinwall is truly a brilliant reviewer. He usually has his review up by the next morning, and I always make it a point to check him out afterwards. I would highly recommend going back through his BrBa archive if you have any other lingering questions about the best show in TV history.

Along with Alan's excellent reviews are the amazing comments below them. Some of the insights there are just as intuitive as Alan's are, the fans of this show are amazing.

Also, Alan reviews a ton of other TV shows, likely he reviews something else you like. His Soprano reviews are legendary, a must read if you are a fan. (I think Heisenberg is just another version of Tony in a way.)
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

It is an adaptation of the Stephen King book.
    And a rather poor one. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the book, I can't stand to watch the show (and I've tried). The butchering of the story is only one of the problems with it. And it's apparently extremely popular, go figure!

Just a note to say that I'll be sad to see Walt go, however he does go...but man, I'm enjoying these last episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    And a rather poor one. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the book, I can't stand to watch the show (and I've tried). The butchering of the story is only one of the problems with it. And it's apparently extremely popular, go figure!
    I think it will be interesting to see if “Under The Dome” has the staying power for a 2nd season. I have kept watching it, but agree that compared to something like “Breaking Bad” the acting, writing, and overall production are not up to par and I would be surprised if they don’t have a drop off in viewership if they don’t do something to up the quality in the 2nd season. Norris is pretty good in the show, but most of the actors around him are not on the same level.

Steve Sly

I think it will be interesting to see if “Under The Dome” has the staying power for a 2nd season. I have kept watching it, but agree that compared to something like “Breaking Bad” the acting, writing, and overall production are not up to par and I would be surprised if they don’t have a drop off in viewership if they don’t do something to up the quality in the 2nd season. Norris is pretty good in the show, but most of the actors around him are not on the same level.

Steve Sly
    Under the Dome is also a Summer show where there is less competition on Network TV. I watched three episodes before throwing in the towel based on the sheer stupidity of the characters.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Another tense episode.

That's two completely unexpected twists from the writers for me.... (the confession, and what stops Jessie). Where are you people picking up information on Sauls show? I heard Vince say that was going to be his next project, but haven't heard anything about it since then.

Bob Odenkerks (yeah, I can't spell it) imDb page lists a spinoff show as his next project- not that that is reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The only bad thing about watching last night's episode is waiting a week for the next one!
    That's why I resisted watching the first three weeks' episodes.......until last night. Now I am caught up, and have to wait until next week !!