Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: PE v3.0 nearly a year later... Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    It was a bit tough at first, but I've adjusted.
    This is pretty much my experience. I’ve figured out how to do the things I want to do here, so it basically works for me. But it all seemed easier on the old site.

I still find it a pain to have so many forums, and that you have to exit to a master menu to select another forum. I wind up spending far less time on the non Main Board forums, and hardly glance at most forums. The quote feature is a minor annoyance, and I sometimes find using multi-quote problematic. I usually just copy things out into Word document and edit from there.

This said, I do understand the reasons for the switch, and appreciate all the work that went into the transition. The new site has run smoothly and hopefully is easier to administer. This is still a fantastic resource and I’m on here just about every day.

Cheers,

Bill

Took some getting used to, but having done so, I'm delighted by the "new" site.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Not that it took a long time to get used to it, despite some non-intuitive features, 3.0 is quite fine... Indeed, the way I use it is like a form of three forums 2.0 versions, with settings as the bookmarked threads.

I still miss (a bit) the 2.0 quote feature, but got used to the new "check" in the lower right-hand corner of the posts... once I discovered its existance.

I'm not sure that the PE3.0 Groups have replaced the PM section of 2.0. At least in the groups that I partcipate in, it doesn't seem as alive as the PM of yesteryear, but maybe it's just an impression.

Unfortunately, the blog section is not a success... I've never seen more than three people in the chatroom (though I'm often asleep - or close to go to bed - when when it's early evening on North Am),

I also thought the creation of interesting thread was rather dire at first on 3.0, but then again the last months of 2.0 weren't exactly exciting in that dept...

Overall, mucho kudos to the two Sean and Duncan ... and whoever else is behind the scene that we don't know or forget about...

I'm still missing the fact that we don't have extensive polls (they were part of the reasons why I got attracted to this place), but maybe this is too hard to organize on this canevas...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Good call on the polls, I'd certainly like to see their return and is one of the few things I do over at PA.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I still think we need a separate "What Is Prog?" category. And once you enter that forum, you can never get out.

meh....

Cons: No more PMs (let the PM naysayers have at me...). We've also lost some good members along the way (could anyone conceive of this site existing without Lino?)

Pros: The place is so vast now that I find it much easier to avoid some of the members that grate on my nerves. I avoid entire sections these days. In fact, I don't think I've ever opened every forum yet!

I'd like to see the decor get revamped though. The standard version is kinda dull and the classic PE look is so dated imo...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The fact is, I have not had to think about it at all. That means the people behind the scenes are kicking ass, and this is a good place for me to say THANK YOU!

Im used to it--I guess the sheer amount of subsections I find a bit fiddly, often an interesting thread used to catch my attention and I dont always see it now if I dont pop into that subsection and nor is it there on "whats new" if I dont happen to have popped in that day--unless I go back on it a helluva way.

Lots of things are better though, ability to change text etc and all the birthday stuff etc hived off. Personally i think it would have worked with "on topic", "off topic" and "WTF" -very off topic (and all community stuff , births, marriages etc in that section) --something like that anyway. I also think the PM was actually quite good on reflection for things that the mods didnt want on here but in which their was actual interest. Im sad too that some good people didnt seem to come along and a few rather offensive ones seem to have joined in more.

Three thumbs up from me.
    Everything about the site is better.

And as for members who've left--Lino's departure had nothing to do with the switch. But for those that didn't make the switch, I just can't fathom why.....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Three thumbs up from me.
    Everything about the site is better.

And as for members who've left--Lino's departure had nothing to do with the switch. But for those that didn't make the switch, I just can't fathom why.....
    Completely agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, it's still fun to bitch about the lack of a selective quote function

Other than that, I'd say better in every way...
    Right Said Fred!

Too Sexy!

(sorry, couldn't help myself!)

I likes it just fine. Hard to remember who old PE looked like. Editing quoted comments is no big deal; I'd rather have it work that way.

What I do miss is the reviews. Those reviews cost me endless amounts of money! And I sometimes got "lost" in there for hours.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

I didn't do much in the old system, but I learned to do much more with the new one. (though I do agree with the quote selection gripe) However, I think it's slicker and I liked it from day 1.

I appreciate all the hard work from everyone involved. I don't think "Thank You" can be said enough...
    ...so Thank You again!!!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post

I can't speak for him but I know that some folks felt that the soul was sucked out of this place after the switch. Some bailed right away, other stuck around. It all depends on why you came here in the first place. I find the current format a lot more sterile than the older version but maybe that sterility is conducive to a more sober discussion. I used to come to PE to post in the many PMs I was in. Now, there are no PMs and since I loathe the "group" function, I only come here to post on the mains. It's a different experience but since so many topics that used to be PMs are now allowed on one board or another, I've learned to adapt.

