Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to expand my prog tastes!

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Since Porcupine Tree is in your list I would recommend:

Riverside
    Blackfield
    Airbag

And of course Steven Wilson's solo output.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Yeshua meschiach, that's terrifying
    Few here likely got the reference. I did.

Although, isn't there usually a Ha between the 2 words?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Although, isn't there usually a Ha between the 2 words?
    To what is the reference?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Messianic Jewish reference to the Christian Jesus.

Jesus = Joshua = Yeshua = Y'shua.

I actually was a little unclear on if he wanted to know about more prog that was similar to what he already knows, or if he wanted to expand to MORE of the less mainstream stuff. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who wasn't sure.

I actually didn't recommend anything because I wanted to see how he responded to what was being suggested.
    I guess the answer is both! Actually what would be helpful if someone said hey i also enjoy the symph bands you listed, but in addition I like x,y and z, so you may like them too! But I think I’m pretty much getting that in the responses so far. I appreciate everyone’s input!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    If you like Anglagard's overall aesthetic, Anekdoten and All Traps on Earth will likely please.
    My recommendation with Anekdoten: start with their newest album (Until the Ghosts Are Gone) and work backwards. Some will try to push you towards their Crimso-cloney early albums, but do not listen to them. This is a band that got better with each successive release. I was just listening to From Within after a long time away, and I was impressed by the quality of an album that many have dismissed over the years. I hear a lot of love for the likes of Landberk and Opeth, but to my ears, Anekdoten perfected that musical style on From Within and Gravity. Not a popular opinion, perhaps, but there you have it.

If you like Eloy, Nemrud is sure to please.
    Ramses are a good band in the Eloy style. La Leyla is recommended.

As for liking Pain of Salvation... maybe Kamelot or Iron Maiden? Shots in the dark, but hey.
    I am far from a metal-head, but I highly enjoy Kamelot, and own five of their albums. Excellent vocals and they do have a way with a melody. Epica is my favorite.

There's also some great Italian bands out there worth exploring. I'd recommend starting with Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso.
    Beware, diving into the world of 70s Italian prog is a serious trip down the rabbit hole. There is a ton of it, much of it excellent, even some of the obscure bands that never produced more than one or two albums. I am consistently amazed at how much creativity exploded in such a short space of time!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Messianic Jewish reference to the Christian Jesus.
    Ah, I thought it was more than just the Hebrew - that the whole sentence was used in a Peter Hammill song or something.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post

Transatlantic
    UK
    Univers Zero
    I see you like UK. Have you tried any Asia? It's quite a jump from UK but I think you'll find many rewards in the Trans Am Prog space.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I see you like UK. Have you tried any Asia? It's quite a jump from UK but I think you'll find many rewards in the Trans Am Prog space.
    Yes, big Asia fan! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Since Porcupine Tree is in your list I would recommend:

Riverside
    Blackfield
    Airbag

And of course Steven Wilson's solo output.

I do have SW solo and Blackfield, both are very good. I heard some riverside once and was not really drawn in. I don’t know why, on paper it seems to be something I should like.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    If you like Hammond organ driven prog, you might want to explore the niche that contains a number of bands that were playing in the UK in the early 70s, & between whom a number of band members moved, including: Fields, Greenslade, Quatermass, Rare Bird, Spring, Samurai & Web. There was a thread a while back about this style of music here: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ght=quatermass

There are so many threads from the past that you could mine for treasures - but this discussion is amongst the very richest: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...to-prog-thread
    Thanks, I have not heard any of these bands. I do like the Hammond so I will check them out

Songs from 2019:

RPWL: "What I Really Need": terrible video, very good song. Audio only: https://invidio.us/watch?v=mKdGacEUhGM
    RPWL: "A New World": in all honesty, the video is better than the song. Video here: https://invidio.us/watch?v=lhHlCx-OlsU
    Avantasia: "Moonglow": excellent video, good song: https://invidio.us/watch?v=Mk0FTHqmO9o

But why isn't Kansas on your list??? From 1975, "Song for America": https://invidio.us/watch?v=7IVX3XjSpAE

These particular albums that have yet to be mentioned should fit your tastes quite well, and each fits snugly into the wide-ranging definitions of 1970's "prog":

Curved Air -- "Phantasmagoria"
    Todd Rundgren's Utopia -- "Todd Rundgren's Utopia"
    Nektar -- "Remember The Future"
    Quiet Sun -- "Mainstream"

Reading the list I am surprised nobody mentioned the Samurai of Prog from the current great bands. I would throw in also all of the projects from Colossus which mainly involves members of SoP. By the same token Resistor should be also worthwhile as well as the solo albums by Steve Unruh.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Well, I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so based on your list, I would definitely recommend...IZZ! They are an excellent modern symphonic prog band with great, melodic tunes and very solid vocals. Every one of their releases from I Move (2002) to the new release Don't Panic are all top-shelf.

IZZ.

neil

Oh, was Frogg Cafe mentioned? Maybe.

If the OP is still digesting suggestions that suit his criterion of ‘expanding’, without tipping over into full avant, I’d suggest trying the following two classics from the ‘Golden Era’:
    1. Picchio dal Pozzo- S/T
    2. Tasavallan Presidenti- Lambertland

Both of these go a bit beyond the comfortable confines of gateway prog but are playful, original, and slightly off-kilter in a continental Canterbury way. The former is, most will agree, one of the stalwart albums of Italian prog, but sound like no one else from that scene. The latter are Finnish, and along with Wigwam, combine idiosyncratic well-crafted compositions that are nothing else like the Finnish scene of the day. Both still provide me with plenty of joy and are firmly ensconced in my personal top 20. In fact, PdP may be my all-time favourite ever prog thing period.

A more decent discovery in a similar vein:
    Henry Fool- Men Singing
    Quirky, yet highly listenable complexity (all instrumental). Reminded me of the great Quiet Sun.

Oh -- yeah ... If you like Magma and the improvs of "Double Duo" Krimson, try the Finnish group Hidria Spacefolk.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations. I do intend to listen to every single band! It will take a while of course, but there's certainly no rush!

If those who are responded are interested in my feedback on their suggestions, I can definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    You did read the list yourself?
    Obviously not!!! I'm dumb.
    The Prog Corner

Not much of an expansion, but a solid addition to what you already like, would be "The Paranormal Humidor" by Somnambulist from 2001.

Well, if you have White Willow I don't see why you should need anything else ...
    But on the serious side. You MUST get Wobbler. And apart from that, the recent Italian scene has some of the best stuff. SKE, for one - inventive symph/RIO crossover. La coscienza di Zeno - awesome keys! La Maschera di Cera - picking up that Le Orme heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Well, if you have White Willow I don't see why you should need anything else ...
    But on the serious side. You MUST get Wobbler. And apart from that, the recent Italian scene has some of the best stuff. SKE, for one - inventive symph/RIO crossover. La coscienza di Zeno - awesome keys! La Maschera di Cera - picking up that Le Orme heritage.
    I must agree with this Jacob fellow....White Willow is awesome!

Thanks, I will definitely check these out. I seem to have some disorder where I cannot stop buying music. Always wanting more... to my wife's great exasperation I'm sure!

White Willow and Ske are great. Wobbler I find great at times.