Thread: Petra Haden - Astonishing Vocals or What?

Petra Haden - Astonishing Vocals or What?

From what I can see, other than some random commentary and references, there does not appear to be any focused discussion on Petra Haden here at PE. I know there are a number of you who are fans and can jump start those with interest in creative vocalese and the types of collaborations she has traversed to date. My introduction to her is the amazing Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out. I am curious where she will go next.

Please chime in!

Link:

https://youtu.be/WfD4o-LAPSo

Done by one person, acapella, with who tf knows how many overdubs. A major f*****g achievement imho.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

For the "If it ain't prog I'm not interested" segment of the PE universe, here's Petra's acapella take on Mr. Fripp's "Red".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    For the "If it ain't prog I'm not interested" segment of the PE universe, here's Petra's acapella take on Mr. Fripp's "Red".
    No, here's Petra's a cappella take on Mr. Fripp's "Red."

She has also posted versions of "Frame by Frame," "Matte Kudasai," and "The Sheltering Sky."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I haven't heard of her. I will definitely check these links out when I get home later!!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I haven't heard of her. I will definitely check these links out when I get home later!!
    You very well may have heard of her father, Charlie Haden, jazz composer/bassist, Bill.

You very well may have heard of her father, Charlie Haden, jazz composer/bassist, Bill.
    Wow of course, I have some Charlie in my collection. Didn't know he had a daughter but she's very good!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Wow of course, I have some Charlie in my collection. Didn't know he had a daughter but she's very good!
    Actually he had more than one daughter - Petra is one of triplets!

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    And they all sing.....

https://youtu.be/7NBTwmjqUrY

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    From what I can see, other than some random commentary and references, there does not appear to be any focused discussion on Petra Haden here at PE. I know there are a number of you who are fans and can jump start those with interest in creative vocalese and the types of collaborations she has traversed to date. My introduction to her is the amazing Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out. I am curious where she will go next.

Please chime in!
    Here’s a song from Charlie Haden Family and Friends that is arranged by Pat Metheny.

Thanks for the above. It has some of the stylistic and performance flavor of Bill Frisell’s Harmony with Petra Haden, Hank Roberts & Luke Bergman that I saw at Big Ears 2019. In both cases, Petra gets sympathetic and poignant treatment from guitarists.

Lovely.

I've only ever heard her cover of the Who Sell Out album. From the looks of it, I'll have to check out some more of her stuff. I really like her version of Red.

Had the pleasure last night to hear Petra and Bill Frisell in concert. Bill with an amp, Petra with a mic, and an hour and a quarter of beauty. Her pitch, control and range are all outstanding, and he's an amazing accompanist. Song choices were mostly americana and great american songbook. Just delightful - recommended if you have the chance.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    One of them is married to actor Jack Black, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Had the pleasure last night to hear Petra and Bill Frisell in concert. Bill with an amp, Petra with a mic, and an hour and a quarter of beauty. Her pitch, control and range are all outstanding, and he's an amazing accompanist. Song choices were mostly americana and great american songbook. Just delightful - recommended if you have the chance.
    Hey, I was there too! As you said, a delightful show. Frisell's a genius--such perfect minimalist accompaniment. Every little jazzy run he did was designed to support and highlight Petra's voice and the melodies. So original. No showboating at all from Bill.

Feel free to PM me next time you come down to IC for a show. Lots of great artists this past year at the Englert: Rundgren, Little Feat, GYBE!

^^^
    Will do! Yeah, for such a small venue, they do a pretty good job. I was a little taken aback by the small-ish turnout; sure would have been nice to have more folks there to witness such a high level of musicianship. I've been going to the Englert for a very long time, since I was a student at U of I from '79-82 (my three freshman years ). Last time was to see ZPZ what, 4 years ago or so? Let's keep an eye on the calendar; it would be cool to meet up and hoist a pint.
    David

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hey Steve! I hope you're being treated well in the afterlife. Here's to you buddy!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post

Please chime in!
    Her album with Bill Frisell is staggering (Petra Haden and Bill Frisell), as is the guitarist"s album Harmony, in which she's a member of the band. There are many other examples of her, with others and on her own, that position her as an inimitable singer with few, if any, parallels.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

The whole family is gifted as was Charlie Hadens family already...the father had a weekly country family Radio Show and there is a tape where you Hear Charlie yoddle as a little boy...there is a great and touching documentary about Charlie Haden...forgot the name...Ramblin' boy..btw Charlie was a great singer too...one of my all-time favourite tunes Charlie singing Wayfaring Stranger...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Charlie Haden : Rambling Boy (86min)

For rent on vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/ondemand/charliehadenramblingboy

Rambling Boy is great; the footage of Haden and Keith Jarrett playing duo at Keith's home studio is worth the price by itself, but there's lots more to love. I've rented it through Vimeo but would buy it for my home library in a heartbeat if it were available.
    David

Rambling Boy is great; the footage of Haden and Keith Jarrett playing duo at Keith's home studio is worth the price by itself, but there's lots more to love. I've rented it through Vimeo but would buy it for my home library in a heartbeat if it were available.
    Same here ...one documentary I really like to have on DVD