If the soul was centered in their minds around the PM culture then it probably was sucked out. But at the end of the day this place is mainly about musical discussions so I can't shed many tears over PMs going by the wayside.

PEv3? It's a groovy far out happening scene man and I dig it the most. But I don't spend as much time here as I used to...not sure why, maybe it's just life getting in the way more often. The changes were good, and honestly, I don't miss the old haunt at all anymore. Nostalgia be damned. Hip Hip Hurray!
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Exactly Sean. That's why some of us are still here. I knew folks that were only in PMs and never on the mains. Once that was gone they were gone. They were fringe members towards the end. I spent a lot of time there so when it was gone this place did not seem as much fun to me. I spent less and less time here. However, I do still have some interest in discussing music (though rarely prog) and I still like to keep in touch with my virtual friends here so eventually I started posting more frequently again. The OT and Way OT can be very similar to what the PMs were and the fact they they are open to anyone to contribute at any time keeps them more fresh and relevant than the old PMs ever were. It took me a while to see that.

"And the Luddites will be dragged kicking and screaming into PE 3.0"

I've stopped kicking & screaming.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I think most of the people who bailed on PE3 were already disaffected with PE2.The switch and somewhat more cumbersome format just sped up their decision.

This site still provides me with information about different kinds of music(s).That's what i'm here for.To share what i know and love and read (and hear) what others love(about music).Anything(everything) else about PE is secondary,to me.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    We've also lost some good members along the way (could anyone conceive of this site existing without Lino?)
    Two comments on this...

1) Lino may or may not have been a big fan of the change, but he didn't leave PE because of the site change. I know you know that, but I just thought I'd clarify.

2) I really don't care about those people who refused to make the migration. PEv2 was falling apart and change was inevitable and necessary. Forgive me for saying this, but there is no "good member" of PE if they left PE because the site migrated.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Exactly Sean. That's why some of us are still here. I knew folks that were only in PMs and never on the mains. Once that was gone they were gone. They were fringe members towards the end. I spent a lot of time there so when it was gone this place did not seem as much fun to me. I spent less and less time here. However, I do still have some interest in discussing music (though rarely prog) and I still like to keep in touch with my virtual friends here so eventually I started posting more frequently again. The OT and Way OT can be very similar to what the PMs were and the fact they they are open to anyone to contribute at any time keeps them more fresh and relevant than the old PMs ever were. It took me a while to see that.
    I, for one, am happy you stuck it out.

Still no black chewing gum or x-ray glasses. I just can't understand this.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    PMs going by the wayside.
    Steve F has possession of the old PM's?!!

Who was the old legal nut on PE2 who insisted he'd never leave even if he was the only one there whistling in the dark? Nestor? I remember him doing multiple posts to himself in the last days when he was the only one there.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I came in to PEv2 about four years ago so I can't speak for anything earlier than that. In my opinion and for my main purposes of being on PE which is to gain as much knowledge,opinions and exposure to my listening preferences as well as other kinds of music I think the new site rocks and contains a bit more diversity than before. It appears that a few of the more popular members have been lost but there are still many members here who's thoughts and opinions I respect and hold in high regard. That being said there also a few who members who's post make me cringe but that's what a forum is all about we all have our say. I would like to thank all the people responsible for making this site available to us all your doing a great job!

I'll give my personal take as a user/mod...

Pros:

- Site doesn't crash.

- I like all the expanded forum choices and the fact that one can use the "new posts" method to get the news feed.

- Better blocking tools. Notice how it's a little more civil around here with a little attrition.

- Easy to post, edit, insert vids, etc.

- full site on mobile devices works well.

- The BB software is upgradable and more future proof.

Cons:

- Groups are a big FAIL imo. For those who liked PMs, it really didn't replace it at all. I probably check my groups once/week now. On the flip side, since something like "baseball" is on the main forum, there's no need to go to groups.

- Quote feature. That PEv2 quote feature ruled. PEv3 and many other similar BB software are a step back.

Wish List:

- More significant musical topic starters. I feel this has improved slightly, but is still down from the early years (circa 2005). I like learning about new music personally (old or modern), not the same stuff over and over again.

- Posting limits. Just from my perspective, there are a handful of people that dominate the site (or have way too much time on their hands) and post every thought that enters their head. The PEv2 posting limit at least helped with that a bit.

- A good poll system: because encouraging participation is always good for the site.

- Makeover a bit. I like that Duncan kept the color scheme for the changeover, but the look is still patchworked from the launch.